The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF mutation

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF mutation

Participant

What is the significance of the mutation? Is it good to have, or bad? I think my tissue has been sent out at least twice to find out if I have the mutation with two different doctors, and I haven't found out the result with either one, so I'm not sure if the tissue was lost in the mail, or what. After my last pet scan, I had a couple more nodes light up. I had a needle biopsy done on the larger node which came back positive and the doctor talked about finding out the BRAF mutation which reminded of that. 

Back to surgery on Wednesday, and the other 2 nodes they are going to be watch and wait. The surgeon is concerned with nerve damage because of scar tissue since this is an area I had the surgery previously. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

It's not really good or bad to have a BRAF mutation. Having a BRAF V600 E or K (the most common 2 types) mutation opens the door to additional treatment options. It doesn't necessarily change your odds of response to Ipi, Nivo, or Pembro, but would give your doctors some additional drugs to attack with… which are most often a combo of MEK and Taf. BRAF inhibitor drugs tend to work more rapidly than the immunotherapy infusions, and can sometimes be effective in BRAF positive patients for many years. Although, more often than not, melanoma eventually mutates its way around the BRAF drugs, and patients will then be moved onto Ipi, Nivo, or Pembro.

Finding out if you are BRAF or not, is most certainly useful info. It's also important to know where your doc stages you, as this will determine the approved treatment options.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a smooth surgery this week. Bummer to find anything lighting up… sorry you're having to head back in for more cutting.

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

It's not really good or bad to have a BRAF mutation. Having a BRAF V600 E or K (the most common 2 types) mutation opens the door to additional treatment options. It doesn't necessarily change your odds of response to Ipi, Nivo, or Pembro, but would give your doctors some additional drugs to attack with… which are most often a combo of MEK and Taf. BRAF inhibitor drugs tend to work more rapidly than the immunotherapy infusions, and can sometimes be effective in BRAF positive patients for many years. Although, more often than not, melanoma eventually mutates its way around the BRAF drugs, and patients will then be moved onto Ipi, Nivo, or Pembro.

Finding out if you are BRAF or not, is most certainly useful info. It's also important to know where your doc stages you, as this will determine the approved treatment options.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a smooth surgery this week. Bummer to find anything lighting up… sorry you're having to head back in for more cutting.

miaka618
              Participant

Thanks for the info! No more ipi for me because of my reaction and since this is considered a local recurrence, I am still at a stage III which really limits my options. 

April 

cancersnewnormal
                Participant

I jumped straight from stage 1a to stage IV, so I'm not sure where the "no man's land" of stage III is for treatment options. However… if your doc is concerned about nerve damage, and leaves the additional nodes as "watch and wait", he could potentially stage you as "stage 3 unresectable", which would open doors for more treatment options. 

Here's a link with some info….. scroll about 1/2 way down the page.  : )  http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/melanoma/treatment-options

miaka618
                  Participant

Again, thanks for the info! 

April 

miaka618
                    Participant

April 

miaka618
                      Participant

April 

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

I jumped straight from stage 1a to stage IV, so I'm not sure where the "no man's land" of stage III is for treatment options. However… if your doc is concerned about nerve damage, and leaves the additional nodes as "watch and wait", he could potentially stage you as "stage 3 unresectable", which would open doors for more treatment options. 

Here's a link with some info….. scroll about 1/2 way down the page.  : )  http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/melanoma/treatment-options

cancersnewnormal
                          Participant

miaka618
                            Participant

Thanks for the info! No more ipi for me because of my reaction and since this is considered a local recurrence, I am still at a stage III which really limits my options. 

April 

miaka618
                              Participant

April 

cancersnewnormal
                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                Participant

You should get your onc to consider you unresectable stage 3, which would open the door to all of the immunotherapy treatments. That's what I did, because there's really no use in doing surgery again, when the chances of cells having gotten past the lymph area at this point is pretty high. I had same situation as you, was on Ipi, did all the main doses and a couple maintenance ones. September scan showed lymph node light up, needle biopsy, positive for mel, and now I am on Ipi/Nivo combo. I am BRAF positive, and very glad since that opens the door to those targeted treatments if I ever need them. 

My onc tried using my needle biopsy tissue for BRAF testing but it was not sufficient enough, which may be what is happening with yours. My onc requested my original tumor, the mole that was removed from my leg, and was able to get that tested. Glad they keep these things around since it was removed a year prior to the testing.

With surgery, you go back to NED, and you will not have any treatment options. Without surgery, you are not NED, but you have all options available. Something to think about.

All the best,

miaka618
                                    Participant

This is something I will definitely talk to him about. Like I said, they only want to take out 1 of the three since the other 2 didn't "light up" as much on the scan and are in a bad spot. 

April 

miaka618
                                      Participant

This is something I will definitely talk to him about. Like I said, they only want to take out 1 of the three since the other 2 didn't "light up" as much on the scan and are in a bad spot. 

April 

Mark_DC
                                        Participant

Hi April, i was stage iii and took ipi adjuvant, but liver reaction too bad (like you) so stopped ipi, then local recurrence (again like your case) and braf negative (like you!). Doctor said he would not excise since it would just come back again, so bumped me up to keytruda and have had fifth infusion and seem to be doing ok. Its kind of scary not excising since you can feel the tumor and feel it grow (or i hope just become inflamed) but its probably a good option. So i agree with the others and this is probably a very good option. Can excise later or try intralesional if this does not work. Good luck!!!!

Mark_DC
                                          Participant

Hi April, i was stage iii and took ipi adjuvant, but liver reaction too bad (like you) so stopped ipi, then local recurrence (again like your case) and braf negative (like you!). Doctor said he would not excise since it would just come back again, so bumped me up to keytruda and have had fifth infusion and seem to be doing ok. Its kind of scary not excising since you can feel the tumor and feel it grow (or i hope just become inflamed) but its probably a good option. So i agree with the others and this is probably a very good option. Can excise later or try intralesional if this does not work. Good luck!!!!

Mark_DC
                                            Participant

miaka618
                                              Participant

April 

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

You should get your onc to consider you unresectable stage 3, which would open the door to all of the immunotherapy treatments. That's what I did, because there's really no use in doing surgery again, when the chances of cells having gotten past the lymph area at this point is pretty high. I had same situation as you, was on Ipi, did all the main doses and a couple maintenance ones. September scan showed lymph node light up, needle biopsy, positive for mel, and now I am on Ipi/Nivo combo. I am BRAF positive, and very glad since that opens the door to those targeted treatments if I ever need them. 

My onc tried using my needle biopsy tissue for BRAF testing but it was not sufficient enough, which may be what is happening with yours. My onc requested my original tumor, the mole that was removed from my leg, and was able to get that tested. Glad they keep these things around since it was removed a year prior to the testing.

With surgery, you go back to NED, and you will not have any treatment options. Without surgery, you are not NED, but you have all options available. Something to think about.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

All the best,

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

I put this post together some time ago.  While therapies have advanced, the info about BRAF is still valid.

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Hang in there.  I wish you well.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                                    Participant

I put this post together some time ago.  While therapies have advanced, the info about BRAF is still valid.

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics