The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF mutation explained

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF mutation explained

Participant
      Hi everyone,
      I’m very new to this. Can anyone explain to me difference between BRAF mutation and non- BRAF. Is there a long term survival or reoccurrence difference. I apologize for my anxiety. I know there a people on this forum with much bigger issues.
      I guess I got good news yesterday from Dr. Paul Chapman. No treatment for stage 3a. Was very adamant about it. He just confirmed what my surgeon and oncologist already decided. Still very anxious and on edge to leave it to mentoring only.. Prayers for everyone.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          I put this together some time ago, but it still applies:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

The shorter, most direct answer about BRAF is this. If you have BRAF positive melanoma, targeted therapy works. If you do not have the BRAF mutation those drugs do not. c

Bubbles
            Participant
              BRAF status does not affect response to immunotherapy. c
            Hukill
            Participant
              I am braf negative, nivo/ipi worked great for me.
              MelanomaMike
              Participant
                Hi Suzana65, i feel your “up in the airness” over all this, im in the same boat just different circumstances, Bubbles and others have helped i see…
                Im BRAF Negative so, various immunal drugs could work for me, but, as youll learn, it goes way way further then just the BRAF testing, in the beganning, BRAF testing is a mainstay protocol before treatment begans, but to really hone in on YOUR particular DNA make up of YOUR Melanoma, gets really technical and beneficial to future drugs that may have a great response to treating you, alot of it still goes over my head! Hang in there Suzana!
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics