The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Braf

Participant
      Hi there,
      If you are Braf positive and starting Braf meds let me know:)

Love and prayers to all on this road!

Kerri
      Mom of Jake

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          This reply has been marked as private.
          gopher38
          Participant
            Speaking of BRAF, my mother gave me a magazine from MSK which covers some of the things going on there. One article was pretty interesting (at least for me; maybe old news for others). It was specifically about BRAF mutations and the effect that location on the body can have on its development … or not. I don’t have the article here, but I think they were working with some type of small fish (tiger? zebra?) that has some similarities to humans (and is probably easy to manipulate in the lab). They took cells in which they had introduced the BRAF mutation and inserted them into the back and fins (which correspond to the hands on humans). Melanoma developed in the back, but never in the fins. So it’s not just the mutation you have, but where you have the mutation, which determines (at least in part) if it becomes melanoma. I thought it was interesting at any rate. I think it appeared in Nature, so I guess a lot of people found it interesting. Always good to hear that they’re learning more about the enemy.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics