The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Chemo Brain? 5 years out from biochemo, should I feel this way?

Forums General Melanoma Community Chemo Brain? 5 years out from biochemo, should I feel this way?

Participant

Hi, I was diagnosed Stage 3a in 2005 and went through 4 rounds biochemo at UCCC.  Everything was looking really good after 2 years, so through IVF I became pregnant and had my first at the end of 2009, got pregnant again (unexpectedly/naturally) and had my second in March of 2011.  I haven’t had any scans since 2008.  My last head MRI was early 2009.  For a long time now, I always feel slightly buzzed or dehydrated.  I don’t know how else to explain it, my head feels a little heavy and I always feel on the verge of getting a headache.

Hi, I was diagnosed Stage 3a in 2005 and went through 4 rounds biochemo at UCCC.  Everything was looking really good after 2 years, so through IVF I became pregnant and had my first at the end of 2009, got pregnant again (unexpectedly/naturally) and had my second in March of 2011.  I haven’t had any scans since 2008.  My last head MRI was early 2009.  For a long time now, I always feel slightly buzzed or dehydrated.  I don’t know how else to explain it, my head feels a little heavy and I always feel on the verge of getting a headache.   I can’t concentrate well, am really forgetful and I feel my vision is splotchy or dark, or I will see things out of the corner of my eyes.  I have discussed this briefly with my Onc in the past and he said that its most likely chemo brain.  I am concerned that it may be slowly getting worse.  I can’t tell if it is, or maybe due to lack of sleep with my kiddos and all the hormones?  Shouldn’t I start feeling better?  Should I ask for another scan? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Absolutely ask for another scan – push for it, just to be safe.

That said,  it could also be a combination of chemo and mommy brain.  Kids can have a negative impact on thought and concentration because of the amount of attention they need.  I remember feeling like I hadn't completed a thought in months.  For me it is almost 6 years from interferon and 8 years from chemo for another cancer and just this summer I felt as if the fog had lifted.  

One more thing – if you are concerned about it push your onc to take it seriously and not say "oh, just chemo brain".

good luck

Fen
          Participant

Absolutely ask for another scan – push for it, just to be safe.

That said,  it could also be a combination of chemo and mommy brain.  Kids can have a negative impact on thought and concentration because of the amount of attention they need.  I remember feeling like I hadn't completed a thought in months.  For me it is almost 6 years from interferon and 8 years from chemo for another cancer and just this summer I felt as if the fog had lifted.  

One more thing – if you are concerned about it push your onc to take it seriously and not say "oh, just chemo brain".

good luck

RMcLegal
            Participant

I'm nearly 8 years out of biochemo at UCCC and am still experiencing problems with short term memory and concentration.  I've also had an unexplained retinal problem in my left eye.  With that said, it's always wise for us melanoma survivors to err on the side of caution and report symptoms to our docs– and the folks at UCCC have always encouraged me to call or come in between regular checkups if I think something might be amiss.  Best wishes to you.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

mombase
                Participant

Hi Rich,

Thank you for sharing your blog. I find it VERY entertaining and helpful, too.

Cristy, Stage IV

RMcLegal
                  Participant

Cristy, thanks.  I hope you are doing well.

RMcLegal
                    Participant

Cristy, thanks.  I hope you are doing well.

mombase
                      Participant

Hi Rich,

Thank you for sharing your blog. I find it VERY entertaining and helpful, too.

Cristy, Stage IV

RMcLegal
                      Participant

I'm nearly 8 years out of biochemo at UCCC and am still experiencing problems with short term memory and concentration.  I've also had an unexplained retinal problem in my left eye.  With that said, it's always wise for us melanoma survivors to err on the side of caution and report symptoms to our docs– and the folks at UCCC have always encouraged me to call or come in between regular checkups if I think something might be amiss.  Best wishes to you.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

nicoli
                        Participant

I don't understand. You are stage 3 and aren't getting regular scans? Why? Surely the people at UCCC strongly suggested a regular scan schedule. What's up?

Nick, Stage 4

nicoli
                          Participant

I don't understand. You are stage 3 and aren't getting regular scans? Why? Surely the people at UCCC strongly suggested a regular scan schedule. What's up?

Nick, Stage 4

kmulligan
                            Participant

I went through 4 round of biochemo at UCCC in 2010.  While last checked, I am cancer free, I am still foggy and slow compared to before treatment.  I am also dealing with clinical depression, something I never dealt with before treatment.    If anything, the depression meds are making things worse.

I feel sure this is realated to my treatment, but I can get no professional to agree with me.  

It is having a profound impact on my work.  Not to say I cannot do my job, but I was put in to the job I have because I was much better than other candidates and now I am not.  It makes it harder to justify keeping my position.

I have not seen any treatments that claim to help with the  problerm.  The ABC report suggest chemo-brain can last up to 20 years.  WOW.  

Seems like the only thing I'm qualified for now is Congress, but I still a conscience so I can't do that.  

If anyone hears any new info about beating chemo-brain and can remember long enough to post it hear, please do.  

kmulligan
                              Participant

I went through 4 round of biochemo at UCCC in 2010.  While last checked, I am cancer free, I am still foggy and slow compared to before treatment.  I am also dealing with clinical depression, something I never dealt with before treatment.    If anything, the depression meds are making things worse.

I feel sure this is realated to my treatment, but I can get no professional to agree with me.  

It is having a profound impact on my work.  Not to say I cannot do my job, but I was put in to the job I have because I was much better than other candidates and now I am not.  It makes it harder to justify keeping my position.

I have not seen any treatments that claim to help with the  problerm.  The ABC report suggest chemo-brain can last up to 20 years.  WOW.  

Seems like the only thing I'm qualified for now is Congress, but I still a conscience so I can't do that.  

If anyone hears any new info about beating chemo-brain and can remember long enough to post it hear, please do.  

kmulligan
                                Participant

jag
                                  Participant

Two words, 

Caffeine and B vitamin Complex.

I get my caffeine supply in the form of Red Bull and Green Tea fat burner supplements-not to lose weight, just to keep me thinking on my toes.  Drink lots of water and pee bright green and before you know it you are in the zone.  

To be fair, I am on Keppra and Lamictal which can slow down one's thought process quite significantly.  

Excercise helps too.

jag
                                    Participant

Two words, 

I get my caffeine supply in the form of Red Bull and Green Tea fat burner supplements-not to lose weight, just to keep me thinking on my toes.  Drink lots of water and pee bright green and before you know it you are in the zone.  

To be fair, I am on Keppra and Lamictal which can slow down one's thought process quite significantly.  

Excercise helps too.

jag
                                      Participant

Two words, 

Excercise helps too.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics