The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF/MEK trial, 8 week scan tomorrow

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF/MEK trial, 8 week scan tomorrow

Participant

Hi,

I have been on the GSK BRAF/Mek trial for 8 weeks now, and go for my first ct scan tomorrow.   Hoping and Praying for good results.  So far, the trial as been ok, but some of the side effects have gotten me.  Extreme joint pain in my feet and hands.  Taking oxycodone for it, which leaves me fatigued.  Otherwise, very few other side effects.  Anyway, wish me luck.

B

Hi,

I have been on the GSK BRAF/Mek trial for 8 weeks now, and go for my first ct scan tomorrow.   Hoping and Praying for good results.  So far, the trial as been ok, but some of the side effects have gotten me.  Extreme joint pain in my feet and hands.  Taking oxycodone for it, which leaves me fatigued.  Otherwise, very few other side effects.  Anyway, wish me luck.

B

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dawn dion
        Participant

Good luck to you – when did your side effects start?  I started the GSK BRAF/Mek trial on 3/3 so far I haven't had any side effects.   Keep us posted.

Dawn (Stage IV, Florida)

Bugandi
            Participant

Hi Dawn, the first 3-4 weeks were good.  Towards the end of week 4 is when my side effects started, and were at the worst at week 6.  they are better now, but I started taking pain meds at week 6 too.  Hope that helps.  will be discussing with doctor on Thursday as well.

B

dawn dion
              Participant

Thanks for the info – That makes me feel a better – I had heard it took a few days for the effects to kick in but really wasn't sure what to expect.   Good luck once again – I am crossing my fingers for you!

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn (stage IV, Florida )

dawn dion
                Participant

Thanks for the info – That makes me feel a better – I had heard it took a few days for the effects to kick in but really wasn't sure what to expect.   Good luck once again – I am crossing my fingers for you!

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn (stage IV, Florida )

Bugandi
                  Participant

Hi Dawn, the first 3-4 weeks were good.  Towards the end of week 4 is when my side effects started, and were at the worst at week 6.  they are better now, but I started taking pain meds at week 6 too.  Hope that helps.  will be discussing with doctor on Thursday as well.

B

dawn dion
                  Participant

Good luck to you – when did your side effects start?  I started the GSK BRAF/Mek trial on 3/3 so far I haven't had any side effects.   Keep us posted.

Dawn (Stage IV, Florida)

KellieSue
                    Participant

Good luck on your scans. Hoping super happy positive NED thoughts for you. 😀

I've been on B-RAF for a week and a half now and aside from a bit of diarhhea I haven't had any side effects. Thanks for the heads-up about what may be coming(I know everyone is different.)

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV on B-RAF

KellieSue
                      Participant

Good luck on your scans. Hoping super happy positive NED thoughts for you. 😀

I've been on B-RAF for a week and a half now and aside from a bit of diarhhea I haven't had any side effects. Thanks for the heads-up about what may be coming(I know everyone is different.)

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV on B-RAF

Lisa – Aust
                        Participant

Hi

My partner Craig started the GSK BRAF/MEK trial about 4 weeks ago and his sympts have subsided as time has gone on. He had very sensitive hands and feet and quite bad joint pain. The joint pain is still happening but overall the sympts have reduced. Are you on the phase III trial? We were told that Craig was the first in the world on this particular trial – i wonder how they are different? I guess there are lots going on!

All the very best for your scan – Craig will be scanned at 6 weeks, hopefully its good news for both of you.

Lisa

killmel
                            Participant

Hi Lisa,

Is Craig on a GSK Braf/Mek trial that is PHASE 3??? Can you provide the clinical trial gov. link or the NCT number. I would like to read about Craig's trial.

Thanks,

Wendy

Lisa – Aust
                              Participant

Hi Wendy,

Yeah Craigs trial is phase III, the title is:

"A Phase III Randomised, Open-label Study Comparing GSK2118436 to DTIC in Previously Untreated Subjects with BRAF Mutation Positive Advanced (Stage III) or Metastatic (Stage IV) Melanoma. GSK Protocol: BRF113683

We are at Sir Charles Gairdiner Hospital in Perth

It doesnt mention the MEK part but the onco nurse seemed to think it was? Not sure if the 'B-RAF' term includes MEK ?  

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Lisa – Aust
                                Participant

Hi Wendy,

Yeah Craigs trial is phase III, the title is:

"A Phase III Randomised, Open-label Study Comparing GSK2118436 to DTIC in Previously Untreated Subjects with BRAF Mutation Positive Advanced (Stage III) or Metastatic (Stage IV) Melanoma. GSK Protocol: BRF113683

We are at Sir Charles Gairdiner Hospital in Perth

It doesnt mention the MEK part but the onco nurse seemed to think it was? Not sure if the 'B-RAF' term includes MEK ?  

Hope this helps!

Lisa

killmel
                                  Participant

Hi Lisa,

Is Craig on a GSK Braf/Mek trial that is PHASE 3??? Can you provide the clinical trial gov. link or the NCT number. I would like to read about Craig's trial.

Thanks,

Wendy

Lisa – Aust
                                  Participant

Hi

My partner Craig started the GSK BRAF/MEK trial about 4 weeks ago and his sympts have subsided as time has gone on. He had very sensitive hands and feet and quite bad joint pain. The joint pain is still happening but overall the sympts have reduced. Are you on the phase III trial? We were told that Craig was the first in the world on this particular trial – i wonder how they are different? I guess there are lots going on!

All the very best for your scan – Craig will be scanned at 6 weeks, hopefully its good news for both of you.

Lisa

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics