The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF gentiec testing

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF gentiec testing

Participant

Hi

I just got a voice my from teh billign depatment at the hospital my onoclogist is at that implies that insucne will not cover this testing and it may be $5000. I was wonderign what other people have learned? Did you have the testing and if so did your insuance cover all or a portion of it

Thank you

Nancy

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        youngann
        Participant

Hi Nancy. I had no idea that BRAF testing was being done on my tumor until I received a bill for $38,000. I also received a letter stating that, since my insurance wouldn't cover it, I was responsible for the whole amount.

My advice is to have your doctor call your insurance and explain that this is a much needed test – see if that helps.

Good luck,

Ann

J.bun
          Participant

I know every insurance plan is different, but so much in the medical care system comes down to diagnostic codes – and those codes can deem if insurance approves or not. Perhaps you can find out more from insurance, but many office staff are familiar with this and perhaps can update and resubmit the bill/claim?

I just went through this with my surgery (20k+) and it was a clerical error. 

J.bun
            Participant

I know every insurance plan is different, but so much in the medical care system comes down to diagnostic codes – and those codes can deem if insurance approves or not. Perhaps you can find out more from insurance, but many office staff are familiar with this and perhaps can update and resubmit the bill/claim?

I just went through this with my surgery (20k+) and it was a clerical error. 

Toby0987
                Participant

Just a thought-do you really need to get it done? I don't think it is necessary if you are not going to take certain pharmaceuticals. That is:  you may not need the genetic test if the treatment doesn't depend on whether you are BRAF pos or not. If the treatment does depend on your genetic test then it would be worth to have the onc type/dictate a short memo explaining that. 

TexMelanomex
                Participant

Mine was covered in full by insurance (United Healthcare), and I also did not know it was happening until I saw the test results. I think I might try to make the argument with the hospital and insurance company to play with the billing and procedure (CPT) codes and see if they can get the insurance to cover it or cover most of it. You may never need it, but if you do need the information I'd hate to be staring down that bill also. Just my two cents worth.

Tex

MovingOn
                  Participant

I had something similar happen. There was a mistake in the way it was billed to insurance. Instead of resubmitting it to insurance the genetics testing company sent me a bill saying “insurance has paid what they are going to and you are responsible for _____$”

I then called insurance and they gave me the details to provide to the genetics testing company.

SDFun
                      Participant

Thank you al. the Billing cleric said she would work with me and my doctor. i need teh testing becasue teh only treatment i can take right now is teh one for the VRAF tumers becasue i have chronos. We decied that we may need to resubmit with an explainition but review precudreis prety qucik and the hosptial said they will wait while it is under review is necessary

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics