The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF/Meck Combo – When did your side effects start?

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF/Meck Combo – When did your side effects start?

Participant

Hi,

Can anyone tell me when their sided effects started and what they were?  This may be the next step and finding out how soon and what to generally expect would be a great help to me.

Thanks!

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

I've been on the combo since August 2013.  The combo took me from a heavy tumor burden and bleak prognosis to a much more modest tumor burden.  For me, thankfully, the side effects have been very minor (particularly relative to the benefit).  Occasional joint pain, occasional acne.  The side effect that the doctors are most concerned about is high grade fever.

Mat
          Participant

I've been on the combo since August 2013.  The combo took me from a heavy tumor burden and bleak prognosis to a much more modest tumor burden.  For me, thankfully, the side effects have been very minor (particularly relative to the benefit).  Occasional joint pain, occasional acne.  The side effect that the doctors are most concerned about is high grade fever.

Mat
            Participant

ecc26
              Participant

Side effects and when they start are really variable from person to person. I've been on the combo since December and really have had very few side effects. I had none for at least the first 2 months. I had extra dry skin and some acne, but some of that may have been dry winter air. More recently (last 2 months or so) I've had some very minor folliculitis (body acne) on the backs of my legs (dont' ask me why there and not other areas, I have no idea). That is diminishing at this point as well. Otherwise, really nothing.

ecc26
                Participant

Side effects and when they start are really variable from person to person. I've been on the combo since December and really have had very few side effects. I had none for at least the first 2 months. I had extra dry skin and some acne, but some of that may have been dry winter air. More recently (last 2 months or so) I've had some very minor folliculitis (body acne) on the backs of my legs (dont' ask me why there and not other areas, I have no idea). That is diminishing at this point as well. Otherwise, really nothing.

ecc26
                  Participant

tcell
                    Participant

Hi,

taking the combo since February. I started with Dabrafenib as single drug for a few days while waiting for the other to arrive. The first day I had high fevers and nothing since then.

The onc told me that fevers may mean that you respond well to the drug as your immune system reacts to it.

When I say nothing I mean that I do not know when I am just tired at night after work if this might be worse than normal due to the drug. So nothing that I could really attribute to it.

WIth the tumor burden I had in February when I was dx I would probably not be here anymore without the combo.

So I would say getting these drugs is something to look forward to, not so much to be afraid of. Do not read the list of possible side effects to thoruoghly and worry about whtat could happen to you! My feeling is that the more you are afraid of things, the more likely they occur (just my theory).

tcell
                      Participant

Hi,

taking the combo since February. I started with Dabrafenib as single drug for a few days while waiting for the other to arrive. The first day I had high fevers and nothing since then.

The onc told me that fevers may mean that you respond well to the drug as your immune system reacts to it.

When I say nothing I mean that I do not know when I am just tired at night after work if this might be worse than normal due to the drug. So nothing that I could really attribute to it.

WIth the tumor burden I had in February when I was dx I would probably not be here anymore without the combo.

So I would say getting these drugs is something to look forward to, not so much to be afraid of. Do not read the list of possible side effects to thoruoghly and worry about whtat could happen to you! My feeling is that the more you are afraid of things, the more likely they occur (just my theory).

tcell
                        Participant

Hi,

Nadia
                          Participant

My husband is taking Dabrafenib only, he started 6 days ago, and the side effects started within hours of him taking the first dose.  He has joint pain, lower back pain, his blood pressure is low (100/80 and he is normally taking drugs for high blood pressure), elevated heart rate (95-105, while before is was around 60), cough, headaches, the sole of his feet are tender and hurt when he's walking.  Also, his face appeared to be flushed, but no fever. The one that really bothers him is the lower back pain, which he describes as thightening muscles (and he's taking Robaxacet) everything else is manageable and they come and go. 

Nadia
                            Participant

My husband is taking Dabrafenib only, he started 6 days ago, and the side effects started within hours of him taking the first dose.  He has joint pain, lower back pain, his blood pressure is low (100/80 and he is normally taking drugs for high blood pressure), elevated heart rate (95-105, while before is was around 60), cough, headaches, the sole of his feet are tender and hurt when he's walking.  Also, his face appeared to be flushed, but no fever. The one that really bothers him is the lower back pain, which he describes as thightening muscles (and he's taking Robaxacet) everything else is manageable and they come and go. 

Nadia
                              Participant

ecc26
                                  Participant

The side effects for most people are less on the combo than on only one of the drugs. That being said, everyone reacts differently, so until you actually start taking them you aren't really going to know how your body is going to react. i know there are some who started 1 medication for a few days first, then added the second. I started both on the same day and I know others have as well, I've never seen anything suggesting that staggering the start is necessary or benefical, but I know some had to wait a few days to get the MEK inhibitor as well, which delayed the start of that drug. One other important note: as with most other melanoma therapies, the presence, absence or severity of side effects really doesn't have anything to do with if, how well, or how long they'll work. Like I said, everyone's different, the important thing is to report side effects if and when you get them to your doctor so they can help you manage them.

ecc26
                                    Participant

The side effects for most people are less on the combo than on only one of the drugs. That being said, everyone reacts differently, so until you actually start taking them you aren't really going to know how your body is going to react. i know there are some who started 1 medication for a few days first, then added the second. I started both on the same day and I know others have as well, I've never seen anything suggesting that staggering the start is necessary or benefical, but I know some had to wait a few days to get the MEK inhibitor as well, which delayed the start of that drug. One other important note: as with most other melanoma therapies, the presence, absence or severity of side effects really doesn't have anything to do with if, how well, or how long they'll work. Like I said, everyone's different, the important thing is to report side effects if and when you get them to your doctor so they can help you manage them.

ecc26
                                      Participant

paul
                                      Participant

Hello.

I've been on this drug for six weeks. 

Had joint pains, swelling of feet, folliculitis in legs from second week, some fevers. Nothing that prevented me working full-time. It's different for each person, but I've found this drug easier to tolerate than Zelboraf on its own so far. 

All the best,

Paul

paul
                                        Participant

Hello.

Had joint pains, swelling of feet, folliculitis in legs from second week, some fevers. Nothing that prevented me working full-time. It's different for each person, but I've found this drug easier to tolerate than Zelboraf on its own so far. 

All the best,

Paul

paul
                                          Participant

Hello.

All the best,

Paul

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics