The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Celebrating 8 years NED…but still sad…

Forums General Melanoma Community Celebrating 8 years NED…but still sad…

Participant

I just passed the 8 year mark of NED with Stage 3/B Melanoma.   For the first time since 2004 I don't have to return to my oncologist for one year!!  This is a big victory.

I just passed the 8 year mark of NED with Stage 3/B Melanoma.   For the first time since 2004 I don't have to return to my oncologist for one year!!  This is a big victory.

At the same time I got good news, the husband of my friend was fighting for his life.   He only had a 8 months since diagnosis, and thought he was responding well.  Then about 1 week ago, he had Gamma Knife surgery, and was unresponsive from then on.  I attended his funeral today.   We rejoice that his fight was not long, but I feel so bad that he just never seemed to have a chance. 

I think I feel guilty…which I  know makes no sense.  But I am well, and he is gone.  This has brought back many emotions that I thought were gone. 

BethA   Once again NED 8 years        (NED 10 years between MM #1 and #2)

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

Very wonderful news on this 8 year milestone!

I understand the conflict, when you know others are suffering, or lost their battle. I think about it every time I am on this board, and every time I go to the oncologist's office. I never understood "survivor's guilt" before recently.

Yet, we sure rejoice with you on your reaching this great milestone.

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

I understand the conflict, when you know others are suffering, or lost their battle. I think about it every time I am on this board, and every time I go to the oncologist's office. I never understood "survivor's guilt" before recently.

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Tina

dodgedh2
              Participant

I'm Stage 4 and I've been NED for over 4 years now. Don't feel alone. Those of us that are fortunite enough to remain NED for long periods all feel guilty, especially when we know others that haven't responded as well, or have lost their battle. I for one keep trying to feel good about doing so well, but I keep coming back to the nagging question of "Will it come back and when?". Keep up what you're doing, because I've been told that those of us that are long term NED give hope to those that are just beginning their battle. Most of all, remember, you are not alone.

dodgedh2
                Participant

I'm Stage 4 and I've been NED for over 4 years now. Don't feel alone. Those of us that are fortunite enough to remain NED for long periods all feel guilty, especially when we know others that haven't responded as well, or have lost their battle. I for one keep trying to feel good about doing so well, but I keep coming back to the nagging question of "Will it come back and when?". Keep up what you're doing, because I've been told that those of us that are long term NED give hope to those that are just beginning their battle. Most of all, remember, you are not alone.

dodgedh2
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics