The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Check ups post Stage 2 Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Check ups post Stage 2 Melanoma

Participant

Three years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Malignant Melanoma at 29 years old.  I have a family history, I am fair, and I have had many childhood burns.  

Fortunately, I did not have to have chemo/radiation treatment but I do get skin checks twice a year. My doctor does a chest scan and lab work every year.  Do other patients with the same history as I have also have to get these done anually?  What are they looking for with these tests?  And finally, is it necessary to do it for every year? 

Three years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Malignant Melanoma at 29 years old.  I have a family history, I am fair, and I have had many childhood burns.  

Fortunately, I did not have to have chemo/radiation treatment but I do get skin checks twice a year. My doctor does a chest scan and lab work every year.  Do other patients with the same history as I have also have to get these done anually?  What are they looking for with these tests?  And finally, is it necessary to do it for every year? 

I am having two biospies this Wednesday. This will be my 10th and 11th shave biopsy since my original diagnosis.  All but one have come back significant abnormal but not MM.  One of the moles being removed is right below my nipple–very undesirable place to have a shave biopsy! ๐Ÿ™

Sometimes I feel in dark about melanoma because I was an army wife and moved frequently, changing dermatologists often and being told various things.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sarah

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeborahG
        Participant

I was diagnosed Stage II back in 1996 and also had skins checks every six months.  Once a year, I did have blood work and chest x-rays; however, it was probably due to my age and other health issues.  I still have my skin checked by a doc 2x a year – once by my regular primary care doc and once by my derm.

DeborahG
          Participant

I was diagnosed Stage II back in 1996 and also had skins checks every six months.  Once a year, I did have blood work and chest x-rays; however, it was probably due to my age and other health issues.  I still have my skin checked by a doc 2x a year – once by my regular primary care doc and once by my derm.

DeborahG
            Participant

DeborahG
              Participant

Also, why is your doc doing shave biopsies?  They should never, ever be done, especially on someone who has already been diagnosed with melanoma.

mrssam1979
                  Participant

I've been to 5 different dermatologists and most of them have done shave biopsies.  Do you think they should do MOHS? Why should they not do shave biopsies…

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Janner
                    Participant

Mohs is really not used for melanoma with the possible exception of Lentigo Maligna.  Mohs uses frozen section techniques for pathology.  However, processing tissue in paraffin and using stains specific to melanocytes is a better approach for identifying melanoma in tissue.  The problem with shave biopsies is that they are not a full skin thickness biopsy.  Therefore, if a lesion were melanoma, it is possible the shave could cut through the middle of the lesion.  Once you have cut through the lesion, you lose the depth information and you can no longer accurately stage an individual.  Say a lesion was cut through and the biopsy showed 1.35mm.  Even if the WLE showed an additional 1mm of melanoma, you couldn't say the lesion was 2.35mm deep.  You can't line up the pathology "sections" from the biopsy with the WLE tissue so you don't know the deepest part of the lesion.  The best you can say is the lesion is "at least" 1.35mm with residual melanoma seen.

Many derms do shaves because they are quick, require no stitches (or followup visits) and are easy.  Most can be done in the same office setting.  For me, they hurt more and don't heal as well as a punch biopsy or an excisional biopsy.  They may be easy for the derm, but they are not my choice for any lesion suspected of being melanoma.  Punches and excisional biopsies tend to require a little more time and there may not be that time scheduled into a normal office visit.   There is a time and a place for a shave biopsy, but many melanoma patients refuse them based on the difficulties they may cause in staging.  You need to do what works for YOU!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

Mohs is really not used for melanoma with the possible exception of Lentigo Maligna.  Mohs uses frozen section techniques for pathology.  However, processing tissue in paraffin and using stains specific to melanocytes is a better approach for identifying melanoma in tissue.  The problem with shave biopsies is that they are not a full skin thickness biopsy.  Therefore, if a lesion were melanoma, it is possible the shave could cut through the middle of the lesion.  Once you have cut through the lesion, you lose the depth information and you can no longer accurately stage an individual.  Say a lesion was cut through and the biopsy showed 1.35mm.  Even if the WLE showed an additional 1mm of melanoma, you couldn't say the lesion was 2.35mm deep.  You can't line up the pathology "sections" from the biopsy with the WLE tissue so you don't know the deepest part of the lesion.  The best you can say is the lesion is "at least" 1.35mm with residual melanoma seen.

Many derms do shaves because they are quick, require no stitches (or followup visits) and are easy.  Most can be done in the same office setting.  For me, they hurt more and don't heal as well as a punch biopsy or an excisional biopsy.  They may be easy for the derm, but they are not my choice for any lesion suspected of being melanoma.  Punches and excisional biopsies tend to require a little more time and there may not be that time scheduled into a normal office visit.   There is a time and a place for a shave biopsy, but many melanoma patients refuse them based on the difficulties they may cause in staging.  You need to do what works for YOU!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

mrssam1979
                          Participant

I've been to 5 different dermatologists and most of them have done shave biopsies.  Do you think they should do MOHS? Why should they not do shave biopsies…

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

mrssam1979
                            Participant

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

DeborahG
                            Participant

Also, why is your doc doing shave biopsies?  They should never, ever be done, especially on someone who has already been diagnosed with melanoma.

DeborahG
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

What about deep shave, sometimes called saucerization?  I thought there were some studies indicating that was 2nd best to excisional method?

JC
                                  Participant

What about deep shave, sometimes called saucerization?  I thought there were some studies indicating that was 2nd best to excisional method?

DeborahG
                                      Participant

My derm has never done a shave biopsy and I've had at least 20 since 1996.  If it is worrisome enough to take off, it is worrisome enough to cut out.

DeborahG
                                        Participant

My derm has never done a shave biopsy and I've had at least 20 since 1996.  If it is worrisome enough to take off, it is worrisome enough to cut out.

DeborahG
                                          Participant

JC
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics