The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Changes in immune system?

Forums General Melanoma Community Changes in immune system?

Participant
      I am 5 months NED after finding melanoma in a lymph node in my left posterior neck. We never found a primary, and I had a left posterior neck lymphadenectomy (36 nodes out) last December. So far so good.
      Last September, my noise started running. This problem has gotten worse over time, to the point where I have a pretty much permanent post-nasal drip, hacking cough, and can’t get more than 4-5 hours sleep at once (not a good way to fight cancer!). My ONC is fairly sure thue problem isn’t allergies, but cannot offer much help on what it is.
      I know that my issue is pretty small compared to what many of you deal with, but I worry about how to keep fighting melanoma when I’m always tired and dragging. Plus, my wife cannot get any when we’re in the same bed, which stinks for both of us.
      Anyone else have an experience like this? Suggestions?
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

My guess is that this doesn't have anything to do with melanoma and you may be seeing the wrong kind of dr for this. Have you seen your GP instead of your onc about it?  I'm going to sound like a really bad commercial here, "I'm not a doctor but I'm married to a pharmacist."

Sounds like sinus drainage that hasn't been treated.  For one, don't lay flat in bed. Elevate your neck and head. Try an over-the-counter like Loratadine….only after consulting with your GP first. Just because it doesn't sound like alleriges, doesn't mean it isn't.  Allergies can begin any time and be to anything.  Also, allergy-like symptoms can be caused by other things but still remedied like allergies.

I'd talk with my GP or my pharmacist…the one you get all your scrips filled from, who knows your meds & history.  They usually know more than the GP about what you're taking and drug interactions and can steer you to what may bring you relief without conflicting with something you're already taking.  AND< they'll tell you who you need to see if you need a dr. with this.  Never overlook your pharmacist as a resource!

Good luck!
          Grace and peace,

Carol

Dynasysman
            Participant
              Thanks, Carol. I consult to BioPharma companies, so I get your commercial :>). Pharmacists can be a great resource

Antihistamines (loratidine, now Allegra) provide minimal relief, although they always worked in the past. Right now, we’re trying Nasonex on top of Allegra. It has only been a couple of days, but it’s promising…

The thing I forgot to mention is that while my last PET-CT showed no tumor, it suggested a slight thickening of the mucosal wall. My ONC referred me to an ENT, so we’ll see.

Dynasysman
              Participant
                Thanks, Carol. I consult to BioPharma companies, so I get your commercial :>). Pharmacists can be a great resource

Antihistamines (loratidine, now Allegra) provide minimal relief, although they always worked in the past. Right now, we’re trying Nasonex on top of Allegra. It has only been a couple of days, but it’s promising…

The thing I forgot to mention is that while my last PET-CT showed no tumor, it suggested a slight thickening of the mucosal wall. My ONC referred me to an ENT, so we’ll see.

Carol Taylor
              Participant

My guess is that this doesn't have anything to do with melanoma and you may be seeing the wrong kind of dr for this. Have you seen your GP instead of your onc about it?  I'm going to sound like a really bad commercial here, "I'm not a doctor but I'm married to a pharmacist."

Sounds like sinus drainage that hasn't been treated.  For one, don't lay flat in bed. Elevate your neck and head. Try an over-the-counter like Loratadine….only after consulting with your GP first. Just because it doesn't sound like alleriges, doesn't mean it isn't.  Allergies can begin any time and be to anything.  Also, allergy-like symptoms can be caused by other things but still remedied like allergies.

I'd talk with my GP or my pharmacist…the one you get all your scrips filled from, who knows your meds & history.  They usually know more than the GP about what you're taking and drug interactions and can steer you to what may bring you relief without conflicting with something you're already taking.  AND< they'll tell you who you need to see if you need a dr. with this.  Never overlook your pharmacist as a resource!

Good luck!
                Grace and peace,

Carol

CKasper
                Participant

Did you go through any Interferon Therapy?????  I had two surgeries and 25 lymphonodes removed and since that and 1 week of high does inf therapy, I have had random rashes, swelling in the arm where the lymphnodes were not taken out, swelling of the bottoms of my hands and the palms of my hands, severe joint pain, and bone pain, and I had my surgery in 2006 and still sufffer from these side effects today.  I don't know if its the Interferon or if it has to do with the amount of lymphnodes they remove, because lymphnodes are the filtering system for our entire body.  After the two surgeries under my arm I then has severe chronic pain from the surgery which never went away.  If I had it to do again….I would l think real hard before I'd jump, but when they tell you how terrible it is and you might die, you do just about anything.

I hope for your sake all your symptoms go away…..I really do….Stage IIIB

Dynasysman
                    Participant
                      I decided not to do Interferon. Since it does not appear to prolong survival, it felt as if I was merely trading misery for misery. Better just to live. So I cleaned up my diet and have tried to minimize stress and, except for this mucous thing, so far so good.
                      Dynasysman
                      Participant
                        I decided not to do Interferon. Since it does not appear to prolong survival, it felt as if I was merely trading misery for misery. Better just to live. So I cleaned up my diet and have tried to minimize stress and, except for this mucous thing, so far so good.
                      CKasper
                      Participant

Did you go through any Interferon Therapy?????  I had two surgeries and 25 lymphonodes removed and since that and 1 week of high does inf therapy, I have had random rashes, swelling in the arm where the lymphnodes were not taken out, swelling of the bottoms of my hands and the palms of my hands, severe joint pain, and bone pain, and I had my surgery in 2006 and still sufffer from these side effects today.  I don't know if its the Interferon or if it has to do with the amount of lymphnodes they remove, because lymphnodes are the filtering system for our entire body.  After the two surgeries under my arm I then has severe chronic pain from the surgery which never went away.  If I had it to do again….I would l think real hard before I'd jump, but when they tell you how terrible it is and you might die, you do just about anything.

I hope for your sake all your symptoms go away…..I really do….Stage IIIB

EmilyandMike
                        Participant

Hello – I just wanted to tell you my husband's story because your cough is familiar.  Mike was 41 when diagnosed (stage 3a) and for the past couple of years before he had a nasty cough that emerged each Spring.  When I found his melanoma almost 2 years ago, he was just getting over this horrible cough once again.  He was worn out from over a month of coughing, not sleeping well, working too much, etc…and his immune system had to be very low.  I have heard of others being diagnosed after illness or pregnancy – when your immune system might not working as usual.  Each time he got this cough it seemed like it wasnt stemming from allergies or a cold or congestion.  It was weird.  This year, he is just getting over a month long cough again (was not fun for me either due to no sleep!).  He did have a little congestion this time but not a lot – the doc could actually see post nasal drip even though he didnt really feel it.   To cover all bases, the doc gave him antibiotics, an asthma inhaler and codeine syrup – none of this helped.  It has been over a month now and he is still coughing – but just a little.  

My husband did not do interferon either – and this was the first time he has been sick since his diagnosis so his system seems to be working better than it used to.

For you, it doesnt seem to be getting better which worries me.  Why won't they do a chest xray?  I would demand one if you arent getting scans in the near future.  You need your rest and there has got to be something that can help you feel better.

Best,

Emily

http://www.emandmichael.com

EmilyandMike
                          Participant

Hello – I just wanted to tell you my husband's story because your cough is familiar.  Mike was 41 when diagnosed (stage 3a) and for the past couple of years before he had a nasty cough that emerged each Spring.  When I found his melanoma almost 2 years ago, he was just getting over this horrible cough once again.  He was worn out from over a month of coughing, not sleeping well, working too much, etc…and his immune system had to be very low.  I have heard of others being diagnosed after illness or pregnancy – when your immune system might not working as usual.  Each time he got this cough it seemed like it wasnt stemming from allergies or a cold or congestion.  It was weird.  This year, he is just getting over a month long cough again (was not fun for me either due to no sleep!).  He did have a little congestion this time but not a lot – the doc could actually see post nasal drip even though he didnt really feel it.   To cover all bases, the doc gave him antibiotics, an asthma inhaler and codeine syrup – none of this helped.  It has been over a month now and he is still coughing – but just a little.  

My husband did not do interferon either – and this was the first time he has been sick since his diagnosis so his system seems to be working better than it used to.

For you, it doesnt seem to be getting better which worries me.  Why won't they do a chest xray?  I would demand one if you arent getting scans in the near future.  You need your rest and there has got to be something that can help you feel better.

Best,

Emily

http://www.emandmichael.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics