The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Met update

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Met update

Participant

Hey All,

So after finding out on Thursday that my husband had at least 4 brain mets seen on CT, we spoke with our radiologist. He arranged for an MRI on Friday afternoon and called us in the evening to let us know the results. 

Jason has 6 visible brain mets, and a few of those are quite large. So the doctor feels that we should go ahead with WBR.

Hey All,

So after finding out on Thursday that my husband had at least 4 brain mets seen on CT, we spoke with our radiologist. He arranged for an MRI on Friday afternoon and called us in the evening to let us know the results. 

Jason has 6 visible brain mets, and a few of those are quite large. So the doctor feels that we should go ahead with WBR.

After reading all the many articles/research that many of you posted and hearing 2 opinions from oncologists, the risk of more brain mets appearing decreses from 50% to 20% if he is responsive to the WBR. And given the amount of lesions it's highly likely that more will appear.

So he'll start WBR this week and hopefully be able to reduce the amount of steriod he's on before the next IPI infusion.

The doctor did say that there is some evidence that starting a steroid during IPI treatment does not reduce the chance of it working, And since he's only on 4mg dexamethasone twice a day  he should be able to reduce the dose before the next IPI treatment.

Jason said to me yesterday that he thinks the IPI is working. He doesn't know why he feels that way, just a gut feeling. So I'm going to go with that gut feeling and believe that it's working! We will get through this!!

Does anybody here know how long after you complete the WBR treatments you need to stay on steroids?

thanks,

Em

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mombase
        Participant

Hi Em,

I am sorry to hear about Jason' s brain mets. I will be asking my radiation onc that very same question this Thursday. I only had one brain met which was surgically removed and now I have been recommended for WBR starting in approximately a week. I also have several lung mets and hope to start on ipi as soon as possible after WBR. So many unanswered questions!!

mombase
          Participant

Hi Em,

I am sorry to hear about Jason' s brain mets. I will be asking my radiation onc that very same question this Thursday. I only had one brain met which was surgically removed and now I have been recommended for WBR starting in approximately a week. I also have several lung mets and hope to start on ipi as soon as possible after WBR. So many unanswered questions!!

nickmac56
            Participant

You deserve a lot of credit for doing so much homework; Jason is a fortunate man to have someone like you taking such good care of him. Wishing him the best as he moves forward with his treatment. Don't forget to take care of yourself too!

nickmac56
              Participant

You deserve a lot of credit for doing so much homework; Jason is a fortunate man to have someone like you taking such good care of him. Wishing him the best as he moves forward with his treatment. Don't forget to take care of yourself too!

glewis923
                Participant

dear em-   go with WBR-  i did- gotta do what ya gotta do.    you of couse should demand they SRS  (take your pick on brand) any sizable – all 6 is what i would BEG for- tumors, and kill the little buggers dead we hope.   WBR would as you note just lower odds of new/faster growing mets.

love, grady.    

Terra
                    Participant

Emily, I am sorry to hear about that Jason has brain mets.  It does sound like you have gotten the information you need to move forward and I hope that the ipi is working for Jason.  I hope everything is going well for you too – we will be in Toronto at PMH nest Tuesday and Wednesday – if you are going to be there let me know and maybe we can have a coffee.

Terra

Terra
                      Participant

Emily, I am sorry to hear about that Jason has brain mets.  It does sound like you have gotten the information you need to move forward and I hope that the ipi is working for Jason.  I hope everything is going well for you too – we will be in Toronto at PMH nest Tuesday and Wednesday – if you are going to be there let me know and maybe we can have a coffee.

Terra

glewis923
                      Participant

dear em-   go with WBR-  i did- gotta do what ya gotta do.    you of couse should demand they SRS  (take your pick on brand) any sizable – all 6 is what i would BEG for- tumors, and kill the little buggers dead we hope.   WBR would as you note just lower odds of new/faster growing mets.

love, grady.    

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics