The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Change in treatment plans – AGAIN!

Forums General Melanoma Community Change in treatment plans – AGAIN!

Participant

Dave was scheduled to start IL-2 on Monday, the 15th.  He went to our local hospital after having a "tightness" in his chest and they did a CT scan.  The scan showed significant growth in his lymph nodes in his chest, now pressing on a major vessel.  They called today and are scheduling him to start radiation prior to IL-2 (they worry that the swelling during IL-2 may cause the vessel to be compromised).  IL-2 has been postponed until the 22nd now.  I'm not sure what type of radiation they are doing, as they mentioned maybe 1-2 sessions of high dose.

Dave was scheduled to start IL-2 on Monday, the 15th.  He went to our local hospital after having a "tightness" in his chest and they did a CT scan.  The scan showed significant growth in his lymph nodes in his chest, now pressing on a major vessel.  They called today and are scheduling him to start radiation prior to IL-2 (they worry that the swelling during IL-2 may cause the vessel to be compromised).  IL-2 has been postponed until the 22nd now.  I'm not sure what type of radiation they are doing, as they mentioned maybe 1-2 sessions of high dose.

I hate this damn disease, and my frustration level is through the roof right now…

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MariaH
        Participant

Correction, he will start the 29th.

Phil S
            Participant

Maria     I hope that the radiation will shrink those tumors so you can get onto your IL2 plan.  I have been following your posts as you seem like a wonderful advocate for your husband's care.  My husband also recently got diagnosed as Stage IV, and its down right scary for them and for us. Take care of yourself, and keep us posted! We will be thinking of you and your husband and hoping for the very best.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

MariaH
              Participant

Thank you Valerie.  We will keep you posted.  Radiation went well yesterday, he termed it a "piece of cake".  Hope it continues that way.

Maria

MariaH
                Participant

Thank you Valerie.  We will keep you posted.  Radiation went well yesterday, he termed it a "piece of cake".  Hope it continues that way.

Maria

Phil S
                  Participant

Maria     I hope that the radiation will shrink those tumors so you can get onto your IL2 plan.  I have been following your posts as you seem like a wonderful advocate for your husband's care.  My husband also recently got diagnosed as Stage IV, and its down right scary for them and for us. Take care of yourself, and keep us posted! We will be thinking of you and your husband and hoping for the very best.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

MariaH
                  Participant

Correction, he will start the 29th.

CarolA
                    Participant

Oh, #$@!!!     Oh, Maria.   ( I keep erasing what I'm writing, as what I want to say is redundant to what you are feeling)   I am frustrated for you and Dave, too.   I can't imagine the level of frustration, having a plan in place, only to have a damned obstacle in its course.   I'm sorry.    Maybe, maybe the silver lining is this unplanned radiation?   Maybe it will give a boost to start the battle?   I pray for good results in this plan.   My thoughts are with you.   You are doing a great job caretaking and researching.

CarolA-Stage III

Amherst, NY

MariaH
                        Participant

Hi Carol,

Dave's appointment was today at 2.  He starts radiation tomorrow at Roswell.  The tumors in his chest (being matted lymph nodes) are now measuring 9 x 3.8 x3.9 cm and 5.8 x 4.5 x 6.4 cm.  Yes, that is a 9 cm for the longest one.  He will do 10 treatments and be given a week of rest before IL-2.  They also have put him on steroids to reduce the swelling, which have to be out of your system two weeks prior to starting IL-2.  Given IL-2 results improve after radiation (although that is high dose, given the Friday before IL-2), I am really hoping that this is the silver lining.  I have never heard of such a large tumor – that's what scares me.

#$@!!!

I'll keep you posted –

Maria

MariaH
                          Participant

Hi Carol,

Dave's appointment was today at 2.  He starts radiation tomorrow at Roswell.  The tumors in his chest (being matted lymph nodes) are now measuring 9 x 3.8 x3.9 cm and 5.8 x 4.5 x 6.4 cm.  Yes, that is a 9 cm for the longest one.  He will do 10 treatments and be given a week of rest before IL-2.  They also have put him on steroids to reduce the swelling, which have to be out of your system two weeks prior to starting IL-2.  Given IL-2 results improve after radiation (although that is high dose, given the Friday before IL-2), I am really hoping that this is the silver lining.  I have never heard of such a large tumor – that's what scares me.

#$@!!!

I'll keep you posted –

Maria

CarolA
                          Participant

Oh, #$@!!!     Oh, Maria.   ( I keep erasing what I'm writing, as what I want to say is redundant to what you are feeling)   I am frustrated for you and Dave, too.   I can't imagine the level of frustration, having a plan in place, only to have a damned obstacle in its course.   I'm sorry.    Maybe, maybe the silver lining is this unplanned radiation?   Maybe it will give a boost to start the battle?   I pray for good results in this plan.   My thoughts are with you.   You are doing a great job caretaking and researching.

CarolA-Stage III

Amherst, NY

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

Maria, melanoma is certainly a frustrating disease as it can be so unpredictable. Sorry to read that the scan has shown that the tumours have grown. Hopefully, the radiotherapy will control any further growth until IL-2 has a chance to work.

Take care

Frank from Australia

MariaH
                                Participant

Thank you for the encouragement Frank.  I am at the point where if mel was a person, I'd kick the snot out of it.  Hoping that IL-2 can work it's magic at the end of the month.

Take care,

Maria

MariaH
                                  Participant

Thank you for the encouragement Frank.  I am at the point where if mel was a person, I'd kick the snot out of it.  Hoping that IL-2 can work it's magic at the end of the month.

Take care,

Maria

FormerCaregiver
                                  Participant

Maria, melanoma is certainly a frustrating disease as it can be so unpredictable. Sorry to read that the scan has shown that the tumours have grown. Hopefully, the radiotherapy will control any further growth until IL-2 has a chance to work.

Take care

Frank from Australia

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics