The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cancer is a Journey

Forums General Melanoma Community Cancer is a Journey

Participant

A brief background before I share a poem that my 12 year old daughter wrote for her 7th grade English class assignment.  I was first diagnosed in 2007.  She has watched me progress from stage 1 all the way to stage 4.  She has been there for all the surgeries, radiation, hospitalizations and now immune therapy.  She has seen and been a part of all of this.  Her poem came as a shock to me and completely blew me away.  I feel compelled to share it with all of you. 

Cancer is a Journey

By Anna Bjorklund

Cancer is a journey with only two possible endings.  It's unpredictable and deadly.  The path is narrow and bending.  It's so easy to give up, and full-on quit pretending.

To fight it you need endless strength and impossible perseverance.  For it's a road trip of great length and a tragic, cruel experience.

The first sign of it is shocking.  It's something you just can't understand.  Not until you hear death knocking, do you know what's truly at hand.

But by then it's much too late.  Now you know you're out of time.  The journey is all done, you're Home.  There's no more ladder left to climb.

There are many rule to this battle by which you must abide.  First, you must give up your normal life and set your dreams aside.  Because deep inside, you know someday, there'll be nowhere left to hide.

It's tiresome and pointless, killing something you can't see.  For every puzzle piece restored, twice as many disappear.  Those who have lived this life agree; that the only hope we need is that there lies relief somewhere.

But the paint won't last forever.  Someday it'll all be gone.  This earthly body will turn to dust, but my new heavenly body will feel no pain.  In that I can trust.

My dad has melanoma.  This poem comes straight from my heart.  When he was young, he didn't use sunscreen.  Sharing this poem helps me do MY part!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Beautiful poem, your daughter definitely has a gift with words. 

Scooby123
          Participant
            What a lovely poem , thank you for sharing xx
            Patrisa
            Participant

It blew me away too, I am at loss for words… Your daughter is amazing and sooo smart..

Bless you both!

Love,

Patrisa

Polymath
              Participant

Bradley,

Wow, what beautiful words, deep understanding and a hopeful message.  You have every right to be proud.  BTW my daughter was 13 when I was diagnosed and although she has handled it quite differently, I say whatever helps them cope with it positively is a good thing.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics