The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF Mutation Question

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF Mutation Question

Participant

I am one of the "lucky" ones  with the BRAF mutation or so says my ONC.  Anyway my question for some of the more well studied in this group, if you have a gene mutation does that mean it effects you no matter you status (ie NED).  Specifically, is that Gene mutated within your body not just a Melanoma  Tumor?  What got me wondering was when my Onc suggested I have my regular cancer screenings Breast, Colon, etc more frequently.  Then I started reading the BRAF shows in Colon, non small lung, etc.  What I know about genes I can fill on about two l

I am one of the "lucky" ones  with the BRAF mutation or so says my ONC.  Anyway my question for some of the more well studied in this group, if you have a gene mutation does that mean it effects you no matter you status (ie NED).  Specifically, is that Gene mutated within your body not just a Melanoma  Tumor?  What got me wondering was when my Onc suggested I have my regular cancer screenings Breast, Colon, etc more frequently.  Then I started reading the BRAF shows in Colon, non small lung, etc.  What I know about genes I can fill on about two lines.

Thanks,

Mary

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Very good question.

Yes, you are correct, the BRAF gene is mutated within the body, and can even be inherited as well. Or, the mutation can also appear as we age and cause cancer as what is called a acquired mutations or oncogene, which is a gene that has the potential to cause cancer. In tumor cells, they are often mutated or expressed at high levels.

Many abnormal cells normally undergo a programmed form of death (apoptosis). Activated oncogenes can cause those cells to survive and proliferate instead. Most oncogenes require an additional step, such as mutations in another gene, or environmental factors, such as viral infection, to cause cancer. Since the 1970s, dozens of oncogenes have been identified in human cancer. Many cancer drugs such as PLX4032 (also known as vemurafenib, RG7204 or RO5185426) target those DNA sequences.

Michael

washoegal
            Participant

Michael, so am I interpreting my Mel Onc statements correctly, that he wants my other screenings more frequently than would otherwise be indicated for my age, etc.  because of the BRAF mutation. That's something I hadn't considered.  Yeah, I get to support more docs! wink

Thanks Micheal.

dawn dion
              Participant

This is a interesting thread – I am BRAF positive – again my onc was over the moon about it.  But the whole thing was never presented to me this way.

dawn dion
                Participant

This is a interesting thread – I am BRAF positive – again my onc was over the moon about it.  But the whole thing was never presented to me this way.

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Yes, I think you are interpreting your oncologists statements correctly as BRAF is expressed in other cancers as well such as thyroid, colorectal, ovarian and more. BUT that does not mean someone will get another type of cancer.

Michael

MichaelFL
                    Participant

After thinking further, let me rephrase as I do not want to cause anyone undue concern. In doctor speak, the chances of having two different cancers are "highly unlikely".

Michael

MichaelFL
                      Participant

After thinking further, let me rephrase as I do not want to cause anyone undue concern. In doctor speak, the chances of having two different cancers are "highly unlikely".

Michael

MichaelFL
                        Participant

Yes, I think you are interpreting your oncologists statements correctly as BRAF is expressed in other cancers as well such as thyroid, colorectal, ovarian and more. BUT that does not mean someone will get another type of cancer.

Michael

washoegal
                          Participant

Michael, so am I interpreting my Mel Onc statements correctly, that he wants my other screenings more frequently than would otherwise be indicated for my age, etc.  because of the BRAF mutation. That's something I hadn't considered.  Yeah, I get to support more docs! wink

Thanks Micheal.

Jlwood
                            Participant

I also have the BRAF mutation in my stage 3 C cancer. Does that mean if you have this gene that it’s not a matter of “if” it will come back but more a matter or “where” it will come back?

MichaelFL
                            Participant

Very good question.

Yes, you are correct, the BRAF gene is mutated within the body, and can even be inherited as well. Or, the mutation can also appear as we age and cause cancer as what is called a acquired mutations or oncogene, which is a gene that has the potential to cause cancer. In tumor cells, they are often mutated or expressed at high levels.

Many abnormal cells normally undergo a programmed form of death (apoptosis). Activated oncogenes can cause those cells to survive and proliferate instead. Most oncogenes require an additional step, such as mutations in another gene, or environmental factors, such as viral infection, to cause cancer. Since the 1970s, dozens of oncogenes have been identified in human cancer. Many cancer drugs such as PLX4032 (also known as vemurafenib, RG7204 or RO5185426) target those DNA sequences.

Michael

nicoli
                              Participant

I have not been Braf tested nor do I know much about it.

But one question:  are there more and better medicines for Braf positives than for "regular" melanoma?

Are the survival rates better for Braf positives?

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

MichaelFL
                                  Participant

Another hard question. 

About 60% of melanomas contain a mutation in the B-RAF gene

Depending on which study one reads, the BRAF drugs such as plx-4032 (RG7204) offer a good response rate, but the problem is that the melanoma eventually finds a way around the drug through another pathway or pathways and begins to grow again, thus the response is not long lasting.

In one study: 32 patients with melanoma, all with the BRAF V600E mutation were
                                    given 960 mg of PLX4032 twice daily; 26 had a response. The median survival without the melanoma progressing was estimated to be more than 7 months and the estimated median overall survival had not been reached by the time of the study report.

Michael

nicoli
                                    Participant

So here we go with "median" again.

Just like the article in hotelmelanoma. Do most cancer statistics use "median",  cuz that's just not right.

And by the way, I do know what median means! Actually passed college stats!

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

nicoli
                                      Participant

So here we go with "median" again.

Just like the article in hotelmelanoma. Do most cancer statistics use "median",  cuz that's just not right.

And by the way, I do know what median means! Actually passed college stats!

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

MichaelFL
                                        Participant

Another hard question. 

About 60% of melanomas contain a mutation in the B-RAF gene

Depending on which study one reads, the BRAF drugs such as plx-4032 (RG7204) offer a good response rate, but the problem is that the melanoma eventually finds a way around the drug through another pathway or pathways and begins to grow again, thus the response is not long lasting.

In one study: 32 patients with melanoma, all with the BRAF V600E mutation were
                                          given 960 mg of PLX4032 twice daily; 26 had a response. The median survival without the melanoma progressing was estimated to be more than 7 months and the estimated median overall survival had not been reached by the time of the study report.

Michael

nicoli
                                        Participant

I have not been Braf tested nor do I know much about it.

But one question:  are there more and better medicines for Braf positives than for "regular" melanoma?

Are the survival rates better for Braf positives?

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics