The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Metastases Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Metastases Update

Participant

Good Morning from New hampshire!

As a short background, I am in my 10th year battling melanoma and I continue to win this battle! There is no giving up in my heart! Setbacks are a part of life. It's how you deal with them that makes the difference.

Good Morning from New hampshire!

As a short background, I am in my 10th year battling melanoma and I continue to win this battle! There is no giving up in my heart! Setbacks are a part of life. It's how you deal with them that makes the difference.

In the process of gaining entry into the new t-cell targeted therapy clinical trials at NIH in Bethesda, MD, I learned I had multiple melanoma metastases in the brain – more than 10. I just completed a 10 session Whole Brain Radiation Treatment (WBRT) program at the Nashua (NH) Regional Cancer Center on Wednesday. I will have a followup brain MRI on either August 25th or 29th, depending on the facility I choose. I will know by August 31st whether I am a candidate for targeted radiation to zap any remaining metastases (SRS). I remain confident and hopeful that I can proceed with SRS, get the met count to 3 or less and get started at NIH as previously planned.

If you have any specific questions you would like to ask me regarding my experiance in dealing with WBRT in confidence, you are welcome to email me at [email protected]. Enjoy your day, take one day at a time and be thankful we have such great technology, medications and physicians to help us through this.

Bruce

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        TracyLee
        Participant

Bruce,

Attitude is half the battle, and your attitude is wonderful!

You WILL be able to get to NIH, I'm just positive you will.

Blessings,

TracyLee

TracyLee
          Participant

Bruce,

Attitude is half the battle, and your attitude is wonderful!

You WILL be able to get to NIH, I'm just positive you will.

Blessings,

TracyLee

ValinMtl
            Participant

You go Bruce!  I'm so happy that the WBRT is over.  I want you down here at NIH real soon so we can compare notes. The computer randomized me to the TBI arm. On leave for 10-days after a two-week stay of apheresis (white cells and stem cells), tests, scans, and more scans etc.  I start on the big guns on Tuesday, August 16th (ugh! but good).  Did you read what's happening in leukemia…and our Rosenberg's right in the milieu…with T-cells…just gives me that extra confidence.  The care is exceptional.  Val xx

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breakthrough-cancer-docs-abuzz-lymphoma-treatment/story?id=14283544

MariaH
                Participant

Bruce, I so hope it went well so you can join Val in Bethesda!  Praying for the best for the BOTH of you – NIH is really a wonderful place to be.

Best wishes,

Maria

MariaH
                  Participant

Bruce, I so hope it went well so you can join Val in Bethesda!  Praying for the best for the BOTH of you – NIH is really a wonderful place to be.

Best wishes,

Maria

ValinMtl
                  Participant

You go Bruce!  I'm so happy that the WBRT is over.  I want you down here at NIH real soon so we can compare notes. The computer randomized me to the TBI arm. On leave for 10-days after a two-week stay of apheresis (white cells and stem cells), tests, scans, and more scans etc.  I start on the big guns on Tuesday, August 16th (ugh! but good).  Did you read what's happening in leukemia…and our Rosenberg's right in the milieu…with T-cells…just gives me that extra confidence.  The care is exceptional.  Val xx

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breakthrough-cancer-docs-abuzz-lymphoma-treatment/story?id=14283544

Bruce in NH
                    Participant

Thank you Tracy/Lee, Val and Maria for your supportive comments. It really is all about attitude. I received an encouraging note from a longtime friend and fraternity brother from college who said that whenever anyone asked him how he was doing, he says "FANTASTIC!" Most people say good , fine or OK. I have decided to adopt his mentality and will work hard to win this war. I may have two battle zones raging in my body (brain and chest wall) but in the end I will win! NIH, here I come!!!

Bruce

Bruce in NH
                      Participant

Thank you Tracy/Lee, Val and Maria for your supportive comments. It really is all about attitude. I received an encouraging note from a longtime friend and fraternity brother from college who said that whenever anyone asked him how he was doing, he says "FANTASTIC!" Most people say good , fine or OK. I have decided to adopt his mentality and will work hard to win this war. I may have two battle zones raging in my body (brain and chest wall) but in the end I will win! NIH, here I come!!!

Bruce

MaryD
                        Participant

Hi Bruce,

You really do have a great attitude and all your plans are in place to fight!    Sending good thoughts that all the brain mets have cleared up and that you can dive right into the trial at NIH.

I too am a 10 year veteran (currently NED) and am grateful for every day!

Best of luck to you . .

Mary

Bruce in NH
                            Participant

Thanks, Mary. Congratulations on 10 years of fighting and I wish you continued NED status.  We both know how difficult it can be physically, mentally and emotionally but for me it crystalizes how important life and living is each day. I wish you continued success in your journey in life.

Bruce

jag
                              Participant

test

jag
                                Participant

test

Bruce in NH
                                  Participant

Thanks, Mary. Congratulations on 10 years of fighting and I wish you continued NED status.  We both know how difficult it can be physically, mentally and emotionally but for me it crystalizes how important life and living is each day. I wish you continued success in your journey in life.

Bruce

MaryD
                                  Participant

Hi Bruce,

You really do have a great attitude and all your plans are in place to fight!    Sending good thoughts that all the brain mets have cleared up and that you can dive right into the trial at NIH.

I too am a 10 year veteran (currently NED) and am grateful for every day!

Best of luck to you . .

Mary

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics