The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Braf or Braf/MEK combo trial/feedback needed

Forums General Melanoma Community Braf or Braf/MEK combo trial/feedback needed

Participant

Hi,

I am new to the MPIP site & been reading everything. I am stage 3, unrescetable Braf positive. My doctor says I qualify for Braf or Braf/MEK combo trial.

Would like to know for anyone what kind of side effectss and timeframe for a response (tumor shrinkage) have you experienced.

Also, if you get "remission"/no more tumors do you still have to kep taking the drugs forever???

I am scared and hope to learn more from you so that I can go into the trial with realistic expectations.

Hi,

I am new to the MPIP site & been reading everything. I am stage 3, unrescetable Braf positive. My doctor says I qualify for Braf or Braf/MEK combo trial.

Would like to know for anyone what kind of side effectss and timeframe for a response (tumor shrinkage) have you experienced.

Also, if you get "remission"/no more tumors do you still have to kep taking the drugs forever???

I am scared and hope to learn more from you so that I can go into the trial with realistic expectations.

Any feedback on your experience would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless you all

Lena

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        EricNJill
        Participant

My husband just started a BRAF/MEK combination trial yesterday.  We were told that they are commonly seeing diarreha, skin rash and fevers.  There are of course many others listed but those seem to be the most common.  I've heard that some people notice a difference in their tumors within days.  I guess it would depend on where your tumors are and how noticable they are.  Eric has over hundred tumors in and on his right leg so we hope to atleast notice some shinkage in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck to you!

JillNEric

EricNJill
          Participant

My husband just started a BRAF/MEK combination trial yesterday.  We were told that they are commonly seeing diarreha, skin rash and fevers.  There are of course many others listed but those seem to be the most common.  I've heard that some people notice a difference in their tumors within days.  I guess it would depend on where your tumors are and how noticable they are.  Eric has over hundred tumors in and on his right leg so we hope to atleast notice some shinkage in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck to you!

JillNEric

Hi Lena,

I have just updated my profile(click on my name and it will take you there)  which includes the side effects that I have experienced and response times.

This inhibitor drug is one that you take for the duration even when the tumors are gone, as is my understanding.

However, we are on the cusp of a new era in melanoma.  With time they will find a combination of drugs that will blow those nasty little buggers out of the water! 

Take care, many blessings to you and your husband.

Shelly in Switzerland

Hi Lena,

I have just updated my profile(click on my name and it will take you there)  which includes the side effects that I have experienced and response times.

This inhibitor drug is one that you take for the duration even when the tumors are gone, as is my understanding.

However, we are on the cusp of a new era in melanoma.  With time they will find a combination of drugs that will blow those nasty little buggers out of the water! 

Take care, many blessings to you and your husband.

Shelly in Switzerland

Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics