The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

cancer care for Medicaid patients

Forums General Melanoma Community cancer care for Medicaid patients

Participant

A friend has contacted me with an urgent problem – a relative (21 years old) in Florida (Miami) has kidney cancer.  He is on "shared cost Medicaid" and is finding it almost impossible to get care.  She's asked me for resource ideas – I know of no better cancer resource than MPIP.  What should this young man do?

Thank you,

Lori

A friend has contacted me with an urgent problem – a relative (21 years old) in Florida (Miami) has kidney cancer.  He is on "shared cost Medicaid" and is finding it almost impossible to get care.  She's asked me for resource ideas – I know of no better cancer resource than MPIP.  What should this young man do?

Thank you,

Lori

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyPam
        Participant

Hi Lori,

I live in South Florida and my Mother is being treated in Miami at Mount Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center., Stage 4 melanoma.  I don't know how much help I can be, but I thought maybe this information might help.  Has your friend looked at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center they serve as the cancer treatment and research hub of UHealth – University of Miami Health System. They have lots of funding that might be able to assist her son in getting care. I also looked on their website under clinical trials and 16 different trials came up for kidney cancer. I hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

For general information, call UHealth at 305-243-4000 or 1-877-243-4340.

Warm regards,

Wendy

Lori C
            Participant

Wendy, thank you so much.  I have passed the information along.  

Lori

LynnLuc
              Participant

when I first moved here I had to go on it…neither one of us worked. ( we are in Florida). He can go to Moffitt and they will accept his medicaid…they call it medically needy medicaid. He probably has to have at least 3000 before medicaid kicks in however  if he goes to moffitt  each month is going to be at least 3000. if not Moffitt will write off the difference.

LynnLuc
                Participant

when I first moved here I had to go on it…neither one of us worked. ( we are in Florida). He can go to Moffitt and they will accept his medicaid…they call it medically needy medicaid. He probably has to have at least 3000 before medicaid kicks in however  if he goes to moffitt  each month is going to be at least 3000. if not Moffitt will write off the difference.

LynnLuc
                  Participant

Lori C
                    Participant

Lori

Lori C
                      Participant

Lori

WendyPam
                      Participant

Hi Lori,

I live in South Florida and my Mother is being treated in Miami at Mount Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center., Stage 4 melanoma.  I don't know how much help I can be, but I thought maybe this information might help.  Has your friend looked at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center they serve as the cancer treatment and research hub of UHealth – University of Miami Health System. They have lots of funding that might be able to assist her son in getting care. I also looked on their website under clinical trials and 16 different trials came up for kidney cancer. I hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Warm regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                        Participant

Hi Lori,

Warm regards,

Wendy

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics