The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cannabis Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Cannabis Update

Participant

Dad got the approval today from his oncologist at UCSF to try cannabis oil for pain management. He said he's seen other people do very well with it and that there are no contraindications with his Keytruda treatments.

Next step: off to the dispensary. The doctor says that the note from Dad's PCP on a prescription pad is all we need, as there is no actual "prescription" that can be written for it anyway. (There is some irony there somewhere that we have this legal drug that is completely unregulated.) He just said that no one has ever OD'ed on cannabis but that we'll want to start low and then add more as needed after 30 minutes or so.

Welcome to the Wild West.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        StephyD83
        Participant

That is great news! I do think you will have to go to a Dr that writes the "prescription" for it. They have them all over the place & it will be like $50 or so. Good luck!

JustMeInCA
            Participant

There's one near McKinley Park in midtown that doesn't sound shady, so I'm going to stop by there Friday and find out what I have to do!

JustMeInCA
              Participant

There's one near McKinley Park in midtown that doesn't sound shady, so I'm going to stop by there Friday and find out what I have to do!

JustMeInCA
                Participant

StephyD83
                Participant

That is great news! I do think you will have to go to a Dr that writes the "prescription" for it. They have them all over the place & it will be like $50 or so. Good luck!

StephyD83
                  Participant

GAngel
                    Participant

That's great news!  He will benefit from this wonder drug! I think the irony is that its the only drug that I know of that you cannot OD on and it  offers so  many health benefits yet its been demonized for decades as a gateway drug that is harmful. So much so that it continues to be illegal in most states!

Wishing you and your father the best!

Gina

JustMeInCA
                        Participant

Thanks, Gina. It's a bit scary to rely on the expertise of lay people at these dispensaries in terms of strains and dosage. I do wish the feds would just approve it so that it could be better regulated and easier to acquire!

JustMeInCA
                          Participant

Thanks, Gina. It's a bit scary to rely on the expertise of lay people at these dispensaries in terms of strains and dosage. I do wish the feds would just approve it so that it could be better regulated and easier to acquire!

JustMeInCA
                            Participant

GAngel
                            Participant

That's great news!  He will benefit from this wonder drug! I think the irony is that its the only drug that I know of that you cannot OD on and it  offers so  many health benefits yet its been demonized for decades as a gateway drug that is harmful. So much so that it continues to be illegal in most states!

Gina

GAngel
                              Participant

Gina

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics