The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF Inhibitors and hair loss

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF Inhibitors and hair loss

Participant

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what others taking either the GSK or Roche BRAF inhibitor are finding in relation to hair loss – I am in week 14 of taking Dabrafenib, and in the last couple of weeks I have really started shedding a lot of hair, luckily I started with very thick hair but I am wondering where this might end up. Talking with a friend yesterday, she suggested that if I had some idea I was going to have complete or near complete hair loss I could start getting a wig made now, I hadn't thought about that.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what others taking either the GSK or Roche BRAF inhibitor are finding in relation to hair loss – I am in week 14 of taking Dabrafenib, and in the last couple of weeks I have really started shedding a lot of hair, luckily I started with very thick hair but I am wondering where this might end up. Talking with a friend yesterday, she suggested that if I had some idea I was going to have complete or near complete hair loss I could start getting a wig made now, I hadn't thought about that.

I know this might seem like a pretty superficical concern in the context of what everyone here is going through, but if you have any experiences you are prepared to share I would be grateful.

Best wishes to everyone

Ally

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Hi Ally,

My dad's full head of hair went to very thin on Vemurafenib a BRAF inhibitor. Honestly I would say that it sounds like you are going to loose a lot too. It's an all over even loss if that makes sense.

I'm speaking from my father's experience and I thought it made him look sicker than he really was.

He did loose all his eyebrows and body hair which didn't help.

That's really the only bonus for a female….no more shaving needed.

Hope that gives you some insight Ally,

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
          Participant

Hi Ally,

My dad's full head of hair went to very thin on Vemurafenib a BRAF inhibitor. Honestly I would say that it sounds like you are going to loose a lot too. It's an all over even loss if that makes sense.

I'm speaking from my father's experience and I thought it made him look sicker than he really was.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
            Participant

Hi Ally,

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

awillett1991
              Participant
                Ally,

I’ve been on Zel since April and starting losing hair all over in June. Eyebrow hairs are in the single digits and gobs come out when I shampoo. I had a ton of thick, long hair (am only 42), but it STILL just doesn’t seem to be slowing down or stopping thinning. It has receded quite a bit and looks so thin, so that when I looked in the mirror last week I saw a cancer patient – hated that. Last 2 mos I have washed it less, and even got a powder shampoo to try to eke more time out. I did some research here and talked to folks and found a charity where I could get a wig for free. My kids and hubby say I look younger in it and I’m getting used to it. Also getting good with the eyebrow makeup. I feel better knowing I look better and had SOMETHING I could take control of!! Also got a couple of hats & scarves. Take care.

Amy

awillett1991
                Participant
                  Ally,

I’ve been on Zel since April and starting losing hair all over in June. Eyebrow hairs are in the single digits and gobs come out when I shampoo. I had a ton of thick, long hair (am only 42), but it STILL just doesn’t seem to be slowing down or stopping thinning. It has receded quite a bit and looks so thin, so that when I looked in the mirror last week I saw a cancer patient – hated that. Last 2 mos I have washed it less, and even got a powder shampoo to try to eke more time out. I did some research here and talked to folks and found a charity where I could get a wig for free. My kids and hubby say I look younger in it and I’m getting used to it. Also getting good with the eyebrow makeup. I feel better knowing I look better and had SOMETHING I could take control of!! Also got a couple of hats & scarves. Take care.

Amy

awillett1991
                  Participant
                    Ally,

Amy

AllyNTAus
                    Participant
                      Thanks Nahmi and Amy.

I’m only 42 as well, ans have always been very proud of my hair -I’m just trying to approach it by thinking that if hair loss is the worst side effect that happens to me it is worth it as long as the drug keeps working. I have noticed a reduction in other body hair too, that is at least some upside as you say.

I will talk to our local Cancer Council women’s cancer nurse, I know they provide some support with things like wigs should one be needed.

Nahmi I’ve been following your updates on your dad, so sorry to hear things are not going well, so double thanks for taking time out to reply.
                      Ally

AllyNTAus
                      Participant
                        Thanks Nahmi and Amy.

I’m only 42 as well, ans have always been very proud of my hair -I’m just trying to approach it by thinking that if hair loss is the worst side effect that happens to me it is worth it as long as the drug keeps working. I have noticed a reduction in other body hair too, that is at least some upside as you say.

I will talk to our local Cancer Council women’s cancer nurse, I know they provide some support with things like wigs should one be needed.

Nahmi I’ve been following your updates on your dad, so sorry to hear things are not going well, so double thanks for taking time out to reply.
                        Ally

AllyNTAus
                        Participant
                          Thanks Nahmi and Amy.

Ally

Richard_K
                          Participant

Ally

I’m afraid I am a bit of an anomaly so my experience may not be all that helpful.  I did lose all of my body hair while on Zelboraf.  (I might have lost some on my head but it was already thinning and so it’s hard to tell.)  Also, I never lost my eyebrows.  Today most body parts have hair again except for the arm pits.  Hair that did grow back is very thin and the hair on my head did change texture.

Dick

Richard_K
                            Participant

Ally

I’m afraid I am a bit of an anomaly so my experience may not be all that helpful.  I did lose all of my body hair while on Zelboraf.  (I might have lost some on my head but it was already thinning and so it’s hard to tell.)  Also, I never lost my eyebrows.  Today most body parts have hair again except for the arm pits.  Hair that did grow back is very thin and the hair on my head did change texture.

Dick

Richard_K
                              Participant

Ally

Dick

Tina D
                                Participant

Aly,

I am on Venurafenib and have lost abt 90% of the hair on my head, and most of my body hair ( the hair on my legs persists in growing, ha). No eyebrows, very thin eyelashes. Went wig shopping and found a very nice one. Here with a prescription, insurance companies will cover at least part. Also some soft caps to wear around the house. The wig has bangs, so I dont draw on eyebrows too often ๐Ÿ™‚

Tina

Tina D
                                  Participant

Aly,

I am on Venurafenib and have lost abt 90% of the hair on my head, and most of my body hair ( the hair on my legs persists in growing, ha). No eyebrows, very thin eyelashes. Went wig shopping and found a very nice one. Here with a prescription, insurance companies will cover at least part. Also some soft caps to wear around the house. The wig has bangs, so I dont draw on eyebrows too often ๐Ÿ™‚

Tina

Tina D
                                    Participant

Aly,

Tina

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics