The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CDKN2A Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community CDKN2A Questions

Participant

Are there any good questions I can ask at my onc/derm followup following a positive CDKN2A result?

I gave my family tree as best I could and contacted the close relavtives who'd be affected. I was given information from genomics about pancreatic cancer and risk, a CT scan is being held up by insurance currently. As far as I know I was born Jaundice and placed under UV therapy, though obviously that was some time ago. We have a family history of spleen removal and inherrited spherocytosis.

How are CDKN2A+ melanoma patients followed up for other cancers like this?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It's a pretty small population that have CKDN2A.  Maybe 2-4% of the melanoma population.  I was told a 76% lifetime risk of getting melanoma so I doubt your early UV exposure was much of a factor.

As for followup, because I've had multiple primaries, I'm on 6 month visits for life.  I just started getting pancreatic cancer screenings again.  MRI one year, endoscopic ultrasound the next year.  I've had both before but kind of got lost on followup because my insurance was problematic at that time.  I was adopted so had no knowledge of any familiar connection when I was tested.  The 3 primaries I had at that time was the reason I was included in a clinical trial looking for these mutations.  I have since found my birth family and discovered both my mother and half sister have had melanoma.  No history of pancreatic cancer that I've been made aware of.   There are no screenings for any other cancers related to CDKN2A at my institution. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics