The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Care for bleeding and growing tumors

Forums General Melanoma Community Care for bleeding and growing tumors

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give an update on my dad. My dad finished his last dose of Yervoy around Nov 21 and about a week after he was hospitalized for a severe reaction. He had problems moving his hands and feet and was confused and delirious. He was treated with steroids and salt to stabilize his salt level. The doctors think Yervoy caused imflammation of a part of his brain which controlled his salt level and caused his neuro problems. That was in late Nov/early December. He got out of the hospital and thankfully recovered. The bad news is that Yervoy doesnt seem to work for him. It has been about 24 weeks since he started Yervoy and the tumors on his leg  have gotten bigger. We have decided to stop pursuing treatment since there is nothing promising for him and he doesnt want to go to the hospital. His lesions are getting bigger and they have started to bleed. His MM is still contained in his lower leg.

We are trying to get home hospice to help with the tumor dressing but I was hoping if anyone has advice on how to take care of tumors that are growing and oozing blood. Is it normal for the tumors to bleed? Dad lives with my sister and my sisters and brothers take good care of him so any advice on caring for his tumors and/or hospice is appreciated. I am so afraid of what is coming and dont want him to suffer. I hate this damn disease so much.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support.

Chau

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

Perhaps you can contact Jill Sizemore. Her husband Eric lost his battle but he had severe leg tumors and also did Yervoy…they have about 16 videos on Youtube.Jill is also on FaceBook.She may also have suggestions for treatment.

Here is one link…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsDUrbQv1g&feature=channel

LynnLuc
          Participant

Perhaps you can contact Jill Sizemore. Her husband Eric lost his battle but he had severe leg tumors and also did Yervoy…they have about 16 videos on Youtube.Jill is also on FaceBook.She may also have suggestions for treatment.

LynnLuc
            Participant

cwu
                Participant

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the advice. I remember reading about Jill and Eric's battle when I first joined this forum. I will reach out to her to see if she give any tips.

Thanks again,

Chau

cwu
                  Participant

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the advice. I remember reading about Jill and Eric's battle when I first joined this forum. I will reach out to her to see if she give any tips.

Thanks again,

Chau

cwu
                    Participant

Hi Lynn,

Thanks again,

Chau

o2bcheri
                    Participant
                      http://Www.ncrf.org.
                      My friend has breast cancer and melanoma on her leg.
                      After only a few days. Her tumors r shrinking on her leg.
                      It’s a miracle. And her energy is over the top.

Nothing to lose.

cwu
                        Participant

Thank you for responding, I will check out the website.

Chau

cwu
                          Participant

Chau

cwu
                            Participant

Chau

o2bcheri
                            Participant

Nothing to lose.

o2bcheri
                              Participant

Nothing to lose.

dearfoam
                                Participant

I do not have experience with tumor dressing – dad's were all internal. From what I understand, MM is typically very "vascular," meaning it is prone to bleed. There were a lot of issies regarding bleed risks etc in all of his treatments, etc.; bleeding was a constant issue.

Hospice was a relief for us in so many ways. I hope you find that it helps you and your dad find peace, as well as support.

Best,

DF

cwu
                                    Participant

Hi DF,

Thank you for responding, dad's oncologist mentioned that it is not unusual for tumors to bleed off and on.  We have started the process of getting hospice and hope they will help dad be more comfortable. 

I read that your dad passed away recently and I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Chau

cwu
                                      Participant

Hi DF,

Thank you for responding, dad's oncologist mentioned that it is not unusual for tumors to bleed off and on.  We have started the process of getting hospice and hope they will help dad be more comfortable. 

I read that your dad passed away recently and I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Chau

dearfoam
                                        Participant

Thank you, Chau.

Hospice will have many services to offer you, inlcuding emotional support when needed. They were all very nice and professional.

-DF

dearfoam
                                          Participant

Thank you, Chau.

Hospice will have many services to offer you, inlcuding emotional support when needed. They were all very nice and professional.

-DF

dearfoam
                                            Participant

Thank you, Chau.

-DF

cwu
                                              Participant

Hi DF,

Chau

dearfoam
                                              Participant

I do not have experience with tumor dressing – dad's were all internal. From what I understand, MM is typically very "vascular," meaning it is prone to bleed. There were a lot of issies regarding bleed risks etc in all of his treatments, etc.; bleeding was a constant issue.

Hospice was a relief for us in so many ways. I hope you find that it helps you and your dad find peace, as well as support.

Best,

DF

dearfoam
                                                Participant

Best,

DF

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics