The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Buddy-He was a goo

Forums General Melanoma Community Buddy-He was a goo

Participant

Buddy, my dear husbacd of 43 years, passed  away today.

He really fought the melanoma battle.  The journey has been a long one, some ups, some downs, but we always thought we would win.

Winning wasn't in the cards this time,  Anyone so desiring can man

H

Buddy, my dear husbacd of 43 years, passed  away today.

He really fought the melanoma battle.  The journey has been a long one, some ups, some downs, but we always thought we would win.

Winning wasn't in the cards this time,  Anyone so desiring can man

H

Viewing 33 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cate
        Participant

I'm so sorry Nancy.  Just know that Buddy is finally at peace.  He fought the good fight and can now rest.  I know how difficult this must be for you.  Take care of yourself.  Cate

Cate
          Participant

I'm so sorry Nancy.  Just know that Buddy is finally at peace.  He fought the good fight and can now rest.  I know how difficult this must be for you.  Take care of yourself.  Cate

Linda/Kentucky
            Participant

Many prayers I send to you at this time~~~  I hope you find that the memories of Buddy bring you peace and comfort and know how hard he fought this battle to the end.  God Bless….

Linda/Kentucky 

Linda/Kentucky
              Participant

Many prayers I send to you at this time~~~  I hope you find that the memories of Buddy bring you peace and comfort and know how hard he fought this battle to the end.  God Bless….

Linda/Kentucky 

Fen
                Participant

I'm so sorry. May your memories of those wonderful 43 years bring you comfort.  Sending prayers to you and your family.

Fen

Fen
                  Participant

I'm so sorry. May your memories of those wonderful 43 years bring you comfort.  Sending prayers to you and your family.

Fen

Lori C
                    Participant

I am so sorry.  It is a brutal disease.  Prayers of comfort to you and may Buddy's spirit stay close & comfort you. 

Lori C
                      Participant

I am so sorry.  It is a brutal disease.  Prayers of comfort to you and may Buddy's spirit stay close & comfort you. 

lhaley
                        Participant

Nancy,

My heart is breaking for you. You bought fought this horrible disease with all you had, but God had different plans. Buddy is now at peace. Remember the good times to help you get though this.

Linda

lhaley
                          Participant

Nancy,

My heart is breaking for you. You bought fought this horrible disease with all you had, but God had different plans. Buddy is now at peace. Remember the good times to help you get though this.

Linda

jag
                            Participant

A man's greatest gift sometimes is to be loved and cared for.  That was definitely Buddy.

God Bless

John

jag
                              Participant

A man's greatest gift sometimes is to be loved and cared for.  That was definitely Buddy.

God Bless

John

Nancy
                                Participant

I should have called Jerry to post for me – Sorry – I couldn't get the post finished, etc.

Anyway, he was in hospice, no pain anymore –  He did everything available, but a cure was not to be. 

He said he had a good life,  and the folks who came to visit him, said he was a 'good and decent man"

always fair, in coaching softball, he never embarrased anyone by yelling at them, but took them aside and said,"You can do better next time, can't you?" He had that way about him, even accepting melanoma with as much grace as one could.

Douglas "Buddy" O'Keefe  1941-2010

Nancy

ValinMtl
                                    Participant

I'm so sorry Nancy. Buddy put up a valiant fight, I hate this monster.  Val

ValinMtl
                                      Participant

I'm so sorry Nancy. Buddy put up a valiant fight, I hate this monster.  Val

BethA in VA
                                        Participant

What a nice tribute to your husband of 43 years.  That is a long time…and an example to many.  I am sorry for your loss.  I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.  Beth

BethA in VA
                                          Participant

What a nice tribute to your husband of 43 years.  That is a long time…and an example to many.  I am sorry for your loss.  I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.  Beth

Nancy
                                          Participant

I should have called Jerry to post for me – Sorry – I couldn't get the post finished, etc.

Anyway, he was in hospice, no pain anymore –  He did everything available, but a cure was not to be. 

He said he had a good life,  and the folks who came to visit him, said he was a 'good and decent man"

always fair, in coaching softball, he never embarrased anyone by yelling at them, but took them aside and said,"You can do better next time, can't you?" He had that way about him, even accepting melanoma with as much grace as one could.

Douglas "Buddy" O'Keefe  1941-2010

Nancy

King
                                            Participant

Nancy,

I offer my sincere sympathy to you, Buddy's family and friends.  I hope happy memories of the years together will replace the sadness and stress of the battle with melanoma.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                                              Participant

Nancy,

I offer my sincere sympathy to you, Buddy's family and friends.  I hope happy memories of the years together will replace the sadness and stress of the battle with melanoma.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

debbieVA
                                                Participant

Nancy….

I am so sorry to hear of Buddy's passing…..Praying for peace….God bless you.

Debbie Stage 4 NED

debbieVA
                                                  Participant

Nancy….

I am so sorry to hear of Buddy's passing…..Praying for peace….God bless you.

Debbie Stage 4 NED

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                    Participant

Nancy,

You, Buddy and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.  Buddy was a fighter and you were the perfect partner for him.

Love,

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                      Participant

Nancy,

You, Buddy and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.  Buddy was a fighter and you were the perfect partner for him.

Love,

Jerry from Cape Cod

Rocklove
                                                        Participant

I'm so sorry Nancy for your loss of Buddy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and family.

Rocklove
                                                          Participant

I'm so sorry Nancy for your loss of Buddy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and family.

MaryD
                                                            Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss Nancy – Buddy sounds like a gracious man.  How wonderful to have been married 43 years!   The loss is great but may the memories comfort you .  .

Mary

MaryD
                                                              Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss Nancy – Buddy sounds like a gracious man.  How wonderful to have been married 43 years!   The loss is great but may the memories comfort you .  .

Mary

JoanR
                                                                Participant

I am so sad to hear your news. You will miss him terribly, but hopefully you will find comfort knowing he is at peace at last…take good care of yourself, and soon the days will be easier…Visit here and talk when you need a shoulder to lean on.

JoanR
                                                                  Participant

I am so sad to hear your news. You will miss him terribly, but hopefully you will find comfort knowing he is at peace at last…take good care of yourself, and soon the days will be easier…Visit here and talk when you need a shoulder to lean on.

Amy Busby
                                                                    Participant

Oh Nancy.  I am so so sorry.  I know Buddy had been in decline for awhile but it's never easy to let go.  I will keep you in my prayers as you start this new chapter in your life.  I'm glad he's now at peace & pain free.  He got away and went somewhere melanoma can never tough him.  To me that's a win.

Love,

Amy

Amy Busby
                                                                      Participant

Oh Nancy.  I am so so sorry.  I know Buddy had been in decline for awhile but it's never easy to let go.  I will keep you in my prayers as you start this new chapter in your life.  I'm glad he's now at peace & pain free.  He got away and went somewhere melanoma can never tough him.  To me that's a win.

Love,

Amy

rj
                                                                        Participant

Nancy, dear, I'm so sorry for you.  The blessing is that he's free of pain and all the other effects of melanoma, but the pain now is in your heart as you miss him.  May God strengthen you and comfort you as you struggle with the void in your life.  With a hug and a prayer…Ron and Betsy Johns

EricNJill
                                                                            Participant

Nancy,  You know my heart is breaking for you.  There really are no words.  Just know that I am thinking of you.  I wish I could give you a great big hug.  Love, JillNEric in OH

EricNJill
                                                                              Participant

Nancy,  You know my heart is breaking for you.  There really are no words.  Just know that I am thinking of you.  I wish I could give you a great big hug.  Love, JillNEric in OH

rj
                                                                              Participant

Nancy, dear, I'm so sorry for you.  The blessing is that he's free of pain and all the other effects of melanoma, but the pain now is in your heart as you miss him.  May God strengthen you and comfort you as you struggle with the void in your life.  With a hug and a prayer…Ron and Betsy Johns

JuleFL
                                                                                Participant

I am so sorry for your loss.  You are in my prayers.

Jule

JuleFL
                                                                                  Participant

I am so sorry for your loss.  You are in my prayers.

Jule

Sharyn
                                                                                    Participant

Dear Nancy,

I am so very sorry to hear this news. Both you and Buddy fought a valiant battle for so long. I wish you peace and comfort as you move through this most difficult time,  Please accept my deepest condolences.

Warm comforting hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                                                                                      Participant

Dear Nancy,

I am so very sorry to hear this news. Both you and Buddy fought a valiant battle for so long. I wish you peace and comfort as you move through this most difficult time,  Please accept my deepest condolences.

Warm comforting hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Viewing 33 reply threads
                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics