The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRCA2 gene, genetic testing, melanoma, lymphoma

Forums General Melanoma Community BRCA2 gene, genetic testing, melanoma, lymphoma

Participant

Hi – I'm doing fine myself, having had no new melanoma sites discovered at my three month and six month follow up visits. But I have a relative who has had melanoma for several years, beginniing about a decade ago. She now has lymphoma. And in our family, we have what is called a cancer gene, BRCA 2. That gene is linked to many types of cancer, and it raises the likelihood of developing cancer tremendously.

Hi – I'm doing fine myself, having had no new melanoma sites discovered at my three month and six month follow up visits. But I have a relative who has had melanoma for several years, beginniing about a decade ago. She now has lymphoma. And in our family, we have what is called a cancer gene, BRCA 2. That gene is linked to many types of cancer, and it raises the likelihood of developing cancer tremendously.

Is anyone else familiar with this gene? And have other people with melanoma later been diagnosed with lymphoma, and are the two cancers related? I've alerted my doctor to the family link to BRCA 2, and we are looking into genetic testing.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Some types of Melanoma and some types of lymphoma's, some Leukema's and some varieties of GIST all have C-kit oncoprotiens and c-kit DNA mutations.  Was your or your relative's melanoma tumors tested for any of the C-kit  mutations?  (I have been a Stagae IV c-kit melanoma patient for 6 years now.)

chalknpens
            Participant

My melanoma was stage 1 at the surface only; I don't believe there were actual tumors, but as I didn't know about the BRCA 2 gene until recently, I don't think my biopsies would have looked for that. And my neice's melanoma tumors also predated the BRCA2 information in our family. But she is now on a 'watchful waiting' regime with her oncologist, so I'll listen for any direct link to her case. Her sister, also my neice, has just been diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer and will begin chemotherepy soon.

Thank you for answering my post.

chalknpens
              Participant

My melanoma was stage 1 at the surface only; I don't believe there were actual tumors, but as I didn't know about the BRCA 2 gene until recently, I don't think my biopsies would have looked for that. And my neice's melanoma tumors also predated the BRCA2 information in our family. But she is now on a 'watchful waiting' regime with her oncologist, so I'll listen for any direct link to her case. Her sister, also my neice, has just been diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer and will begin chemotherepy soon.

chalknpens
                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Some types of Melanoma and some types of lymphoma's, some Leukema's and some varieties of GIST all have C-kit oncoprotiens and c-kit DNA mutations.  Was your or your relative's melanoma tumors tested for any of the C-kit  mutations?  (I have been a Stagae IV c-kit melanoma patient for 6 years now.)

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

buffcody
                    Participant

My mother was diagnosed with melanoma in her 60s.  In her 90s she was diagnosed with lymphoma and died of it.  I had breast cancer before my melanoma but was found to be BRCA negative.  Our family is being researched by NCI for familial melanoma because there were 3 others in the family that also had it.  I believe one of the things they will be looking at will be CDK4.  Don't know much about it yet. One of the side points of this is that my mother was never biopsied to definitively determine whether the lymphoma might have been metastatic melanoma.  Perhaps the doctor was so sure she felt she did not need a biopsy. But it certainly has left a question in my mind with my own metastatic melanoma emerging 6 years after her death and my mother's doctor refusing to communicate with me because of HIPPA, I presume.  Hard to know for sure when a doctor does not return your calls.

chalknpens
                        Participant

Thank you for your replies. I'll be interviewed by an oncologist – phlebotomist this week, to 'predetermine' whether the genetic testing is 'medically indicated' or not. I'll keep you posted.

chalknpens
                          Participant

Thank you for your replies. I'll be interviewed by an oncologist – phlebotomist this week, to 'predetermine' whether the genetic testing is 'medically indicated' or not. I'll keep you posted.

chalknpens
                            Participant

buffcody
                            Participant

My mother was diagnosed with melanoma in her 60s.  In her 90s she was diagnosed with lymphoma and died of it.  I had breast cancer before my melanoma but was found to be BRCA negative.  Our family is being researched by NCI for familial melanoma because there were 3 others in the family that also had it.  I believe one of the things they will be looking at will be CDK4.  Don't know much about it yet. One of the side points of this is that my mother was never biopsied to definitively determine whether the lymphoma might have been metastatic melanoma.  Perhaps the doctor was so sure she felt she did not need a biopsy. But it certainly has left a question in my mind with my own metastatic melanoma emerging 6 years after her death and my mother's doctor refusing to communicate with me because of HIPPA, I presume.  Hard to know for sure when a doctor does not return your calls.

buffcody
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics