The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Breslin 0.95, SLNB positive 1 node, 1 cell what will the oncologist say

Forums General Melanoma Community Breslin 0.95, SLNB positive 1 node, 1 cell what will the oncologist say

Participant

Okay now that I am over the rush of blood to my head I am craving information from people's personal experience. Less than three weeks ago I had a biopsy for a mole, three days ago I had a wide margin excision on my right calf and a SNLB. Just got the biopsy report… One node with one "tumor" cell. They are talking about more surgery, but I haven't seen the oncologist yet. That appointment is Wednesday. I am crazy active, freaked by the idea of being laid up in bed for long periods of time. Stories will help.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Emcjones1
        Participant

Ugh Breslow, typing is not my long suit.

Emcjones1
          Participant

cavsnut
              Participant

hello…just had my WLE on my right calf on august 19…had one lymp node out of the 4 taken out in the SLNB possitive, chose not to do the CLND and am going to watch with ulrtrasound…only had a .9mm tumor in one lymph node and it wasn't ulcerated or extrcapsulary. Recovering from the WLE and SLNB was easy, just boring from sitting around for a few weeks…Wish you the best in your recovery and hope everything works out well for you…

God Bless

Craig

washoegal
                Participant

Ah, welcome to the stage 3 purgatory!  I found the first part easy too.  Now for the BIG decisions!  I only had microscopic amounts in one lymph node but chose a CLND.  Yes, I think I have had every side effect.  Lymphedema, damaged nerves, a cyst (not correct term, sorry Janner) that burst, etc….. But I am still happy I chose that route.  I am almost 5 years NED now! 

MY CLND was in the armpit and I am convinced that is a bit easier than the groin but in the end you have to decide what makes you the most comfortable.  Lymphedema can be controlled if you jump on it right away.  I was proactive from day one about it. 

Best of Luck,

Mary

washoegal
                  Participant

Ah, welcome to the stage 3 purgatory!  I found the first part easy too.  Now for the BIG decisions!  I only had microscopic amounts in one lymph node but chose a CLND.  Yes, I think I have had every side effect.  Lymphedema, damaged nerves, a cyst (not correct term, sorry Janner) that burst, etc….. But I am still happy I chose that route.  I am almost 5 years NED now! 

MY CLND was in the armpit and I am convinced that is a bit easier than the groin but in the end you have to decide what makes you the most comfortable.  Lymphedema can be controlled if you jump on it right away.  I was proactive from day one about it. 

Best of Luck,

Mary

washoegal
                    Participant

Best of Luck,

Mary

Emcjones1
                      Participant

Craig this helps. I have the path report in hand know and have spoken to an old colleague, a physician, I used to teach at the medical school. Odd thing is the report says a cell each was located in two of the node extracted. I have more appointments next week. I am wondering if anyone spoke to you about interferon therapy?

cavsnut
                        Participant

my oncologist did talk about interferon, but in my situation with only the microscopic tumor in one of the lymph nodes removed didn't think it was in my best interests to go through with it…while she couldn't recommend my course of treatment legally, as the CLND is the "standard of care", she did say that she was comfortable with my decision…is it the right one? I don't know, but hopefully it will be, and I believe after weighing all the side affects to a groin CLND and interferion, I'm comfortable with it…I wish you the best on whatever you decide on your situation…

btw she did also mention leukine I beleive as a trial drug, but my insurance wouldn't cover it, so you may want to ask about that…

Craig

cavsnut
                          Participant

my oncologist did talk about interferon, but in my situation with only the microscopic tumor in one of the lymph nodes removed didn't think it was in my best interests to go through with it…while she couldn't recommend my course of treatment legally, as the CLND is the "standard of care", she did say that she was comfortable with my decision…is it the right one? I don't know, but hopefully it will be, and I believe after weighing all the side affects to a groin CLND and interferion, I'm comfortable with it…I wish you the best on whatever you decide on your situation…

btw she did also mention leukine I beleive as a trial drug, but my insurance wouldn't cover it, so you may want to ask about that…

Craig

Squash
                            Participant

There is actual research papers out there that studied people who had microscopic amounts less than .1 or .2 mm i think it was and they had the same prognosis as those that had nothing so the conclusion was that CLND was overkill in those that had microscopic amounts of melanoma in their SN.

Squash
                              Participant

There is actual research papers out there that studied people who had microscopic amounts less than .1 or .2 mm i think it was and they had the same prognosis as those that had nothing so the conclusion was that CLND was overkill in those that had microscopic amounts of melanoma in their SN.

Squash
                                Participant

cavsnut
                                  Participant

Craig

Emcjones1
                                    Participant

Craig this helps. I have the path report in hand know and have spoken to an old colleague, a physician, I used to teach at the medical school. Odd thing is the report says a cell each was located in two of the node extracted. I have more appointments next week. I am wondering if anyone spoke to you about interferon therapy?

Emcjones1
                                      Participant

cavsnut
                                        Participant

hello…just had my WLE on my right calf on august 19…had one lymp node out of the 4 taken out in the SLNB possitive, chose not to do the CLND and am going to watch with ulrtrasound…only had a .9mm tumor in one lymph node and it wasn't ulcerated or extrcapsulary. Recovering from the WLE and SLNB was easy, just boring from sitting around for a few weeks…Wish you the best in your recovery and hope everything works out well for you…

God Bless

Craig

cavsnut
                                          Participant

God Bless

Craig

Emcjones1
                                          Participant

Squash
                                            Participant

I would go with ultrasound follow up.

CLND is a brutal procedure and for very small amounts in one lymph node overkill in my opinion.

I doubt if it makes any difference in the long run.

Others will disagree but quality of life should be your number one goal.

Whatever happens dont let anyone rush you into any decision and dont listen to anyone who invokes fear.

Squash
                                              Participant

CLND is a brutal procedure and for very small amounts in one lymph node overkill in my opinion.

Whatever happens dont let anyone rush you into any decision and dont listen to anyone who invokes fear.

Squash
                                                Participant

Emcjones1
                                                    Participant

Thank you for for the replies and support. I am getting a better picture of the choices. I will go to my oncology appointment and then for a second opinion. The hardest part is telling family and friends. Everyone wants to know what the next step is. I don't blame them, a course of action always seems better than gathering data to make an informed decision. 

Emcjones1
                                                      Participant

Thank you for for the replies and support. I am getting a better picture of the choices. I will go to my oncology appointment and then for a second opinion. The hardest part is telling family and friends. Everyone wants to know what the next step is. I don't blame them, a course of action always seems better than gathering data to make an informed decision. 

Emcjones1
                                                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics