The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Mets

Participant

Hi everyone.I have not been on in awhile but have been reading and keepin up with my fellow patients out there.  I was so sorry to hear about Kevin.He was so courageous in sharing his experience.  After being NED for alittle over a year, I just found out this week that I have brain mets, MRI says most likely from my melanoma primary which was on my foot. I have a total of six lesions, one larger one that I will have surgery on, then follow with radiation for the rest. Not sure what treatment will be beyond that. Naturally, I am scared to death.

Hi everyone.I have not been on in awhile but have been reading and keepin up with my fellow patients out there.  I was so sorry to hear about Kevin.He was so courageous in sharing his experience.  After being NED for alittle over a year, I just found out this week that I have brain mets, MRI says most likely from my melanoma primary which was on my foot. I have a total of six lesions, one larger one that I will have surgery on, then follow with radiation for the rest. Not sure what treatment will be beyond that. Naturally, I am scared to death. I would really like to hear some success stories from those who were successfully treated for brain mets. I really appreciate it, thank you.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        benp
        Participant

Hi Becky, 

I have had a total of 11 brain mets. I've had 2 craniotomies, gamma knife and TIL. Initial results show that some are shrinking) but I'll know more in a couple of weeks). I'm feeling good! Are you on any kind of immunotherapy (Ipi/Pd-1/TIL)? By radiation do you mean WBR or GK?

Ben.

benp
          Participant

Hi Becky, 

I have had a total of 11 brain mets. I've had 2 craniotomies, gamma knife and TIL. Initial results show that some are shrinking) but I'll know more in a couple of weeks). I'm feeling good! Are you on any kind of immunotherapy (Ipi/Pd-1/TIL)? By radiation do you mean WBR or GK?

Ben.

benp
            Participant

Hi Becky, 

Ben.

Becky C.
                Participant

No not yet. just found this out 2days ago. I am taking a steroid to help with swelling around the tumors.

Becky C.
                  Participant

No not yet. just found this out 2days ago. I am taking a steroid to help with swelling around the tumors.

Becky C.
                    Participant

jmmm
                    Participant
                      In October 2011, my they found a huge (5.5 cm x 5.5 cm) tumor in my husband’s brain. Craniotomy + gamma knife to treat it and he has had clear MRI’s for almost a year! Last month he had a seizure from radiation induced necrosis, but it doing well on steroids and anti-seizure meds. Anxiously awaiting another MRI at the end of the month.
                      jmmm
                      Participant
                        In October 2011, my they found a huge (5.5 cm x 5.5 cm) tumor in my husband’s brain. Craniotomy + gamma knife to treat it and he has had clear MRI’s for almost a year! Last month he had a seizure from radiation induced necrosis, but it doing well on steroids and anti-seizure meds. Anxiously awaiting another MRI at the end of the month.
                        jmmm
                        Participant
                          Amanda
                          Participant

My Boyfriend had One 3cm met on his brain, as well as two smaller mets near his brain stem. He also has a met on his scalp that we can see.  He had a Craniotomy on the large met due to it bleeding and putting preasure causing a bad headache.  He then did a course of WBR.  We watched the met on his scalp shrink after the WBR and it's almost flat now. Took months for it to shrink completely.  Doc is assuming it has done the same to the other smaller two.  We have a scan coming next week to see what his mets in his lungs look like after the ipi.  His huge 9cm met on his pectoral muscle has remained stable since starting yervoy which was about 5 months ago..hoping the smaller lung mets have shrunk.  Scans will show.  I hope my input has helped.  God Bless.

Amanda
                            Participant

My Boyfriend had One 3cm met on his brain, as well as two smaller mets near his brain stem. He also has a met on his scalp that we can see.  He had a Craniotomy on the large met due to it bleeding and putting preasure causing a bad headache.  He then did a course of WBR.  We watched the met on his scalp shrink after the WBR and it's almost flat now. Took months for it to shrink completely.  Doc is assuming it has done the same to the other smaller two.  We have a scan coming next week to see what his mets in his lungs look like after the ipi.  His huge 9cm met on his pectoral muscle has remained stable since starting yervoy which was about 5 months ago..hoping the smaller lung mets have shrunk.  Scans will show.  I hope my input has helped.  God Bless.

Amanda
                              Participant

Ali
                                Participant

They found 25 small mets in my brain in June.  In September they were all gone after a treatment of Yervoy.  I thought brain mets were impossible, I was glad to be wrong.   I have heard radiation works very well in the brain.  Best of  luck!

Becky C.
                                    Participant

Thanks for all your responses. I know every case is different, but hearing your experience definitely makes me feel encouraged.

Becky C.
                                      Participant

Thanks for all your responses. I know every case is different, but hearing your experience definitely makes me feel encouraged.

Becky C.
                                        Participant

Ali
                                        Participant

They found 25 small mets in my brain in June.  In September they were all gone after a treatment of Yervoy.  I thought brain mets were impossible, I was glad to be wrong.   I have heard radiation works very well in the brain.  Best of  luck!

Ali
                                          Participant

jag
                                            Participant

I have had 6 craniotomies to date.  No evidence of disease since 3/2008.  Have had 2 surgeries since then to clean up the radiation necrosis.

Working full time.

Just had a baby boy.

Never thought I'd get my life back, but here I am.

jag
                                              Participant

I have had 6 craniotomies to date.  No evidence of disease since 3/2008.  Have had 2 surgeries since then to clean up the radiation necrosis.

Working full time.

Just had a baby boy.

jag
                                                Participant

Working full time.

Just had a baby boy.

Becky C.
                                                    Participant

Congrats on your new baby! I hope and pray that my treatment will be as soccessful as yours. By craniotomies, do you mean surgery for tumor removal?

Becky C.
                                                      Participant

Congrats on your new baby! I hope and pray that my treatment will be as soccessful as yours. By craniotomies, do you mean surgery for tumor removal?

Becky C.
                                                        Participant

kellygrl
                                                        Participant

My husband is a healthy 41 yr old with 11 brain tumors. Diagnosed in Mar 12, surgery not an option, but did have biopsy to test for BRAF mutation…  he has it, so Zelboraf  it is!  He first had 18 treatments of WBR which he tolerated well, but did not work.  So, now on to the Zelboraf! He has been on it 4 mos, 2 MRI's have shown all tumors are shrinking. He has very minimal side effects, feels great… oh, he did have to go off for a few wks because his lab work of the liver was high, but he went back on a lower dose as almost zero side effects. Next MRI in 3 mos & hoping Santa brings another good report!

Best of luck to you, stay strong!!  Kelly

kellygrl
                                                          Participant

My husband is a healthy 41 yr old with 11 brain tumors. Diagnosed in Mar 12, surgery not an option, but did have biopsy to test for BRAF mutation…  he has it, so Zelboraf  it is!  He first had 18 treatments of WBR which he tolerated well, but did not work.  So, now on to the Zelboraf! He has been on it 4 mos, 2 MRI's have shown all tumors are shrinking. He has very minimal side effects, feels great… oh, he did have to go off for a few wks because his lab work of the liver was high, but he went back on a lower dose as almost zero side effects. Next MRI in 3 mos & hoping Santa brings another good report!

kellygrl
                                                            Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics