The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can someone please help with this pathology report?

Forums General Melanoma Community Can someone please help with this pathology report?

Participant

This was written in a pathology report taken from a mole on my mid-abdomen.  I apparently have many of these moles. Is it malignant? Can someone kindly opine and suggest what next steps should be?  Should I be seeking a digital dermatascopy exam?

From report:

This was written in a pathology report taken from a mole on my mid-abdomen.  I apparently have many of these moles. Is it malignant? Can someone kindly opine and suggest what next steps should be?  Should I be seeking a digital dermatascopy exam?

From report:

The dennoepidermal junction contains a melinocytic proliferation in which the melanocytes are disposed primarily in nests.  Many of  the melanocytes show mild cytologic atypia, bridge and fuse adjacent rete and are associated with a fibrosis of  superficial papillary dermis.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

For me this sounds like it is not malignant.

The are three levels of atyipa: mild, moderate and severe. Melanoma is usually diagnosed if there is severe atypia plus other diagnostic criteria.

Normally, there should be a summary or conclusion at the end of the report. Can you post that, too?

But you should repost to the main board. This if the off-topic board which not many people read.

ms_inny
            Participant

Thank you.  I do not know how to get to the main board.  I did forget to add the diagnosis:

Diagnosis: Junction nevus, dysplastic type, extending to one lateral  margin.

dian in spokane
              Participant

you can find the main bulletin board my going to Community (above or over to the left) and clicking on it where it says "Bulletin Board"

But..to answer your question this is NOT melanoma.

If you have a lot of abnormal moles, you should continue to be monitored by a dermatologist.

Did your doctor not explain to you that this is NOT melanoma?

dian

ms_inny
                Participant

Thank you.  I only spoke to his assistant who said that it is pre-cancerous.  I then did some research and obtained the report.  I will see that doctor again and also get a second doctor to screen.

ms_inny
                  Participant

Thank you.  I only spoke to his assistant who said that it is pre-cancerous.  I then did some research and obtained the report.  I will see that doctor again and also get a second doctor to screen.

dian in spokane
                    Participant

you can find the main bulletin board my going to Community (above or over to the left) and clicking on it where it says "Bulletin Board"

But..to answer your question this is NOT melanoma.

If you have a lot of abnormal moles, you should continue to be monitored by a dermatologist.

Did your doctor not explain to you that this is NOT melanoma?

dian

ms_inny
                      Participant

Thank you.  I do not know how to get to the main board.  I did forget to add the diagnosis:

Diagnosis: Junction nevus, dysplastic type, extending to one lateral  margin.

W.
                      Participant

For me this sounds like it is not malignant.

The are three levels of atyipa: mild, moderate and severe. Melanoma is usually diagnosed if there is severe atypia plus other diagnostic criteria.

Normally, there should be a summary or conclusion at the end of the report. Can you post that, too?

But you should repost to the main board. This if the off-topic board which not many people read.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics