The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Braf Gene mutation

Forums General Melanoma Community Braf Gene mutation

Participant
      If I have it does that mean I will be fighting new melanomas all the time ?
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

No!  Here is a post whose first part may help explain what having BRAF positive melanoma means – http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Perhaps that will help a bit.  Best wishes – c

Bubbles
          Participant

No!  Here is a post whose first part may help explain what having BRAF positive melanoma means – http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

Rosegargala
              Participant
                Thanks so much C !!! Wow you sure know how to make me feel better!!! You’re such an inspiration!!!!
                Rosegargala
                Participant
                  Thanks so much C !!! Wow you sure know how to make me feel better!!! You’re such an inspiration!!!!
                  Rosegargala
                  Participant
                    Rosegargala
                    Participant
                      Anxiety is hitting me hard today!!!
                      Rosegargala
                      Participant
                        Rosegargala
                        Participant
                        Bubbles
                        Participant

sweetaugust
                          Participant

Thank you Celeste, for trying to make it easy for us all to understand.  But I still have confusion about my NRAS mutation.  I had seen everyone on here talking about BRAF positive or negative for so long, so I finally asked my doctors if I were BRAF positive or negative.  And they said actually I am wild type with an NRAS mutation.  So I was thrown at that point and didn't really know what to ask from there.  They just mentioned that the NRAS mutation is a bit tougher to treat and that they are working on treatments for it now.  I have forgotten to ask them more questions about that….like….does that mean my melanoma is more aggressive and harder to treat?  Does that mean that the Keytruda has a harder battle to fight to keep me clear and stable and winning this battle?  These are the questions I need to ask to be better informed on my options.  Thanks so much, Laurie

sweetaugust
                            Participant

Thank you Celeste, for trying to make it easy for us all to understand.  But I still have confusion about my NRAS mutation.  I had seen everyone on here talking about BRAF positive or negative for so long, so I finally asked my doctors if I were BRAF positive or negative.  And they said actually I am wild type with an NRAS mutation.  So I was thrown at that point and didn't really know what to ask from there.  They just mentioned that the NRAS mutation is a bit tougher to treat and that they are working on treatments for it now.  I have forgotten to ask them more questions about that….like….does that mean my melanoma is more aggressive and harder to treat?  Does that mean that the Keytruda has a harder battle to fight to keep me clear and stable and winning this battle?  These are the questions I need to ask to be better informed on my options.  Thanks so much, Laurie

sweetaugust
                              Participant

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Laurie,

NRAS is just another melanoma mutation.  Folks who are BRAF positive, negative, NRAS positive or negative…seem to be responding equally to the anti-PD1 drugs and ipi (Yervoy).  These various mutations do no better and no worse in their response rates to immunotherapies.  BRAF inhibitors, however, only work well for BRAF positive mutations.  However, MEK inhibitors and some other targeted drugs are helping NRAS patients.

Here is a post from my blog that might help:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-news-for-mek-and-brafmek-combos.html

In this interview Weber and Ribas discuss various therapies:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/pretty-darn-impressivea-chat-between.html

Particularly this in regard to NRAS targeted therapy:

Targeted therapies
                                    Weber:  "I was very impressed with Sosman's presentation of the CDK-4 inhibitor combined with the MEK inhibitor 162…a 33% response rate,phase 1 study with only 22 patients….Nonetheless, the NRAS-mutated population – which are BRAF wild-type because the 2 mutations are mutually exclusive – was a relatively hopeless cohort in terms of targeted therapy, and now it looks like there will be a useful and efficacious targeted therapy for at least 15% of melanoma patients who are NRAS-mutated BRAF wild-type."

There is also this link that might be helpful:  http://www.cancercommons.org/2013/07/17/targeting-nras-mutations-in-melanoma/

Hope that helps.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Laurie,

NRAS is just another melanoma mutation.  Folks who are BRAF positive, negative, NRAS positive or negative…seem to be responding equally to the anti-PD1 drugs and ipi (Yervoy).  These various mutations do no better and no worse in their response rates to immunotherapies.  BRAF inhibitors, however, only work well for BRAF positive mutations.  However, MEK inhibitors and some other targeted drugs are helping NRAS patients.

Here is a post from my blog that might help:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-news-for-mek-and-brafmek-combos.html

In this interview Weber and Ribas discuss various therapies:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/pretty-darn-impressivea-chat-between.html

Targeted therapies
                                      Weber:  "I was very impressed with Sosman's presentation of the CDK-4 inhibitor combined with the MEK inhibitor 162…a 33% response rate,phase 1 study with only 22 patients….Nonetheless, the NRAS-mutated population – which are BRAF wild-type because the 2 mutations are mutually exclusive – was a relatively hopeless cohort in terms of targeted therapy, and now it looks like there will be a useful and efficacious targeted therapy for at least 15% of melanoma patients who are NRAS-mutated BRAF wild-type."

There is also this link that might be helpful:  http://www.cancercommons.org/2013/07/17/targeting-nras-mutations-in-melanoma/

sweetaugust
                                      Participant

Thanks so much Celeste, for taking the time to try and help.  It's good to hear that having the NRAS mutation is no better or worse a diagnosis.  My brain is always thinking…and I am always wondering if and when I should come off of the trial…because how much is too much and would it be healthier for my body to come off of it for a bit…or is it better to stay on it?? 

Even though I am totally healthy and feel great right now…these are still the questions I ask myself every single day.

Thanks so much, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                        Participant

Thanks so much Celeste, for taking the time to try and help.  It's good to hear that having the NRAS mutation is no better or worse a diagnosis.  My brain is always thinking…and I am always wondering if and when I should come off of the trial…because how much is too much and would it be healthier for my body to come off of it for a bit…or is it better to stay on it?? 

Even though I am totally healthy and feel great right now…these are still the questions I ask myself every single day.

Thanks so much, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                          Participant

Thanks so much, Laurie

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Laurie,

Targeted therapies

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics