The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brother enters hospice

Forums General Melanoma Community Brother enters hospice

Participant

I regret to inform you that my brother entered hospice this week.

I regret to inform you that my brother entered hospice this week.

Actually, he has been an in-home hospice patient since this all started 6 months ago. But he has become so weak over the last 3 weeks that he can't walk, so he was admitted as an in-patient. Thankfully, he is not in pain. He has some minor pain in his back from a tumor near his kidney, but that's about it.  With his brain tumors, he has periods of mental clarity and mental confusion and his speech aphasia waxes and wanes, being especially bad when he is tired or under stress. He still hasn't given up the fight– he says that he intends to regain his strength in hospice so he can go home again. But the doctors say that would be a medical miracle. On the other hand, part of him understands the reality of his prognosis, which is why he sold his car and (finally!) made out a will last week. 

When he was first diagnosed in June, he had tumors all over his body including his brain. We were told that he had 4-8 weeks to live. Due to his tremendous will and the availability of Zelboraf and Cyberknife, he had 6 months of a good quality of life. That gave my brother, as well as the rest of the family, time to emotionally adjust to this devestating diagnosis, to make legal and financial plans, and to enjoy some good times together. We will be forever grateful for that.

I want to thank all of you for your help, advice, support, and encouragement over these months. Much as I love my family and friends, I didn't want to overburden them with my problems and my concerns. But you folks understnad the all-consuming nature of this disease and our desperate efforts to "beat the beast". Thank you for being here.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          So very sorry to hear that your brother is nearing the end of his journey. You have truly done everything possible to help and be his advocate.

I will pray for quality time and peace for you all.
          Amy

awillett1991
          Participant
            So very sorry to hear that your brother is nearing the end of his journey. You have truly done everything possible to help and be his advocate.

Amy

awillett1991
            Participant

Amy

Fen
              Participant

I am so very sorry your brother has reached this point.  You've been an amazing advocate for him and I'm sure you've made a huge difference these past months.  I hope you can spend good time with him and continue to support him as you have.  keeping you all in my prayers.   fen

Fen
                Participant

I am so very sorry your brother has reached this point.  You've been an amazing advocate for him and I'm sure you've made a huge difference these past months.  I hope you can spend good time with him and continue to support him as you have.  keeping you all in my prayers.   fen

Fen
                  Participant

aldakota22
                    Participant

Praying that you still get  quality time with your brother.He is a fighter.Such a tough fight for everyone involved.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Praying that you still get  quality time with your brother.He is a fighter.Such a tough fight for everyone involved.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

Tina D
                          Participant

I am so sorry to read this. I am glad you have been able to have these weeks and months after his grim diagnosis. You have been such an amazing advocate in your brother's care and I know you have made a huge difference throughout these difficult and tumultuous days. Praying for you now & hoping you have lots of support close at hand. When words are so hard to come up with, hugs can say so much and bring so much comfort. I am thankful he is not in pain. You have been such a constant optimistic and hopeful voice here & I know you are a huge blessing to him & constant source of comfort and strength.

Tina

Tina D
                            Participant

I am so sorry to read this. I am glad you have been able to have these weeks and months after his grim diagnosis. You have been such an amazing advocate in your brother's care and I know you have made a huge difference throughout these difficult and tumultuous days. Praying for you now & hoping you have lots of support close at hand. When words are so hard to come up with, hugs can say so much and bring so much comfort. I am thankful he is not in pain. You have been such a constant optimistic and hopeful voice here & I know you are a huge blessing to him & constant source of comfort and strength.

Tina

vivian
                                Participant

Sorry to read this sad news – what a fighter your brother has been, and what a wonderful sister you are!  Through your efforts in his behalf, we have all learned so much.  I pray the next days are peaceful for you all.

Lear

vivian
                                  Participant

Sorry to read this sad news – what a fighter your brother has been, and what a wonderful sister you are!  Through your efforts in his behalf, we have all learned so much.  I pray the next days are peaceful for you all.

Lear

NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                      What to say. Please know that my thoughts are with you. Thank you for being here.
                                      K
                                      NYKaren
                                      Participant
                                        What to say. Please know that my thoughts are with you. Thank you for being here.
                                        K
                                        NYKaren
                                        Participant
                                          Meant to say thank you for sticking around for us all. You first posted because of your brother, and you stuck around to encourage us all even after you received info and support.
                                          I hope your brother gets his medical miracle.
                                          Hugs,
                                          Karen
                                          NYKaren
                                          Participant
                                            Meant to say thank you for sticking around for us all. You first posted because of your brother, and you stuck around to encourage us all even after you received info and support.
                                            Hugs,
                                            Karen
                                            NYKaren
                                            Participant
                                              Hugs,
                                              Karen
                                              deardad
                                              Participant

I'm sorry to hear your brother is declining. He is fortunate to have such a supportive brother. 

Take care

Nahmi

deardad
                                                Participant

I'm sorry to hear your brother is declining. He is fortunate to have such a supportive brother. 

Take care

Nahmi

deardad
                                                  Participant

Take care

Nahmi

NYKaren
                                                    Participant
                                                      K
                                                      vivian
                                                      Participant

Lear

Tina D
                                                      Participant

Tina

buffcody
                                                        Participant

I feel like I have come to know both of you well through your posts over the last months that we have both been on this Forum.  My heart goes out to you during this time that must be so stressful and emotionally charged.  He has certainly fought an amazing fight, and you have been a most caring and wise guide for him.  What a wonderful brother and sister team.  Thank you, too, for continuing to help all of us through your knowledgeable and intelligent posts.  I will be praying for both of you and the rest of your family in the days and more to come.

buffcody
                                                          Participant

I feel like I have come to know both of you well through your posts over the last months that we have both been on this Forum.  My heart goes out to you during this time that must be so stressful and emotionally charged.  He has certainly fought an amazing fight, and you have been a most caring and wise guide for him.  What a wonderful brother and sister team.  Thank you, too, for continuing to help all of us through your knowledgeable and intelligent posts.  I will be praying for both of you and the rest of your family in the days and more to come.

buffcody
                                                            Participant

DeniseK
                                                              Participant
                                                                Oh Pat I’m so sorry. I wish that I could give you a big hug!!
                                                                Cherish every moment.
                                                                All my love
                                                                Denise ♥
                                                                DeniseK
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Cherish every moment.
                                                                  All my love
                                                                  Denise ♥
                                                                  DeniseK
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Cherish every moment.
                                                                    All my love
                                                                    Denise ♥
                                                                    meeshka6059
                                                                    Participant

I'm so sorry to hear your news, but your story give me hope for my father. Any time together is a blessing to be cherished. These lessons can be extended to all areas of our lives. May we live them well. Sending peace and love, ~Michelle

meeshka6059
                                                                      Participant

I'm so sorry to hear your news, but your story give me hope for my father. Any time together is a blessing to be cherished. These lessons can be extended to all areas of our lives. May we live them well. Sending peace and love, ~Michelle

meeshka6059
                                                                        Participant

triciad
                                                                          Participant

I am truly sorry to read such bad news.  Like many have said already, you have been such an advocate for your brother.  Through all of your research, you were able to have quality time together.  Please know that my heart goes out to you and your family through this tough time; my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tricia

Snickers60
                                                                              Participant

I am always SOOOO VERY SORRY to read when someone has entered Hospice.  It is a scary word to me –  I use to volunteer at the largest one here, so I know what it means.   

I pray you have the most special moments ever with your brother/family in the time you have left.   That God will grant him peace and NO PAIN, and clarity, as he enters the end of his journey.   I weep to write these words.    Don't know what to say through these blurry eyes now, but GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU and COMFORT you in this dark, painful, but special hour in your lives.

Nancy (devoted wife of Warrior Wayne) 

Snickers60
                                                                                Participant

I am always SOOOO VERY SORRY to read when someone has entered Hospice.  It is a scary word to me –  I use to volunteer at the largest one here, so I know what it means.   

I pray you have the most special moments ever with your brother/family in the time you have left.   That God will grant him peace and NO PAIN, and clarity, as he enters the end of his journey.   I weep to write these words.    Don't know what to say through these blurry eyes now, but GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU and COMFORT you in this dark, painful, but special hour in your lives.

Snickers60
                                                                                  Participant

triciad
                                                                                  Participant

I am truly sorry to read such bad news.  Like many have said already, you have been such an advocate for your brother.  Through all of your research, you were able to have quality time together.  Please know that my heart goes out to you and your family through this tough time; my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                    Participant

Tricia

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics