The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Chemo after IPI

Forums General Melanoma Community Chemo after IPI

Participant

Any recent experience with Chemo?  My husband completed IPI treatments in December.  IPI was awesome against the lung mets, but hasn't touched other tumors.  He also is among the not so lucky 2% that came away with Adrenal gland issues.  (Currently controlled with hydrocortisone)  He is not symptomatic and no mets in vital organs…

Any recent experience with Chemo?  My husband completed IPI treatments in December.  IPI was awesome against the lung mets, but hasn't touched other tumors.  He also is among the not so lucky 2% that came away with Adrenal gland issues.  (Currently controlled with hydrocortisone)  He is not symptomatic and no mets in vital organs… that's the good news and he's still positive and fighting the fight.  He ws negative for the BRAF gene, so the doc says the next treatment option would be chemo.  We know that doesn't have the best track record against melanoma, but anyone have experience to share?  Nothing happening right now as my husband is feeling pretty well and plans on enjoying the summer. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Amanda
        Participant

Is he eligible for a Pd-1 trial?  My boyfriend did yervoy and achieved stable disease, but no shrinkage for about 6 months, then progressed.  Then started an Anti-Pd1 trial february 1st, all this tumors have shrunk dramatically, and are still shrinking slowly now.  Only side effects were some joint pain in his knees.  

I'm sure others will chime in with opinoins as well.  Feel free to ask me any questions and i'd be glad to ask to the best of my knowledge and experience..

Amanda
          Participant

Is he eligible for a Pd-1 trial?  My boyfriend did yervoy and achieved stable disease, but no shrinkage for about 6 months, then progressed.  Then started an Anti-Pd1 trial february 1st, all this tumors have shrunk dramatically, and are still shrinking slowly now.  Only side effects were some joint pain in his knees.  

I'm sure others will chime in with opinoins as well.  Feel free to ask me any questions and i'd be glad to ask to the best of my knowledge and experience..

Amanda
            Participant

awillett1991
              Participant
                I would definitely be aggressive in researching an anti PD1 trial. There are some slots around, and supposedly more coming soon. I did biochemo, it did not work. Chemo is not a cure for melanoma and often makes you feel terrible and leaves a lot of damage in its wake. Better to research and get in a trial while he’s feeling good, instead of waiting until you’re desperate. There are a lot of requirements and timing issues involved.
                  Sandy11
                  Participant

thanks to all for the thoughts on anti PD1.. will definitely look into it. I don't know yet if his adrenal system shut down will put him out of the running for the trial. Will be seeing the doctor later this month. My husband's doc is very open to trials and the latest treatments available so no concerns there. What type of treatment is this? i.e. pill, infusion.. it appears to hold less side effects than ipi.

Amanda
                    Participant

Yes, Pd-1 has shown to have less side effects that Yervoy, and it is administered as an infusion in the vein, just like yervoy..but for the Pd-1 (at least for us) the infusion itself is about a 30 minute infusion, as apposed to the about an hour and a half infusion we had on the Yervoy.  

Amanda
                      Participant

Yes, Pd-1 has shown to have less side effects that Yervoy, and it is administered as an infusion in the vein, just like yervoy..but for the Pd-1 (at least for us) the infusion itself is about a 30 minute infusion, as apposed to the about an hour and a half infusion we had on the Yervoy.  

Amanda
                        Participant

Sandy11
                          Participant

thanks to all for the thoughts on anti PD1.. will definitely look into it. I don't know yet if his adrenal system shut down will put him out of the running for the trial. Will be seeing the doctor later this month. My husband's doc is very open to trials and the latest treatments available so no concerns there. What type of treatment is this? i.e. pill, infusion.. it appears to hold less side effects than ipi.

Sandy11
                            Participant

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              I would definitely be aggressive in researching an anti PD1 trial. There are some slots around, and supposedly more coming soon. I did biochemo, it did not work. Chemo is not a cure for melanoma and often makes you feel terrible and leaves a lot of damage in its wake. Better to research and get in a trial while he’s feeling good, instead of waiting until you’re desperate. There are a lot of requirements and timing issues involved.
                              awillett1991
                              Participant
                                JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

i AGREE THAT THE pd-1 tRIALS LOOK LIKE BOTH THE EASIEST AND MOST LIKELY SUCCESFUL TREATMENTS TO GO TO,

I will also point out that Ipi the IL-2 has shown succes in some cases.  

An additional point to remember is that after either Ipi or IL-2 there is a greater chance that older Chemo treatments may be more beneficial then when used as a stand-a-lone chemo.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

i AGREE THAT THE pd-1 tRIALS LOOK LIKE BOTH THE EASIEST AND MOST LIKELY SUCCESFUL TREATMENTS TO GO TO,

An additional point to remember is that after either Ipi or IL-2 there is a greater chance that older Chemo treatments may be more beneficial then when used as a stand-a-lone chemo.

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

I will also point out that Ipi THEN IL-2 has shown success in some cases.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Tamils
                                            Participant

I saw you're in the Davis area; UCSF (Dr. Adil Daud) is recruiting for Merck's anti-PD1 trial.  No randomization. 

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01295827?term=lambrolizumab&rank=1

Tamils
                                              Participant

I saw you're in the Davis area; UCSF (Dr. Adil Daud) is recruiting for Merck's anti-PD1 trial.  No randomization. 

Tamils
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics