The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF

Participant

Hi, can someone explain BRAF mutation to me where I can understand . I had the BRAF and it came back negative. What does this mean for me?

Hi, can someone explain BRAF mutation to me where I can understand . I had the BRAF and it came back negative. What does this mean for me?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Some Melanoma tumors (50%) grow using the BRAF pathway. This pathway allow the tumor to survive and proliferate.

Since you don't have the BRAF mutation, the melanoma is using a different pathway to survive and proliferate. This means that the BRAF therapy will not work with your tumor type.

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Some Melanoma tumors (50%) grow using the BRAF pathway. This pathway allow the tumor to survive and proliferate.

Since you don't have the BRAF mutation, the melanoma is using a different pathway to survive and proliferate. This means that the BRAF therapy will not work with your tumor type.

washoegal
            Participant

The BRAF protein is a key component of the cellular pathways and may become mutated and cause tumor growth.  New BRAF therapies target this mutation to eliminate tumor progression

You had the tumor tested for BRAF and it came back negative.  That means that those therapies that target the BRAF protien would not work for you.  There are still many therapies available to you, Yervoy/Ipi being the newest one approved by the FDA.

Mary

Stage 3

vickykay
                Participant

Thanks so much, this helps alot.

vickykay
                  Participant

Thanks so much, this helps alot.

washoegal
                  Participant

The BRAF protein is a key component of the cellular pathways and may become mutated and cause tumor growth.  New BRAF therapies target this mutation to eliminate tumor progression

You had the tumor tested for BRAF and it came back negative.  That means that those therapies that target the BRAF protien would not work for you.  There are still many therapies available to you, Yervoy/Ipi being the newest one approved by the FDA.

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics