The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community brain mets

Participant
      For those people who have brain mets, what was your first symptom? I am stage 3b and have extreme dizziness and I am worried. I have called my doctor, waiting for a call back……just wondering if anyone’s first symptom was dizziness.

P.s. sorry for overreacting, it’s hard to not go straight to the cancer when new things happen.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Well Melissa from my experience last Aug. 2013 a MRI scan was how I found out. I had cyberknife treatment the first week of Oct a year ago to treat three little mets. None have returned and I was very lucky to not have any side effects. Well maybe one or two according to my wife!!!!!  I keep telling her that I forgot to do the dishes!!! Best of luck and try not to worry!!! Ed

ed williams
          Participant

Well Melissa from my experience last Aug. 2013 a MRI scan was how I found out. I had cyberknife treatment the first week of Oct a year ago to treat three little mets. None have returned and I was very lucky to not have any side effects. Well maybe one or two according to my wife!!!!!  I keep telling her that I forgot to do the dishes!!! Best of luck and try not to worry!!! Ed

ed williams
            Participant

RJoeyB
              Participant

Melissa,

It’s a difficult balancing act to be vigilant but also not overreact, I know.  My first and only brain met was in the winter of 2013 — fairly large for a melanoma brain met, 2.5-cm, and was (mostly) asymptomatic.  In hindsight, there had been a mild “hitch” in my step for a month or so that I thought was related to surgery for a bone met near my knee a year earlier.  Prior to my craniotomy, they started me on steroids to reduce the associated cerebral edema (swelling) and the hitch in my step went away.  The tumor was near the area responsible for left-side motor control.

But on the opposite front, and I think this is a funny story, after having the first brain met, I knew there was an increased risk for future ones, so I was hypersensitive about that.  About 10 months after the successful craniotomy and CyberKnife radiation, things were going well.  Prior to my Stage IV diagnosis in summer of 2010, I struggled with frequent tension headaches, not necessarily full-blown migraines, but still not fun.  We could never find a cause.  After my diagnosis, I went three years without a single headache, even through the brain met treatment in 2013.  But that fall, I started getting headaches, eye strain, mild nausea, etc., almost every evening without fail.  I also started hearing a very subtle pounding in my head, sort of like when your ears are clogged and you can hear your pulse in your head.  This went on for a couple of weeks and I was all prepared to bring it up with my oncologist at my upcoming visit.  Turns out that the headaches were related to new animations in the updated iPhone software.  I would use my phone more in the evening while watching TV, which explained why they were happening in the evening.  I turned off the animations and the headaches went away immediately.  There were a few news stories around that time with others experiencing headaches and feelings of vertigo from the new iPhone software.  And a week after that, our neighbor mentioned that her 20-something son had started running on their new treadmill in the evening and asked if it was bothering us (we live in a town home with a common wall).  That was the source of the subtle pounding I was noticing.

When I was practically asymptomatic, I had a 2.5-cm tumor, and when I had several symptoms, it was an iPhone software update and a kid on a treadmill ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

I'm not dismissing your symptoms, certainly discuss them with your doctor and if you feel like you need answers, insist on the necessary scan(s) — MRI is best for brain scans for mets.  But also be open to other explanations.  As I said, I know it's a tough balancing act between vigilance and hypersensitivity.  Hang in there!

Joe

RJoeyB
                Participant

Melissa,

It’s a difficult balancing act to be vigilant but also not overreact, I know.  My first and only brain met was in the winter of 2013 — fairly large for a melanoma brain met, 2.5-cm, and was (mostly) asymptomatic.  In hindsight, there had been a mild “hitch” in my step for a month or so that I thought was related to surgery for a bone met near my knee a year earlier.  Prior to my craniotomy, they started me on steroids to reduce the associated cerebral edema (swelling) and the hitch in my step went away.  The tumor was near the area responsible for left-side motor control.

But on the opposite front, and I think this is a funny story, after having the first brain met, I knew there was an increased risk for future ones, so I was hypersensitive about that.  About 10 months after the successful craniotomy and CyberKnife radiation, things were going well.  Prior to my Stage IV diagnosis in summer of 2010, I struggled with frequent tension headaches, not necessarily full-blown migraines, but still not fun.  We could never find a cause.  After my diagnosis, I went three years without a single headache, even through the brain met treatment in 2013.  But that fall, I started getting headaches, eye strain, mild nausea, etc., almost every evening without fail.  I also started hearing a very subtle pounding in my head, sort of like when your ears are clogged and you can hear your pulse in your head.  This went on for a couple of weeks and I was all prepared to bring it up with my oncologist at my upcoming visit.  Turns out that the headaches were related to new animations in the updated iPhone software.  I would use my phone more in the evening while watching TV, which explained why they were happening in the evening.  I turned off the animations and the headaches went away immediately.  There were a few news stories around that time with others experiencing headaches and feelings of vertigo from the new iPhone software.  And a week after that, our neighbor mentioned that her 20-something son had started running on their new treadmill in the evening and asked if it was bothering us (we live in a town home with a common wall).  That was the source of the subtle pounding I was noticing.

When I was practically asymptomatic, I had a 2.5-cm tumor, and when I had several symptoms, it was an iPhone software update and a kid on a treadmill ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

I'm not dismissing your symptoms, certainly discuss them with your doctor and if you feel like you need answers, insist on the necessary scan(s) — MRI is best for brain scans for mets.  But also be open to other explanations.  As I said, I know it's a tough balancing act between vigilance and hypersensitivity.  Hang in there!

Joe

RJoeyB
                  Participant

Melissa,

Joe

kylez
                    Participant

Melissa, there are as many possible symptoms / neurological changes as there are parts of the brain. My first one had visual symptoms and was in the visual part of the brain. My 2nd and third larger ones manifested in an instability to perform sequential tasks and those were in different parts of the brain. I think it's very wise to call your oncologist with any possibly neurological changes. I would for myself. Even if it's not a brain met it might be something else important. -Kyle

kylez
                      Participant

Melissa, there are as many possible symptoms / neurological changes as there are parts of the brain. My first one had visual symptoms and was in the visual part of the brain. My 2nd and third larger ones manifested in an instability to perform sequential tasks and those were in different parts of the brain. I think it's very wise to call your oncologist with any possibly neurological changes. I would for myself. Even if it's not a brain met it might be something else important. -Kyle

kylez
                        Participant

JoshF
                          Participant

Melissa-

I know the feeling so need to apologize….there is no over reacting. I'm the king of that….anytime I have headache, neck pain or really any twinge of pain I right away relate it melanoma. I've been struggling with this the last couple weeks but I still exercise (play racquetball) lift weights and coordination etc… is fine. My onc says typically you will have symptoms but I have no experience with brain mets. I just wanted to say never apologize for being hyper sensitive to your condition…if you're thinking…you know someone else is….like me. I hope all is well!!

josh

JoshF
                            Participant

Melissa-

I know the feeling so need to apologize….there is no over reacting. I'm the king of that….anytime I have headache, neck pain or really any twinge of pain I right away relate it melanoma. I've been struggling with this the last couple weeks but I still exercise (play racquetball) lift weights and coordination etc… is fine. My onc says typically you will have symptoms but I have no experience with brain mets. I just wanted to say never apologize for being hyper sensitive to your condition…if you're thinking…you know someone else is….like me. I hope all is well!!

josh

JoshF
                              Participant

Melissa-

josh

Melissag0624
                                  Participant
                                    Thank you everyone for your encouragement and wise words. I did end up seeing my primary care doctor, who thought I might have an inner ear infection. I took dramamine and some Valium (it seriously is prescribed for inner ear infections) and today I feel completely back to normal with no meds. Kinda werid for it to come on so strong and go away so fast. I will keep you posted if things change
                                    Melissag0624
                                    Participant
                                      Thank you everyone for your encouragement and wise words. I did end up seeing my primary care doctor, who thought I might have an inner ear infection. I took dramamine and some Valium (it seriously is prescribed for inner ear infections) and today I feel completely back to normal with no meds. Kinda werid for it to come on so strong and go away so fast. I will keep you posted if things change
                                      ed williams
                                      Participant

I have never tried Valium before but maybe you doc is on to something here!!!!!!  It may not be a cure for Melanoma but there would be a lot of happy patients. Ed

ed williams
                                        Participant

I have never tried Valium before but maybe you doc is on to something here!!!!!!  It may not be a cure for Melanoma but there would be a lot of happy patients. Ed

ed williams
                                          Participant

Melissag0624
                                            Participant
                                        Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics