The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cannabis Experiences

Forums General Melanoma Community Cannabis Experiences

Participant

Hi, all — still struggling with my 83-year-old dad's pain management. He was taking 15 mg Oxycodone as needed for pain because he didn't want the 12-hour Oxycontin, but that wasn't helping and he lost about 6 lbs. between his first and second infusion, I think because he didn't have much appetite due to the pain.

He started on Gabapentin (Neurontin) for the nerve pain, titrated that up from 300 mg to 600 mg only at night the past couple weeks (eventually aiming for 900 mg) and then added 20 mg Oxycontin about four days ago. He's had no issues with the Gabapentin, but the Oxycontin has had the zombie side effect — he's barely left his recliner between his 6-hour naps! I lowered it to 10 mg today to see if it helps the side effects to move up more slowly.

At any rate, he was on the phone today with one of his childhood friends who battled another form of cancer last year. She told him to use cannabis, as that was the only thing that really helped her pain without knocking her out. (It's amusing to me that these two 80-somethings are having this conversation!) At any rate, Dad reported back to me that it's time for him to try marijuana — I don't think he was completely serious, but it got me thinking.

We're in California, so medical marijuana is legal here, but I would have no idea where to start to find 1) a prescribing doctor (since I doubt the doctors at UCSF or his primary care doctor would prescribe it), and 2) the type and dosage. I did a search and saw that several people are using cannabis oil, so I'm just wondering if anyone (especially anyone in California) could give me some guidance. I've read that it has been shown to help with tumors, but I'm particularly interested in the anagelsic effects since Dad's having such pain.

I'll ask his oncologist about it next week, but I expect this is something we'd have to do on our own. 

Thanks!

Elaine

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ginger8888
        Participant

If i was in a legal state i would using it right now..I've done a lot of reading on cannabis oil and believe it will help with many things..If you can get it, get the oil, find a despensery in your area and talk to them to find out what strain you will need and they might be able to tell you a doctor that can help..Good luck and keep us updated..I am stage 3 C..

Ginger8888
          Participant

If i was in a legal state i would using it right now..I've done a lot of reading on cannabis oil and believe it will help with many things..If you can get it, get the oil, find a despensery in your area and talk to them to find out what strain you will need and they might be able to tell you a doctor that can help..Good luck and keep us updated..I am stage 3 C..

Ginger8888
            Participant

DZnDef
              Participant

Hi Elaine, there are folks on this site that have hands-on experience with cannabis oil (I don't) and I hope they chime in.  In the meantime, this website provides specific information on medical marijuana in California and also includes a resource listing for dispensaries

http://www.canorml.org/medical-marijuana/patients-guide-to-california-law

As for the cannabis oil, it may be difficult to find a reputable source (who knows what they put in there or how potent or diluted they made it?).  This website tells you how to make your own oil once you have acquired the bud.  Note, the owner of this site (Rick Simpson) does NOT sell cannabis oil.  He only shows you how to make your own.  Anyone claiming to sell "Rick Simpson's oil" is a fraud.

http://phoenixtears.ca/make-the-medicine/

If you search around on this website, you will also find videos of the process (it's not very complicated).  There is also a section of testimonials which is impressive (though of course, purely anecdotal).  His movie "Run from the cure" is worth a viewing for background information.

Like your father, I have never tried marijuana either.  But as you can see,  I'm seriously considering it….

Cheers

DZnDef
                Participant

Hi Elaine, there are folks on this site that have hands-on experience with cannabis oil (I don't) and I hope they chime in.  In the meantime, this website provides specific information on medical marijuana in California and also includes a resource listing for dispensaries

As for the cannabis oil, it may be difficult to find a reputable source (who knows what they put in there or how potent or diluted they made it?).  This website tells you how to make your own oil once you have acquired the bud.  Note, the owner of this site (Rick Simpson) does NOT sell cannabis oil.  He only shows you how to make your own.  Anyone claiming to sell "Rick Simpson's oil" is a fraud.

If you search around on this website, you will also find videos of the process (it's not very complicated).  There is also a section of testimonials which is impressive (though of course, purely anecdotal).  His movie "Run from the cure" is worth a viewing for background information.

Like your father, I have never tried marijuana either.  But as you can see,  I'm seriously considering it….

Cheers

Ginger8888
                    Participant

I belive in it and wish i could get it..good luck again..

Ginger8888
                      Participant

Ginger8888
                        Participant

JustMeInCA
                          Participant

Thanks so much for that info, Maggie! I did find the California government website that explains how to get the medical marijuana card, and I also found several sites selling "Rick Simpson style" oils, ranging between $200-$300! So glad you warned me on that one. 

I do hope someone who is using it will chime in.  I just pulled the plug on the Oxycontin tonight after talking with a pharmacist. Dad has been agitated and confused all day today, and he has no dementia issues. There just has to be something better!

JustMeInCA
                            Participant

Thanks so much for that info, Maggie! I did find the California government website that explains how to get the medical marijuana card, and I also found several sites selling "Rick Simpson style" oils, ranging between $200-$300! So glad you warned me on that one. 

I do hope someone who is using it will chime in.  I just pulled the plug on the Oxycontin tonight after talking with a pharmacist. Dad has been agitated and confused all day today, and he has no dementia issues. There just has to be something better!

JustMeInCA
                              Participant

DZnDef
                                Participant

Elaine,

It is always possible that someone selling "Rick Simpson type" oil is someone that just followed the same instructions that Rick Simpson posted on his site.  I just wanted to make it clear that you know that Rick Simpson himself doesn't sell any oil or endorse anyone that does.  So you have to decide if you trust a particular "manufacturer" or not.

I know of at least one fairly active MPIP forum member that grows their own medical marijuana and makes their own oil.  I don't think they check this site daily though or I'm sure they would have said something by now.  You can search for their prior posts.  I believe GAngel is the user name.

Best of luck to you and your Dad.

DZnDef
                                  Participant

Elaine,

It is always possible that someone selling "Rick Simpson type" oil is someone that just followed the same instructions that Rick Simpson posted on his site.  I just wanted to make it clear that you know that Rick Simpson himself doesn't sell any oil or endorse anyone that does.  So you have to decide if you trust a particular "manufacturer" or not.

I know of at least one fairly active MPIP forum member that grows their own medical marijuana and makes their own oil.  I don't think they check this site daily though or I'm sure they would have said something by now.  You can search for their prior posts.  I believe GAngel is the user name.

DZnDef
                                    Participant

Elaine,

Ginger8888
                                      Participant

Those that are sold online are not what you need..I belong to a facebook group called Cannabis oil success stories and the people are amazing..They can tell you how to make it, how much thc and cbd needs to be in it and where you can get it..A lot of people out there are mistaking Hemp oil for cannabis oil but hemp oil doesn't have the thc content you need for the cure, that's why it's legal to sell online..Good luck, if it was legal in my state i'd be on it now

Ginger8888
                                        Participant

Those that are sold online are not what you need..I belong to a facebook group called Cannabis oil success stories and the people are amazing..They can tell you how to make it, how much thc and cbd needs to be in it and where you can get it..A lot of people out there are mistaking Hemp oil for cannabis oil but hemp oil doesn't have the thc content you need for the cure, that's why it's legal to sell online..Good luck, if it was legal in my state i'd be on it now

Ginger8888
                                          Participant

Jubes
                                            Participant

HI Maggie I also have lung mets with an unknown primary. I was diagnosed in June this year. I have tried Dabrafenib , Ipi and now pembrolizumab and my cough has improved. with this last drug.

have you any exoerience with this?

thanks Jubes

Jubes
                                              Participant

HI Maggie I also have lung mets with an unknown primary. I was diagnosed in June this year. I have tried Dabrafenib , Ipi and now pembrolizumab and my cough has improved. with this last drug.

thanks Jubes

Jubes
                                                Participant

thanks Jubes

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Cheers

shanemcdonald99
                                                  Participant

I have to disagree on the pain med ideas.

I got knocked out and turned into a zombie by gabapentin and not the opioid based painkiller.

I wont touch that crap again!  They gave me one of the newer gabapentin drugs. The warning labels list suicide as a side effect ! Agitation , in my opinion, would be more common with gabapentin than the opioid.   

As far as cannabis oil goes.    I have some people pushing me to try it. They have friends that will gladly sell it to me for alot of money. They have no research or data to back up their claims about its successes. And I have to buy it illegally.  I dont think so.  Its all hearsay to me.

I will stick with approved treatments with solid scientific research administered by an Oncologist. My oncologist works 16 hours a day and has done that for over 30 years. He is completely dedicated his life to cancer treatment. I will take my chances with him and not some marijuana dealer that sells cannabis too. Dont get me wrong, I am all for legalizing marijuana for both recreational and medicinal use. It has documented medical uses.       But for stage 4 melanoma, I have to work with an expert.

These are just my pigheaded opinions. Just ignore them if they rub you the wrong way.

sincerely,

shane

JustMeInCA
                                                      Participant

Thanks, Shane. I'm pretty sure it's not the Gabapentin (and he is using traditional Gabapentin since it has fewer side effects than the newfangled version, Pregapentin or something like that.) He had been taking the Gabapentin for a couple weeks with no side effects beyond some tiredness the first couple days. But we are also titrating up slowly. The problems all started when we introduced Oxycontin, and the pharmacist did say that with the reformulation of Oxycontin a few years back, these side effects are much more common, especially in the elderly. I also take Gabapentin for Restless Leg Syndrome and have been for several years. I also had the tiredness and stumbled in finding words at times for the first week or so, but that all went away. And since I didn't give Dad the Oxycontin last night or this morning, he is MUCH better today — no agitation, no confusion, no coma in the recliner.

As for the medical marijuana issue, there actually is quite a lot of research that has proven its benefits, particularly in treating neuropathic pain. The University of California (our most prestigious public university, actually among the most prestigious universitites in the nation) has been on the front lines in clinical trials and research at UC San Diego, UC Irvine and UC San Francisco. (UCSD actually has a Medical Marijuana Research Center!) So, yes, I'm definitely going to pursue this further since it's a much safer drug with fewer side effects than the opioids. I'm hoping Dad's doctor at UCSF might be willing to write a prescribing letter since the UC has been on the forefront in terms of research; however, the fact that the federal government still lists it as a Class I drug is what I think strikes fear into so many doctors even though it's perfectly fine with the California Medical Association.

JustMeInCA
                                                        Participant

P.S. I never meant to suggest that I'd take Dad off Keytruda or away from his oncologist!!! This would be purely for pain management.

JustMeInCA
                                                          Participant

P.S. I never meant to suggest that I'd take Dad off Keytruda or away from his oncologist!!! This would be purely for pain management.

JustMeInCA
                                                            Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                              Participant

Thanks, Shane. I'm pretty sure it's not the Gabapentin (and he is using traditional Gabapentin since it has fewer side effects than the newfangled version, Pregapentin or something like that.) He had been taking the Gabapentin for a couple weeks with no side effects beyond some tiredness the first couple days. But we are also titrating up slowly. The problems all started when we introduced Oxycontin, and the pharmacist did say that with the reformulation of Oxycontin a few years back, these side effects are much more common, especially in the elderly. I also take Gabapentin for Restless Leg Syndrome and have been for several years. I also had the tiredness and stumbled in finding words at times for the first week or so, but that all went away. And since I didn't give Dad the Oxycontin last night or this morning, he is MUCH better today — no agitation, no confusion, no coma in the recliner.

As for the medical marijuana issue, there actually is quite a lot of research that has proven its benefits, particularly in treating neuropathic pain. The University of California (our most prestigious public university, actually among the most prestigious universitites in the nation) has been on the front lines in clinical trials and research at UC San Diego, UC Irvine and UC San Francisco. (UCSD actually has a Medical Marijuana Research Center!) So, yes, I'm definitely going to pursue this further since it's a much safer drug with fewer side effects than the opioids. I'm hoping Dad's doctor at UCSF might be willing to write a prescribing letter since the UC has been on the forefront in terms of research; however, the fact that the federal government still lists it as a Class I drug is what I think strikes fear into so many doctors even though it's perfectly fine with the California Medical Association.

JustMeInCA
                                                                Participant

shanemcdonald99
                                                                Participant

I got knocked out and turned into a zombie by gabapentin and not the opioid based painkiller.

I wont touch that crap again!  They gave me one of the newer gabapentin drugs. The warning labels list suicide as a side effect ! Agitation , in my opinion, would be more common with gabapentin than the opioid.   

As far as cannabis oil goes.    I have some people pushing me to try it. They have friends that will gladly sell it to me for alot of money. They have no research or data to back up their claims about its successes. And I have to buy it illegally.  I dont think so.  Its all hearsay to me.

I will stick with approved treatments with solid scientific research administered by an Oncologist. My oncologist works 16 hours a day and has done that for over 30 years. He is completely dedicated his life to cancer treatment. I will take my chances with him and not some marijuana dealer that sells cannabis too. Dont get me wrong, I am all for legalizing marijuana for both recreational and medicinal use. It has documented medical uses.       But for stage 4 melanoma, I have to work with an expert.

These are just my pigheaded opinions. Just ignore them if they rub you the wrong way.

sincerely,

shane

shanemcdonald99
                                                                  Participant

sincerely,

shane

JustMeInCA
                                                                    Participant

Update: I had to take my dad to see his primary care doctor today, and it turns out he has a decades-old pilonidal cyst that is severely infected and has grown into a large cavity and has several drainage sinuses throughout the perineal area. The doctor is giving him an urgent referral to a rectal specialist and said he might need surgery. Ugh.

However, talking with the PCP about the problems we've had with pain management, he was more than willing to write (on a prescription pad) that Dad has Stage IV metastatic cancer and severe pain. He said while this is not a 'prescription' per se, that I can take it to a dispensary with his diagnosis paperwork and they will either a) issue the medical marijuana card with that, or b) just ask him to be 'seen' briefly by their doctor on site.

That part was much easier than I had anticipated, as I somehow thought that getting a 'real' doctor's approval would be difficult. However, his PCP said that there's ample evidence showing how much cannabis oil helps with cancer and that he thinks it's ridiculous that the federal government hasn't approved it already. However, the problem, as I suspected, is that his medical network won't allow doctors to write an actual prescription because federal governmnet law trumps state law.

Now I just have to find a reputatable dispensary and follow up with his oncologist at UCSF. Honestly, I never dreamed I'd ever step foot in one of those places. . .

JustMeInCA
                                                                      Participant

Update: I had to take my dad to see his primary care doctor today, and it turns out he has a decades-old pilonidal cyst that is severely infected and has grown into a large cavity and has several drainage sinuses throughout the perineal area. The doctor is giving him an urgent referral to a rectal specialist and said he might need surgery. Ugh.

However, talking with the PCP about the problems we've had with pain management, he was more than willing to write (on a prescription pad) that Dad has Stage IV metastatic cancer and severe pain. He said while this is not a 'prescription' per se, that I can take it to a dispensary with his diagnosis paperwork and they will either a) issue the medical marijuana card with that, or b) just ask him to be 'seen' briefly by their doctor on site.

That part was much easier than I had anticipated, as I somehow thought that getting a 'real' doctor's approval would be difficult. However, his PCP said that there's ample evidence showing how much cannabis oil helps with cancer and that he thinks it's ridiculous that the federal government hasn't approved it already. However, the problem, as I suspected, is that his medical network won't allow doctors to write an actual prescription because federal governmnet law trumps state law.

Now I just have to find a reputatable dispensary and follow up with his oncologist at UCSF. Honestly, I never dreamed I'd ever step foot in one of those places. . .

JustMeInCA
                                                                        Participant

GAngel
                                                                          Participant

Hi Elaine,

I'm sorry to hear that your father is having trouble managing his pain. My husband and I firmly believe in the benefits of medical marijuana to treat  pain caused by cancer,  nausea, poor appetite and weight loss. We also believe that 100% pure cannabis oil is beneficial in curing many types of cancer, melanoma being one of them. There are many who will tell you that its "snake oil" and hasn't been studied or proven to benefit in treating cancer, however, the information and research in support of  its curative ability is out there if you dig deep enough. 

Since you are in California and medical marijuana use is legal I recommend that you do a simple "Google" search to find a local dispensary and they could recommend a doctor that can consult with your father and prescribe it…they will need to see medical records proving his current illness.   I would first ask his oncologist as he may prescribe it for him.  As to the type and dosage, the prescribing doctor would give him that information.

My husbands oncologist supports his use of medical marijuana for pain management and to help increase his appetite but does not speak to whether he believes that cannabis oil has the ability to cure cancer because of the lack of medical research done here in the United States.  My husband has been taking the oil ever since he was diagnosed in February 2013 and he has been on the Tafinlar/MEK combo (intermittently) since July of 2013 and he has been NED for one year now.  

I hope this information is helpful.  If you have any further questions or need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Blessings,

Gina

GAngel
                                                                            Participant

Hi Elaine,

I'm sorry to hear that your father is having trouble managing his pain. My husband and I firmly believe in the benefits of medical marijuana to treat  pain caused by cancer,  nausea, poor appetite and weight loss. We also believe that 100% pure cannabis oil is beneficial in curing many types of cancer, melanoma being one of them. There are many who will tell you that its "snake oil" and hasn't been studied or proven to benefit in treating cancer, however, the information and research in support of  its curative ability is out there if you dig deep enough. 

Since you are in California and medical marijuana use is legal I recommend that you do a simple "Google" search to find a local dispensary and they could recommend a doctor that can consult with your father and prescribe it…they will need to see medical records proving his current illness.   I would first ask his oncologist as he may prescribe it for him.  As to the type and dosage, the prescribing doctor would give him that information.

My husbands oncologist supports his use of medical marijuana for pain management and to help increase his appetite but does not speak to whether he believes that cannabis oil has the ability to cure cancer because of the lack of medical research done here in the United States.  My husband has been taking the oil ever since he was diagnosed in February 2013 and he has been on the Tafinlar/MEK combo (intermittently) since July of 2013 and he has been NED for one year now.  

I hope this information is helpful.  If you have any further questions or need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Blessings,

Gina

GAngel
                                                                              Participant

Hi Elaine,

Blessings,

Gina

GAngel
                                                                                  Participant

p.s. As stated by Maggie, research "Rick Simpson"  and "Phoenix Tears" for more information about how to make the oil.  My husband makes his own oil from cannabis he grows at home.  You will learn how to make it my watching the video by Rick Simpson and/or there are other methods similar that you can follow such as the one at the following website:  http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Medical-Marijuana-Oil.

Also, we personally know of several cancer patients  who have cured their cancer with just this oil alone choosing not to go with conventional medicine/treatment. 

Everyone is different and just like any other medicine/treatment it wont have the same effect on everyone….some it will work for and others it may not.  The thing about it is that it has no toxins or harmful side effects like many of the current treatments offered today.  It is worth a try!  Best of luck!!! 

Gina

GAngel
                                                                                    Participant

p.s. As stated by Maggie, research "Rick Simpson"  and "Phoenix Tears" for more information about how to make the oil.  My husband makes his own oil from cannabis he grows at home.  You will learn how to make it my watching the video by Rick Simpson and/or there are other methods similar that you can follow such as the one at the following website:  http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Medical-Marijuana-Oil.

Also, we personally know of several cancer patients  who have cured their cancer with just this oil alone choosing not to go with conventional medicine/treatment. 

Everyone is different and just like any other medicine/treatment it wont have the same effect on everyone….some it will work for and others it may not.  The thing about it is that it has no toxins or harmful side effects like many of the current treatments offered today.  It is worth a try!  Best of luck!!! 

Gina

_Paul_
                                                                                      Participant

Just curious as to how one "takes" the oil. When I used to use it recreationally (in my mispent youth :-), I would put it on something that burns and smoke it.

I am stage IV too, and have been on oxycodone's for a couple of weeks because of a constant headache as a result of ipi inflaming my pituitary.

I have been discussing trying medical marijuana with my onc, who said he will prescribe it for me, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

_Paul_
                                                                                        Participant

Just curious as to how one "takes" the oil. When I used to use it recreationally (in my mispent youth :-), I would put it on something that burns and smoke it.

I am stage IV too, and have been on oxycodone's for a couple of weeks because of a constant headache as a result of ipi inflaming my pituitary.

I have been discussing trying medical marijuana with my onc, who said he will prescribe it for me, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

_Paul_
                                                                                          Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                                                            Participant

Thanks so much for all the helpful info, Gina. And also for sharing your email address — I'll definitely send you a message if I have more specific questions along the way. I've already located the local dispensaries, but it's so hard to tell which are reputable and which are not. I even did a Yelp search but had a hard time, as most of the reviews were in some kind of stoner lingo which might as well have been Chinese for as much as I understood it! πŸ™‚ I do plan to ask Dad's oncologist if he'll do an actual prescription when we go to San Francisco next week. 

And like Paul, I too have been wondering how the oil is consumed. I somehow imagine throwing it into a smoothie like I used to do with flaxseed oil. I'll have to Google that as well!

JustMeInCA
                                                                                              Participant

Thanks so much for all the helpful info, Gina. And also for sharing your email address — I'll definitely send you a message if I have more specific questions along the way. I've already located the local dispensaries, but it's so hard to tell which are reputable and which are not. I even did a Yelp search but had a hard time, as most of the reviews were in some kind of stoner lingo which might as well have been Chinese for as much as I understood it! πŸ™‚ I do plan to ask Dad's oncologist if he'll do an actual prescription when we go to San Francisco next week. 

And like Paul, I too have been wondering how the oil is consumed. I somehow imagine throwing it into a smoothie like I used to do with flaxseed oil. I'll have to Google that as well!

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                Participant

enatti
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi JustMeInCA,

I hope you're able to get on the cannabis oil soon.  I have seen some early positive results with my father, stage 4, with a decrease in pain, increase in appetite and full rest.  He was taken off all pain meds and steroids by his second week of dosing the oil.  

He was taking combo too and estimated that his main tumor in his lymph node under his right arm shrank about 50 percent in under a month.

Strange plot twist now is my mom and dad let the cat out of the bag in regards to him using the c.o. to doctor and as I predicted to them he flipped.  The dr basically told my father to stop taking c.o. because it is not proven and that it could prevent the uptake of the drugs and inflame his liver.  I am no doctor but I believe in my gut that he overreacted in his assessment.  My father didn't however and has now decided to take a break from the herbal remedy.

I am worried because the effects of b raf inhibitors are relatively short lived and that my dad will not have taken enough c.o. to make a difference by the time cancer comes raging back.

Anyway, just thought I would let you know our experience.  I am so happy that you have a doctor who is pragmatic in his thinking.  

Best to you in your journey.

enatti
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi JustMeInCA,

I hope you're able to get on the cannabis oil soon.  I have seen some early positive results with my father, stage 4, with a decrease in pain, increase in appetite and full rest.  He was taken off all pain meds and steroids by his second week of dosing the oil.  

He was taking combo too and estimated that his main tumor in his lymph node under his right arm shrank about 50 percent in under a month.

Strange plot twist now is my mom and dad let the cat out of the bag in regards to him using the c.o. to doctor and as I predicted to them he flipped.  The dr basically told my father to stop taking c.o. because it is not proven and that it could prevent the uptake of the drugs and inflame his liver.  I am no doctor but I believe in my gut that he overreacted in his assessment.  My father didn't however and has now decided to take a break from the herbal remedy.

I am worried because the effects of b raf inhibitors are relatively short lived and that my dad will not have taken enough c.o. to make a difference by the time cancer comes raging back.

Anyway, just thought I would let you know our experience.  I am so happy that you have a doctor who is pragmatic in his thinking.  

enatti
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi JustMeInCA,

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for sharing your dad's story. It's very strange that his doctor reacted so strongly — and very unfair to use such a scare tactic. Since two of my dad's doctors have now given the thumbs up, it just waits to be seen what the onc says on Monday. At this point, all he has left to try are morphine and methadone, so I'm hoping this will be seen as preferable to those. 

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for sharing your dad's story. It's very strange that his doctor reacted so strongly — and very unfair to use such a scare tactic. Since two of my dad's doctors have now given the thumbs up, it just waits to be seen what the onc says on Monday. At this point, all he has left to try are morphine and methadone, so I'm hoping this will be seen as preferable to those. 

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                            Participant

Squash
                                                                                                              Participant

Very poor advice from oncologist. Way behind the times and lacking in empathy.

How is the CO taken?

And do you get a high like when you smoke it?

And do you make it yourself from the buds?

My son  has a vaporisor he uses for recreational use….quite nice it is too

Squash
                                                                                                                Participant

How is the CO taken?

Squash
                                                                                                                  Participant

How is the CO taken?

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                    Participant

My understanding is that you don't get a high from the oil and that you can make it yourself from the buds, though it seems it can also be purchased. I took a look at one of the videos on how to extract the oil, and it looked like quite a process! 

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                      Participant

My understanding is that you don't get a high from the oil and that you can make it yourself from the buds, though it seems it can also be purchased. I took a look at one of the videos on how to extract the oil, and it looked like quite a process! 

rick1981
                                                                                                                        Participant

I have never tried regular cannabis (which is odd being Dutch πŸ˜‰ ) – so I can't compare but you DOget a bit of a high with the cannabis oil just NO negative side effects the regular stuff can give you.

They recommend to find this "high" point and then next time take one drop less. Works for my wife… when she takes too much she can get the infamous laughing spells though πŸ™‚ 

rick1981
                                                                                                                          Participant

I have never tried regular cannabis (which is odd being Dutch πŸ˜‰ ) – so I can't compare but you DOget a bit of a high with the cannabis oil just NO negative side effects the regular stuff can give you.

They recommend to find this "high" point and then next time take one drop less. Works for my wife… when she takes too much she can get the infamous laughing spells though πŸ™‚ 

Squash
                                                                                                                            Participant

The high bit has to be good for you as you relax and laugh etc.

Squash
                                                                                                                              Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                                Participant

I'm a bit speechless, imagining Dad riding a bit high. Years ago, when we had the vote in California, Dad voted to legalize. Now his vote will pay off.

And, Rick, what a beautiful country you live in. I visited a friend in Belgium this past summer, and we spent a couple days in the Netherlands. I'm not a big city girl and hate crowds and tourists, so I didn't love Amsterdam, but the smaller towns and the countryside are absolutely stunning. 

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I'm a bit speechless, imagining Dad riding a bit high. Years ago, when we had the vote in California, Dad voted to legalize. Now his vote will pay off.

And, Rick, what a beautiful country you live in. I visited a friend in Belgium this past summer, and we spent a couple days in the Netherlands. I'm not a big city girl and hate crowds and tourists, so I didn't love Amsterdam, but the smaller towns and the countryside are absolutely stunning. 

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Squash
                                                                                                                                      Participant

rick1981
                                                                                                                                        Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                                          Participant

rick1981
                                                                                                                                            Participant

The way you take it? It's drops, so you can simply poor a couple on your hand and suck them up. Like the salt for a tequola shot πŸ™‚

rick1981
                                                                                                                                              Participant

The way you take it? It's drops, so you can simply poor a couple on your hand and suck them up. Like the salt for a tequola shot πŸ™‚

rick1981
                                                                                                                                                Participant

GAngel
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Gina

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics