The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can you move to a hotter/sunnier place with kids and not panic about the sun all the time?

Forums General Melanoma Community Can you move to a hotter/sunnier place with kids and not panic about the sun all the time?

Participant

Hi,

Hi,

I was diagnosed in December last year at the beginning of a southern hemisphere summer.  A week before we had decided to move to Queensland – melanoma capital of the world.  We used to live there for a couple of years and have some (very) extended family there.  We were really looking forward to this move as it was hopefully going to bridge a gap between our families and my husband is extremely keen to move back to his homeland.  But after the diagnosis, a number of scares, and a summer spent avoiding the outside during the daytime, we decided we should not go.  We are now having second thoughts as we enter a cool winter and we were looking forward to finding some middle ground for us both in terms of where we live and of course they have a great (summery) lifestyle.  (I would actually be happy staying put but we are living in my hometown and although my husband says he is happy here I believe he hasn't settled and wants to move back).

I just dont know if this would be a completely ridiculous move.  On the one hand I think – are you crazy moving to melanoma central, on the other I think well at least I know I should protect myself and how to do this.  My kids are fair too.  Is it possible to live in a warmer climate with melanoma?  (especially with kids who are still only 3y and a baby and will obviously be running around and not willing to wear too much clothing).

I'm not sure if melanoma is caused by burns in childhood primarily or is it actually the amount of UV exposure that plays an important part (obviously I would be absolutely certain to avoid any burns in the girls).

Thanks for your thoughts if you have got this far, I'm not sure if this is a great place to write this but I cant think where else to get advice/opinions.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

You can go and do anything you want to do!  Since my Melanoma I have done a Panama Canal Cruise, a Trip to Egypt and I am planning to go to Africa this Fall.  I live in the Nevada desert.  I always were sunscreen, usually long sleeves and most times a hat. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

You can go and do anything you want to do!  Since my Melanoma I have done a Panama Canal Cruise, a Trip to Egypt and I am planning to go to Africa this Fall.  I live in the Nevada desert.  I always were sunscreen, usually long sleeves and most times a hat. 

Mary

Stage 3

Janner
            Participant

I, personally, refuse to let melanoma run my life.  I do what I want – play tennis during the day, camp, garden, whatever.  I do all those things sun safely whether I wear sunblock or some other type of coverup.  I live in the high Utah desert where there is also a higher incidence of melanoma than most everywhere in the US.  Your kids are small and you can train them to be sun safe as they grow up.  Much easier to start early with them rather than try to change the way teenagers dress.  The one advantage to living in the melanoma capital of the world is that – if your kids are wearing sun clothing – at least everyone one else gets it.  If it is best for your family to live in Queensland, then go. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage I since 1992, 3 MM primaries

Janner
              Participant

I, personally, refuse to let melanoma run my life.  I do what I want – play tennis during the day, camp, garden, whatever.  I do all those things sun safely whether I wear sunblock or some other type of coverup.  I live in the high Utah desert where there is also a higher incidence of melanoma than most everywhere in the US.  Your kids are small and you can train them to be sun safe as they grow up.  Much easier to start early with them rather than try to change the way teenagers dress.  The one advantage to living in the melanoma capital of the world is that – if your kids are wearing sun clothing – at least everyone one else gets it.  If it is best for your family to live in Queensland, then go. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage I since 1992, 3 MM primaries

I don't  believe one can hide from this monster.  I am 51 years old, grew up in eastern workiing in the hot high sun picking apples and cherries, playing in the Columbia River and the Snake, and the Yakima.  Sunscreen back then was #2, 4, or 8.  No one knew about sunprotection…  Now we do.  Live your life; that is God' intention.

Surround yourself love, light and peace; Go with GOD!

Shelly in Switzerland

lhaley
                  Participant

Shelly,

I love seeing you posting!

Linda

lhaley
                    Participant

Shelly,

I love seeing you posting!

Linda

I don't  believe one can hide from this monster.  I am 51 years old, grew up in eastern workiing in the hot high sun picking apples and cherries, playing in the Columbia River and the Snake, and the Yakima.  Sunscreen back then was #2, 4, or 8.  No one knew about sunprotection…  Now we do.  Live your life; that is God' intention.

Shelly in Switzerland

Shelly in Switzerland

Shelly in Switzerland

Viewing 7 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics