The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain surgery today – shunt to be installed

Forums Caregiver Community Brain surgery today – shunt to be installed

Participant
      They’ve been pumping my wife full of blood and platelets and her counts are on the way up so she should be able to have surgery today at 2pm to put in a shunt to relieve the pressure in her brain. This is a good example of how one treatment (chemo) can hinder another (surgery). The neurosurgeon is very concerned about bleeding and since the chemo (Abraxane) she’s been on for the last two weeks has driven her bloodcounts down her ability to clot is compromised. The steroids she is on are a problem too, I did not know that steroids make wound healing difficult.

That’s another reason they don’t want to start any treatment for at least ten days after the surgery. They want the head incision site to heal, brain infection is not good. Our doc has ruled out the direct chemo to the brain. The neurosurgeon concurs. So that’s four professionals saying no to it. I concur. I researched it a lot yesterday and there is no evidence it has any effect against melanoma, and it has large toxicity issues. Her best bet for buying some time is whole brain radiation, but we will hold off making that decision until ten days after surgery. If she elects to do it, it should shrink the cancer in her brain, which is significant according to the scans. Not just the two solid tumors but extensive coating. Since the cancer is in her spinal and brain fluid it will no doubt re-seed in the brain, at which point nothing more can be done since you only do whole brain once. At least the shunt will be in place so as fluid and pressure builds again there is a relief valve.

It’s also possible that in ten days she decides she doesn’t want to do the whole brain because of it’s side effects. Or that she may not be able to because of her compromised condition. Right now she is focusing on a date – she wants to make it through the holidays. My goal is to get her home, and except for trips to the radiation treatment and doctor, never come back to the hospital again. She wants to be surrounded by friends and our boys and dogs. It also means I have to make accommodations in our house for a wheelchair – a ramp and bathroom accessibility. As well as line up visiting nurse and future hospice support. All while making our house festive for the holidays.

Being a caregiver is tough.

Nick

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        justlittleoleme
        Participant

Nick,

you all are in my prayers.  What a tough place to be in.  You are a wonderful husband and caregiver.  I am praying that God give you the strength to handle all you are faced with.

Peace,

barb

justlittleoleme
          Participant

Nick,

you all are in my prayers.  What a tough place to be in.  You are a wonderful husband and caregiver.  I am praying that God give you the strength to handle all you are faced with.

Peace,

barb

justlittleoleme
            Participant

Nick,

Peace,

barb

lhaley
              Participant

Nick,

Being such a good caretaker has and will continue to be a gift for your wife.  The stresses fall on you along with your decisions at this point.   Take care of yourself during this time.

While I've watched my husband over the years I have been able just to watch him during each surgery and decision.  I've always felt that he has a more difficult time than I've had, the caretaker roll. On Sunday when we were told that the tumor was exactly the same it was my husbands mask removed and just smiled.   Make sure that your wife can somehow see through your eyes and let her see your deep smile some of the time. 

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Nick,

Being such a good caretaker has and will continue to be a gift for your wife.  The stresses fall on you along with your decisions at this point.   Take care of yourself during this time.

While I've watched my husband over the years I have been able just to watch him during each surgery and decision.  I've always felt that he has a more difficult time than I've had, the caretaker roll. On Sunday when we were told that the tumor was exactly the same it was my husbands mask removed and just smiled.   Make sure that your wife can somehow see through your eyes and let her see your deep smile some of the time. 

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Nick,

Linda

James from Sydney
                    Participant

Nick you are doing an incredible job as Carer, i know what must be going through your head now having been through the same thing with our son. i just hope that the Surgery and WBR improve her status and gives you time to fulfil your wishes. I just pray that there is a miracle around †he corner about to happen.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                      Participant

Nick you are doing an incredible job as Carer, i know what must be going through your head now having been through the same thing with our son. i just hope that the Surgery and WBR improve her status and gives you time to fulfil your wishes. I just pray that there is a miracle around †he corner about to happen.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                        Participant

best wishes

James

MichaelFL
                          Participant

May you can get hospice involved now as they offer palliative car as well as end of life. Get friends and family involved too.

Your last paragraph says it all. No matter what happens with everything else, I hope she makes it through the holidays and may it be as pain free as possible.

MichaelFL
                            Participant

May you can get hospice involved now as they offer palliative car as well as end of life. Get friends and family involved too.

Your last paragraph says it all. No matter what happens with everything else, I hope she makes it through the holidays and may it be as pain free as possible.

MichaelFL
                              Participant

mombase
                                Participant

I just want to echo everyone above, especially the part about getting others involved as much as possible. American Cancer Society also has volunteer services. Farm out everything that you can so that you can spend quality time with Meagan.

Cristy

mombase
                                  Participant

I just want to echo everyone above, especially the part about getting others involved as much as possible. American Cancer Society also has volunteer services. Farm out everything that you can so that you can spend quality time with Meagan.

Cristy

mombase
                                    Participant

Cristy

nickmac56
                                      Participant
                                        Surgery was a success. Pressure should be reduced fairly soon. She’s doing well.
                                          lhaley
                                          Participant

Glad it was successful!   Sometimes this site needs a like button!

Linda

lhaley
                                            Participant

Linda

lhaley
                                              Participant

Linda

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

Glad to hear the surgery is over and went well.  The relieving of the pressure on the brain can do wonders for one.  I have often thought that the caregiving may be worse than being the patient. 

Find a way to enjoy at least some of the time you get to spend with your wife.  If Hospice is needed, Get it.  My Mother-in-law wound up being in Hospice care for 8 years.  They were great and became like family and were such a relief for my father-in-law.

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

Glad to hear the surgery is over and went well.  The relieving of the pressure on the brain can do wonders for one.  I have often thought that the caregiving may be worse than being the patient. 

Find a way to enjoy at least some of the time you get to spend with your wife.  If Hospice is needed, Get it.  My Mother-in-law wound up being in Hospice care for 8 years.  They were great and became like family and were such a relief for my father-in-law.

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

nickmac56
                                                    Participant
                                                      Surgery was a success. Pressure should be reduced fairly soon. She’s doing well.
                                                      nickmac56
                                                      Participant
                                                    Viewing 17 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics