The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can someone please explain what this article is talking about?

Forums General Melanoma Community Can someone please explain what this article is talking about?

Participant

Scancell Gets US Orphan Drug Tag for Metastatic Melanoma

LONDON (Alliance News) – Scancell Holdings PLC said Tuesday its SCIB1 ImmunoBody metastatic melanoma treatment had been granted orphan drug designation by the US Food and Drug Administration.

This designation means that Scancell can qualify for a 50% tax credit for clinical trials of the treatment, a waiver of the prescription-drug user fee for the drug-approval procedure, and seven years of market exclusivity.

The orphan drug designation is designed for rare diseases that affect less than 200,000 people in the US, or treatments that are not expected to recover the costs of development and marketing the drug.

Shares in the biopharmaceutical company were trading up 5.5% at 37.17 pence Tuesday morning.

http://www.lse.co.uk/AllNews.asp?code=6ku2pksd&headline=Scancell_Gets_US_Orphan_Drug_Tag_For_Metastatic_Melanoma_Treatment

—–

What in the world is an SCIB1 ImmunoBody metastatic melanome treatment?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

SCIB1 Immunobody is a melanoma vaccine.

This company (Scancell) developed and patented a genetically engineered antibody fragment trade named "Immunobody". You can read about it here: http://www.scancell.co.uk/Apps/Content/html/?fid=6

To this antibody fragment, they can attach pieces of various cancer-specific proteins or "epitopes". By using different epitoes, they hope to be able to develop vaccines for melanoma or lung cancer or kidney cancer, etc. Each of these vaccines will contain the Immunobody part plus the cancer-specific part. You can read more about the SCIB1 anti-melanoma vaccine here: http://www.scancell.co.uk/Apps/Content/HTML/?id=10

KYDonna
            Participant

Fascinating!! Darryel & I were at a presentation in November given by a rep from Bexion Pharm. (They are working on a nanovesicle to treat multiple forms of cancer, and it sounds promising).

Anyway, we met a lady who said she been diagnosed Stage IV some years ago but had participated in a clinical trial for a melanoma vaccine, which apparently worked for her. I don't recall now who was behind that vaccine. At any rate, I thought she was crazy!! Maybe not?!

KYDonna
              Participant

Fascinating!! Darryel & I were at a presentation in November given by a rep from Bexion Pharm. (They are working on a nanovesicle to treat multiple forms of cancer, and it sounds promising).

Anyway, we met a lady who said she been diagnosed Stage IV some years ago but had participated in a clinical trial for a melanoma vaccine, which apparently worked for her. I don't recall now who was behind that vaccine. At any rate, I thought she was crazy!! Maybe not?!

KYDonna
                Participant

Linny
                  Participant

Fascinating. I'd never heard of this until spotting this article on line today.

Linny
                    Participant

Linny
                      Participant

POW
                      Participant

This company (Scancell) developed and patented a genetically engineered antibody fragment trade named "Immunobody". You can read about it here: http://www.scancell.co.uk/Apps/Content/html/?fid=6

To this antibody fragment, they can attach pieces of various cancer-specific proteins or "epitopes". By using different epitoes, they hope to be able to develop vaccines for melanoma or lung cancer or kidney cancer, etc. Each of these vaccines will contain the Immunobody part plus the cancer-specific part. You can read more about the SCIB1 anti-melanoma vaccine here: http://www.scancell.co.uk/Apps/Content/HTML/?id=10

POW
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics