The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF negative

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF negative

Participant

I'm a little confused about this, I know it limits some treatment options. Is this a good thing or bad , does it changes recurrence chances.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Socks
        Participant

Right now, as far as I know, it's …honestly not a bad thing to be BRAF negative. As you said, it limits treatment options a little, but those treatments wouldn't do a BRAF negative patient any good (and might cause some harm). I'm BRAF negative and my oncologist hasn't adjusted my recurrence chance or told me it was anything to worry about; it just meant I couldn't get into a clinical trial that required BRAF positive patients.

Really what they're saying when they say someone is "BRAF positive" is that the patient has a mutated BRAF gene, which is sending out signals saying "Grow, cells! Multiply! Be fruitful and also cancerous!" So the only real negative to being BRAF negative is that the new, much-spoken-of treatments aren't going to be able to help you. It's sort of like "I'm full right now, so I don't really need that pizza, as delicious as it sounds."

Socks
          Participant

Right now, as far as I know, it's …honestly not a bad thing to be BRAF negative. As you said, it limits treatment options a little, but those treatments wouldn't do a BRAF negative patient any good (and might cause some harm). I'm BRAF negative and my oncologist hasn't adjusted my recurrence chance or told me it was anything to worry about; it just meant I couldn't get into a clinical trial that required BRAF positive patients.

Really what they're saying when they say someone is "BRAF positive" is that the patient has a mutated BRAF gene, which is sending out signals saying "Grow, cells! Multiply! Be fruitful and also cancerous!" So the only real negative to being BRAF negative is that the new, much-spoken-of treatments aren't going to be able to help you. It's sort of like "I'm full right now, so I don't really need that pizza, as delicious as it sounds."

Socks
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Hi Anon,

Being BRAF positive or negative does not change your chance of recurrence.  However, it does mean that the category of treatments that utilize BRAF inhibitors would not help you.  Here is a post I created that explains what BRAF is and how it can contribute to about 50% of melanoma patients:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Hope that helps explain things a little.  Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Hi Anon,

Being BRAF positive or negative does not change your chance of recurrence.  However, it does mean that the category of treatments that utilize BRAF inhibitors would not help you.  Here is a post I created that explains what BRAF is and how it can contribute to about 50% of melanoma patients:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hi Anon,

Bubbles
                    Participant

One other good thing…this study showed that patients responded EQUALLY well to these drug no matter if they were BRAF positive or not.

Survival, response duration, and activity by BRAF mutation status of nivolumab (anti-PD1, BMS-936588) and ipilimumab concurrent therapy in advanced melanoma
                      Abstract LBA9003

Sznol, Kluger, Kirkwood, Wolchok, et al

53 melanoma patients were enrolled from 2009-2012 and were given ipi and nivo concurrently, then followed by nivo alone (with a variety of dosing patterns). Patients with and without BRAF had similar response.

WIshing you my best…c

Bubbles
                      Participant

One other good thing…this study showed that patients responded EQUALLY well to these drug no matter if they were BRAF positive or not.

Survival, response duration, and activity by BRAF mutation status of nivolumab (anti-PD1, BMS-936588) and ipilimumab concurrent therapy in advanced melanoma
                        Abstract LBA9003

53 melanoma patients were enrolled from 2009-2012 and were given ipi and nivo concurrently, then followed by nivo alone (with a variety of dosing patterns). Patients with and without BRAF had similar response.

WIshing you my best…c

Bubbles
                        Participant

Abstract LBA9003

WIshing you my best…c

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics