The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Mets and for those who are still kickin’ it a few years later

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Mets and for those who are still kickin’ it a few years later

Participant

For those who've had brain mets (more than 2) and are still living live 1,2, 3 + years later, I'd really love to know what the reasoning of this could be and the treatment that may have helped.  One woman had 3 and that was 5 years ago and another amazing woman had 15 and that's been 2.5 years! !   I know some tumours keep coming and then stop, or others just keep coming and don't stop.  I know there is hope though, but I supposed I need to understand it a bit.

For those who've had brain mets (more than 2) and are still living live 1,2, 3 + years later, I'd really love to know what the reasoning of this could be and the treatment that may have helped.  One woman had 3 and that was 5 years ago and another amazing woman had 15 and that's been 2.5 years! !   I know some tumours keep coming and then stop, or others just keep coming and don't stop.  I know there is hope though, but I supposed I need to understand it a bit.

I had 2 brain mets and then got followed up after 8 weeks and found 2 more – very small and nothing more found in my brain (less than 0.5mm) from the brain mri.   I'll be going every 8 weeks to keep tabs on them which I believe is the best thing possible as well as gamma knife.

Lisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Alicia15
        Participant

Lisa,

I think I responded to one of your posts a while ago.  I had 2 small brain mets, and mets to several other organs. I have been free of disease for 6 years now.

In my case the main treatment was surgery (lung, spine and small bowels) and srs (similar to GK) for the brain mets. All my problems stopped once I started Leukine/GM-CSF. Me and my oncos believe that GM-CSF helped my immune system keep the mel under control.

Keep up the fight!

Alicia

Lisa13
            Participant
              hi Alicia,

Thank you so much for responding. You give me so much hope and truly wish to be just like you.

lisa

Lisa13
              Participant
                hi Alicia,

Thank you so much for responding. You give me so much hope and truly wish to be just like you.

lisa

Lisa13
                Participant
                  hi Alicia,

lisa

Alicia15
                Participant

Lisa,

I think I responded to one of your posts a while ago.  I had 2 small brain mets, and mets to several other organs. I have been free of disease for 6 years now.

In my case the main treatment was surgery (lung, spine and small bowels) and srs (similar to GK) for the brain mets. All my problems stopped once I started Leukine/GM-CSF. Me and my oncos believe that GM-CSF helped my immune system keep the mel under control.

Keep up the fight!

Alicia

Alicia15
                  Participant

Lisa,

Keep up the fight!

Alicia

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics