The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Mets after COMBO Braf/Mek??????

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Mets after COMBO Braf/Mek??????

Participant

Hi Folks, 

I have been reading since i was diagnosed Stage IV last february and i have the feeling that many people develop brain Mets after fail on Combo,. . 

Whats your opinion?? 

Is there any study about it?

Thanks a lot for your replies

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Dear Jualonso,

Sadly, melanoma is very unpredictable and does have a propensity to cause brain and lung mets.  It can also deposit mets in tissue, liver, and bone….pretty much anywhere it wants to. I even had a tonsilar met, for heaven's sake! As I recall…and may be wrong…but you are on a BRAFi and NED…yes? If that is so…that's wonderful!! There are many folks who do very well on BRAFi for longer times especially when using intermittent dosing and combining it with a MEKi. There are many studies demonstrating BRAFi effectiveness in brain tumors.  You can use the bubble in the top left corner of my blog to search for more info about all of that.

But here's the thing… With melanoma…and life, actually, we do NOT have any absolutes. I admit that I have moments when I worry about my future. But, I prefer to spend most of whatever moments I continue to have LIVING and doing as little wasteful worrying as possible!  There's a quote I love from Cloud Atlas…it goes something like….I aint the first 'un have'n to live not know'n…and I ain't the last.

I wish you my very best, a little hope, some helpful knowledge if I have any to share, and much peace.

yours, Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Dear Jualonso,

Sadly, melanoma is very unpredictable and does have a propensity to cause brain and lung mets.  It can also deposit mets in tissue, liver, and bone….pretty much anywhere it wants to. I even had a tonsilar met, for heaven's sake! As I recall…and may be wrong…but you are on a BRAFi and NED…yes? If that is so…that's wonderful!! There are many folks who do very well on BRAFi for longer times especially when using intermittent dosing and combining it with a MEKi. There are many studies demonstrating BRAFi effectiveness in brain tumors.  You can use the bubble in the top left corner of my blog to search for more info about all of that.

But here's the thing… With melanoma…and life, actually, we do NOT have any absolutes. I admit that I have moments when I worry about my future. But, I prefer to spend most of whatever moments I continue to have LIVING and doing as little wasteful worrying as possible!  There's a quote I love from Cloud Atlas…it goes something like….I aint the first 'un have'n to live not know'n…and I ain't the last.

I wish you my very best, a little hope, some helpful knowledge if I have any to share, and much peace.

yours, Celeste

jualonso
              Participant
                Hi Celeste,
                Thanks for your wise words. I will follow your piece of advice. Just living the time I have now. I hope you are still NED with nivo and keeps it for decades. You really deserves it. And hope to see it 🙂
                Juan
                jualonso
                Participant
                  Hi Celeste,
                  Thanks for your wise words. I will follow your piece of advice. Just living the time I have now. I hope you are still NED with nivo and keeps it for decades. You really deserves it. And hope to see it 🙂
                  Juan
                  jualonso
                  Participant
                    Hi Celeste,
                    Juan
                  Bubbles
                  Participant

Dear Jualonso,

yours, Celeste

kalisama
                    Participant

I have been on this combo since it was approved by FDA several months (6?) ago after being on Zelbarof alone. My last PET scan 3 weeks ago revealed multiple mets in brain. I just had the 2 largest treated radiostatically last week. Both my oncologist and radiologist expressed that targeted immunotherapy meds have a hard time crossing the blood/brain barrier. I am very curious if research is being done on how to get these meds up in to our brains! I still have an uncountable amount of mets in brain that weren't there 6 months ago when I was on Zelb. I do hope research is being done in this area. 

Not to get woo-woo but I heard that reishi tea crosses the b/b barrier and am wondering if anyone is using this to facilitate transport of these meds. I haven't tried it yet myself, but have it sitting on the shelf while I research.

grace,

kali

Patina
                        Participant

Hi Grace,

I am sorry to hear about the new brain mets and hope the information/links I provided below can help you.

To answer your question there have been a few retrospective studies on brain mets, gamma knife radiation and ipilimumab (Yervoy).  The results look very promising.  

My Mom, who was diagnosed in November of 2013, had gamma knife radiation on 12/9 and started ipilimumab on 12/12.  The doctor chose this over a BRAF pill because ipi stimulates T-cells which are in the brain and since she was BRAF positive we had that as a backup if we were not seeing any results.   Based on the studies they do have there seems to be a synergistic effect with gamma knife treatment  and ipi. (There also maybe one with MK-3475 (Pembrolizumab).)  

The theory, as I understand it, goes something like this: when gamma knife radiation is preformed small particles of melanoma are released into the blood stream, which stimulate the immune system. Starting ipi, which also stimulates the immune system, may "rev up" the now active immune system much more. – 2 things might just be better than 1…

We have been told that ipi "seems" to work "last" on the brain and my Mom's results might help to "prove" this out later, but no one really knows yet…

My Mom's results have been for the most part excellent even though she had gamma knife radiation a second time on 4/15 for 16 brain mets. (24 in all were treated during the two sessions.)

Ipi/Yervoy, at least for her, started decreasing the size of her tumors within days. (These were located under her scalp and on her neck and very visible.)   She had 18 tumors on her scalp and by day 21 they had shrunk and by day 42 the largest was gone and many were gone or had shrunk dramatically.  Today you can't find anything but a speck or two on her head and the CT's and recent MRI for her brain show everything in her body getting smaller or looking like "old disease"/calcium deposits and she has no new brain mets since the last gamma knife radiation on 4/15.  – No cognitive dysfunction, seizures…

My Mom is being treated by Dr. Mike Wong and Dr. Eric Chang at USC in Los Angeles.

Here are two studies on brain mets and ipilumumab:

Ipilimumab and radiation therapy for melanoma brain metastases. 2013

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3892394/

Survival of melanoma patients with brain metastases treated with ipilimumab and stereotactic radiosurgery. 2013.

http://www.accc-cancer.org/ossn_network/SC/presentations/SCNC-Spring2013-Tazi.pdf

Merck Expanded Access (MK-3475/Pembrolizumab) for Melanoma Patients

http://www.merck.com/about/MK-3475.html

kalisama
                          Participant

thank you for your in depth reply. i will read over these links carefully. i've been reluctant to switch to yervoy from braf for 3 reasons:

1) i would have to be very closely monitored and i live 4 hrs from my doctors

2) my understanding is that the side effects are horrific

3) also my understanding that once on ip, one cannot return to braf inhibitors.

when my first not brain met developed this past winter my oncologist suggested yervoy. i was very reluctant and then fda approved the mek/tafinlar combo so we went there. he hasn't mentioned a higher effectiveness of yervoy on brain mets. as i said i'll read through these links and maybe bring up with him in a few weeks when i go for follow up from last cyberknife treatments.

thank you again for your time and knowledge.

kalisama
                            Participant

thank you for your in depth reply. i will read over these links carefully. i've been reluctant to switch to yervoy from braf for 3 reasons:

when my first not brain met developed this past winter my oncologist suggested yervoy. i was very reluctant and then fda approved the mek/tafinlar combo so we went there. he hasn't mentioned a higher effectiveness of yervoy on brain mets. as i said i'll read through these links and maybe bring up with him in a few weeks when i go for follow up from last cyberknife treatments.

kalisama
                              Participant

Patina
                                Participant

Hi Grace,

I am sorry to hear about the new brain mets and hope the information/links I provided below can help you.

To answer your question there have been a few retrospective studies on brain mets, gamma knife radiation and ipilimumab (Yervoy).  The results look very promising.  

My Mom, who was diagnosed in November of 2013, had gamma knife radiation on 12/9 and started ipilimumab on 12/12.  The doctor chose this over a BRAF pill because ipi stimulates T-cells which are in the brain and since she was BRAF positive we had that as a backup if we were not seeing any results.   Based on the studies they do have there seems to be a synergistic effect with gamma knife treatment  and ipi. (There also maybe one with MK-3475 (Pembrolizumab).)  

The theory, as I understand it, goes something like this: when gamma knife radiation is preformed small particles of melanoma are released into the blood stream, which stimulate the immune system. Starting ipi, which also stimulates the immune system, may "rev up" the now active immune system much more. – 2 things might just be better than 1…

We have been told that ipi "seems" to work "last" on the brain and my Mom's results might help to "prove" this out later, but no one really knows yet…

My Mom's results have been for the most part excellent even though she had gamma knife radiation a second time on 4/15 for 16 brain mets. (24 in all were treated during the two sessions.)

Ipi/Yervoy, at least for her, started decreasing the size of her tumors within days. (These were located under her scalp and on her neck and very visible.)   She had 18 tumors on her scalp and by day 21 they had shrunk and by day 42 the largest was gone and many were gone or had shrunk dramatically.  Today you can't find anything but a speck or two on her head and the CT's and recent MRI for her brain show everything in her body getting smaller or looking like "old disease"/calcium deposits and she has no new brain mets since the last gamma knife radiation on 4/15.  – No cognitive dysfunction, seizures…

My Mom is being treated by Dr. Mike Wong and Dr. Eric Chang at USC in Los Angeles.

Survival of melanoma patients with brain metastases treated with ipilimumab and stereotactic radiosurgery. 2013.

http://www.accc-cancer.org/ossn_network/SC/presentations/SCNC-Spring2013-Tazi.pdf

Patina
                                  Participant

Hi Grace,

kalisama
                                  Participant

I have been on this combo since it was approved by FDA several months (6?) ago after being on Zelbarof alone. My last PET scan 3 weeks ago revealed multiple mets in brain. I just had the 2 largest treated radiostatically last week. Both my oncologist and radiologist expressed that targeted immunotherapy meds have a hard time crossing the blood/brain barrier. I am very curious if research is being done on how to get these meds up in to our brains! I still have an uncountable amount of mets in brain that weren't there 6 months ago when I was on Zelb. I do hope research is being done in this area. 

Not to get woo-woo but I heard that reishi tea crosses the b/b barrier and am wondering if anyone is using this to facilitate transport of these meds. I haven't tried it yet myself, but have it sitting on the shelf while I research.

grace,

kali

kalisama
                                    Participant

grace,

kali

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

The problem with chemo therapy is that very few moleculs are small enough to get thru the blood brain barrier. (BBB).  Immunology does not go thru the BBB.  The different Immunology therapies each work slightly differently to enhance the Immunesystem to "trian" the T-cells to know that them melanoma cells are BAD.  The T-cells then, hopefully, go to work in overdrive.  This overdrive is the reason for the possible bad side-effects.  They do no't just go into overdrive gainst cancer cells, but in some cases cause immune system problems.  Approximatel 45-50% of Stage IV melanoma patients will develope brain mets.  I have not seen the exact figures, but it does appear that the compo may have a higher rte of brain mets afterwards.  Is this because those people are still alive?  The subject is being looked at and the data will be interesting.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

The problem with chemo therapy is that very few moleculs are small enough to get thru the blood brain barrier. (BBB).  Immunology does not go thru the BBB.  The different Immunology therapies each work slightly differently to enhance the Immunesystem to "trian" the T-cells to know that them melanoma cells are BAD.  The T-cells then, hopefully, go to work in overdrive.  This overdrive is the reason for the possible bad side-effects.  They do no't just go into overdrive gainst cancer cells, but in some cases cause immune system problems.  Approximatel 45-50% of Stage IV melanoma patients will develope brain mets.  I have not seen the exact figures, but it does appear that the compo may have a higher rte of brain mets afterwards.  Is this because those people are still alive?  The subject is being looked at and the data will be interesting.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics