The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cellulitis

Forums General Melanoma Community Cellulitis

Participant

Hi everyone,

I had this twice in the last 6 months. It's a bacterial skin infection (deeper layers of the skin). The first time I had it I had a fairly high temperature and had little energy to get out of bed. I wound up in icu for several hours because my blood pressure was low (80s/40s). The infection was in my right (lymphedema) arm. It was red and hot to the touch. It was also moving up the arm. I was put on iv antibiotics. After several days in the hospital I was sent home with strong oral antibiotics. That did the trick.

Hi everyone,

I had this twice in the last 6 months. It's a bacterial skin infection (deeper layers of the skin). The first time I had it I had a fairly high temperature and had little energy to get out of bed. I wound up in icu for several hours because my blood pressure was low (80s/40s). The infection was in my right (lymphedema) arm. It was red and hot to the touch. It was also moving up the arm. I was put on iv antibiotics. After several days in the hospital I was sent home with strong oral antibiotics. That did the trick.

About a month ago I lost most of the range of motion in my left arm. I developed a low grade fever and saw a little red splotch on my left arm. Again it was diagnosed as cellulitis. It did spread to my armpit and a couple spots on my chest. This time I wasn't admitted to the hospital. I was given 1 dose of iv antibiotics in outpatient and prescribed oral antibiotics. My range of motion returned.

I'm describing my experiences to see if others have dealt with cellulitis. For those who have had it, what advice do you have for preventing it (besides hand washing and trying to avoid scrapes, open wounds and bug bites)? I'm probably more susceptible to cellulitis since I'm taking Hydrocortisone which can weaken the immune system. My doctor would argue that it doesn't since I'm only taking the normal hormone replacement amount.

Any advice would be appreciated.

God Bless to all,

Jim M.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hi Jim,

I had a 3rd degree burn on my leg many years ago which I developed cellulitis in the skin.  I had no skin grafts and was almost hospitalized for the cellulitis the first time.  After 2 penicillin shots and oral medication it went away.  A scrap a few months later on the area and cellulitis came back.  I checked with my local health food store and she recommended Oil of Oregano.  So at the first sign of warmth and redness I start the Oil of Oregano and have never had to go the antibiotic route again.

It comes in a liquid that is sublingual (and is hot like hot peppers) if you can handle it or it comes in pill form.  Sublingual I do it twice a day or if I do the pills I take 2 for 3-4 times a day.  In a couple of days it is gone and I do a 3rd day just to make sure.

Oil of oregano handles pathogenic bacteria without disrupting beneficial bacteria. It is also anti-viral and anti-fungal. This is a rare three in one combination. Imagine destroying fungal colonies while ridding oneself of a bacterial or viral infection and preserving your good bacteria. In addition to being antiviral and antifungal without side effects, Oregano Oil also rids the body of parasites, even giardia.

I have also given this to my grandchildren for helping with sinus and ear infections and it works for them as well.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033475_oil_of_oregano_anti-viral.html for more information or look it up on the web.  I know myself I hate to take antibiotics and would rather take something more natural to help.  It is not the standard kitchen oregano spice but it made from Wild Oregano.  If you have an allergic reaction to sage

Pharmaceutical antibiotics do not work on viral infections. They can only be used for bacterial infections. But they also destroy the good bacteria, which creates all sorts of health problems down the road. And the more antibiotics are used, the more pathogenic bacteria become resistant to antibiotics.

I hope this helps it sure helps me.

Judy loving wife and caregiver of Gene.

Jim M.
            Participant

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the awesome advice! Soon I will have another weapon in my arsonal of health. Do you rub it on the area or do you mix a drop or so in liquid? I will definitely stock up on this as I'm told the cellulitis will return.

Thank you so much and God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
              Participant

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the awesome advice! Soon I will have another weapon in my arsonal of health. Do you rub it on the area or do you mix a drop or so in liquid? I will definitely stock up on this as I'm told the cellulitis will return.

Jim M.

Jim M.
                Participant

Hi Judy,

Jim M.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hi Jim,

I take it by mouth with either the liquid or the pills.  Also my grandkids take it by mouth for sinus infections, ear infections and colds.  The grandkids can only stand the pills since like I said the liquid (if you want something to work fast) I do sublingual even though it says you can mix with water and take it.

I really like it because there are no side effects like so many antibiotics have.  Plus you don't have to worry about building up an immunity to it like antibiotics.  Especially since so many of the foods we have are also full of antiobiotics especially the meats.

Gene and I try to eat free range, antibiotic free, steroid free and organic whenever we can.

Good luck with your mel and cellulitis fight.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene)

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hi Jim,

I take it by mouth with either the liquid or the pills.  Also my grandkids take it by mouth for sinus infections, ear infections and colds.  The grandkids can only stand the pills since like I said the liquid (if you want something to work fast) I do sublingual even though it says you can mix with water and take it.

I really like it because there are no side effects like so many antibiotics have.  Plus you don't have to worry about building up an immunity to it like antibiotics.  Especially since so many of the foods we have are also full of antiobiotics especially the meats.

Gene and I try to eat free range, antibiotic free, steroid free and organic whenever we can.

Gene_S
                      Participant

Hi Jim,

Gene_S
                      Participant

Hi Jim,

I had a 3rd degree burn on my leg many years ago which I developed cellulitis in the skin.  I had no skin grafts and was almost hospitalized for the cellulitis the first time.  After 2 penicillin shots and oral medication it went away.  A scrap a few months later on the area and cellulitis came back.  I checked with my local health food store and she recommended Oil of Oregano.  So at the first sign of warmth and redness I start the Oil of Oregano and have never had to go the antibiotic route again.

It comes in a liquid that is sublingual (and is hot like hot peppers) if you can handle it or it comes in pill form.  Sublingual I do it twice a day or if I do the pills I take 2 for 3-4 times a day.  In a couple of days it is gone and I do a 3rd day just to make sure.

Oil of oregano handles pathogenic bacteria without disrupting beneficial bacteria. It is also anti-viral and anti-fungal. This is a rare three in one combination. Imagine destroying fungal colonies while ridding oneself of a bacterial or viral infection and preserving your good bacteria. In addition to being antiviral and antifungal without side effects, Oregano Oil also rids the body of parasites, even giardia.

I have also given this to my grandchildren for helping with sinus and ear infections and it works for them as well.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033475_oil_of_oregano_anti-viral.html for more information or look it up on the web.  I know myself I hate to take antibiotics and would rather take something more natural to help.  It is not the standard kitchen oregano spice but it made from Wild Oregano.  If you have an allergic reaction to sage

Pharmaceutical antibiotics do not work on viral infections. They can only be used for bacterial infections. But they also destroy the good bacteria, which creates all sorts of health problems down the road. And the more antibiotics are used, the more pathogenic bacteria become resistant to antibiotics.

Gene_S
                        Participant

Hi Jim,

sharmon
                          Participant

Hi Jim,

Brent was hospitalized 3 times this summer with the same problem.

Finally I found that using a hand sanitizer on his leg daily and boiling his compression stocking after daily washing really helped. 

Hope this helps, 

By the way Brent and I are back in Tampa for the season and would like to see you.

Sharon

Jim M.
                              Participant

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the great advice. I should have a hand sanitizer with me at all times since I'm meeting families and shaking hands.

It would be wonderful to see you! Let me know when is a good day for you and Brent. Saturdays are usually best for me if we have no plans. Respond here or email me at: [email protected]

Take care and God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                Participant

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the great advice. I should have a hand sanitizer with me at all times since I'm meeting families and shaking hands.

It would be wonderful to see you! Let me know when is a good day for you and Brent. Saturdays are usually best for me if we have no plans. Respond here or email me at: [email protected]

Take care and God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                  Participant

Hi Sharon,

Take care and God Bless,

Jim M.

sharmon
                                  Participant

Hi Jim,

Finally I found that using a hand sanitizer on his leg daily and boiling his compression stocking after daily washing really helped. 

Hope this helps, 

By the way Brent and I are back in Tampa for the season and would like to see you.

Sharon

sharmon
                                    Participant

Hi Jim,

Hope this helps, 

Sharon

userresponse
                                      Participant

A close relative has had many procedures to prevent/treat melanoma. She recently had celluitis for the first time.  In looking for a product to help prevent subsequent episodes of this infection, I found a product called EMUAID http://emuaid.com, made from Emu Oil… I spoke to my compound pharmacist and they thought that the product had potential to help with celluitis.  If you choose to try this product, I hope it helps mitigate these irritating and potentially very serious symptoms while you work on getting through your primary focus.  

I'm not sure why I put these extra details in here but this is the second time I wrote this because I hit a wrong button before, so hopefully this helps someone.  I learned from my cousin, never give up. My cousin, was diagnosed with liver cancer and was healed a few days after her doctors said she would be gone. That was 1 year and 7 months ago. She received the diagnosis of stage 4 liver cancer, 5 1/2 years after she was treated for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. About the same time she was suppose to die from the liver cancer, she suffered a stroke because she also has Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) brain disease where the veins and arteries in the brain intertwine abnormally. Since her recover from the stroke, she has regained enough of her speech that she can talk on the phone. She remembers things pretty well and has the patients of a saint in explaining what she is trying to convey. She was never a patient person before. She still loves life and seeing her 4 grand and great grand children. Her son faithfully cares for her each day to administer her medications for her head pain. She wanted to be able to live independently and valued her mind most of all. She continues to live in her home and has fun remembering stories from when we were kids and she lived with my family. God healed several relationships in the family during her recovery.  Blessings to you and yours. Sam

userresponse
                                        Participant

A close relative has had many procedures to prevent/treat melanoma. She recently had celluitis for the first time.  In looking for a product to help prevent subsequent episodes of this infection, I found a product called EMUAID http://emuaid.com, made from Emu Oil… I spoke to my compound pharmacist and they thought that the product had potential to help with celluitis.  If you choose to try this product, I hope it helps mitigate these irritating and potentially very serious symptoms while you work on getting through your primary focus.  

I'm not sure why I put these extra details in here but this is the second time I wrote this because I hit a wrong button before, so hopefully this helps someone.  I learned from my cousin, never give up. My cousin, was diagnosed with liver cancer and was healed a few days after her doctors said she would be gone. That was 1 year and 7 months ago. She received the diagnosis of stage 4 liver cancer, 5 1/2 years after she was treated for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. About the same time she was suppose to die from the liver cancer, she suffered a stroke because she also has Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) brain disease where the veins and arteries in the brain intertwine abnormally. Since her recover from the stroke, she has regained enough of her speech that she can talk on the phone. She remembers things pretty well and has the patients of a saint in explaining what she is trying to convey. She was never a patient person before. She still loves life and seeing her 4 grand and great grand children. Her son faithfully cares for her each day to administer her medications for her head pain. She wanted to be able to live independently and valued her mind most of all. She continues to live in her home and has fun remembering stories from when we were kids and she lived with my family. God healed several relationships in the family during her recovery.  Blessings to you and yours. Sam

userresponse
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics