The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Boosting immunity post-surgery?

Forums General Melanoma Community Boosting immunity post-surgery?

Participant

Hi there,

I was diagnosed stage 3a in May and had the lymph node dissection in early June. I decided against Interferon and am going with the wait and watch for now.

The problem is that my immune system seems unable to stand up to anything! I'll admit that I have an 11-month old in daycare and he brings home lots of germs, but before the two surgeries earlier this year, I was able to avoid getting the colds and other bugs he brought home.

Has anyone had anything similar to this happen? Are there things that I can do to strengthen my immune system other that the typical things like getting sleep, eating well, exercising, etc. I do as much of that as I can, but it doesn't seem to do much good. I know my body went through quite a trauma and I may just need some time to heal. But I'm impatient and need to chase an almost toddler and figured someone else might have ideas to share.

Thanks so much!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        democat
        Participant

I don't pretend to be an expert on any of this, but I did a lot of reading and research about boosting my immune system, after my lymph node disection and diagnosis of stage 3a/3b in January 2012. Like you, I decided not to do interferon or biochemo.  I take a lot of supplements, including fish oil (to boost omega 3), vitamin D3 (I demanded to be tested, and I was very low, as are most people these days), and curcumin (turmeric, which is an anti-inflamatory). I also get my flu shot every year. I eat healthy whole foods and avoid everything in a box or bag.. I haven't had a real cold or flu in the last 1 1/2 years.  I sometimes feel a little under the weather, but seem to fight it off before it turns into anything. So far, I'm still NED.

Best of luck to you!  An 11-month-old requires lots of stamina!

Roxanne

nlavine925
            Participant

Roxanne,

Thanks so much for the response. I'm looking into other vitamins beyond the regular multi-vitamin that I take now. I'll keep the ones that you mentioned in mind.

Thanks again!

nlavine925
              Participant

Roxanne,

Thanks so much for the response. I'm looking into other vitamins beyond the regular multi-vitamin that I take now. I'll keep the ones that you mentioned in mind.

Thanks again!

nlavine925
                Participant

Roxanne,

Thanks again!

democat
                Participant

I don't pretend to be an expert on any of this, but I did a lot of reading and research about boosting my immune system, after my lymph node disection and diagnosis of stage 3a/3b in January 2012. Like you, I decided not to do interferon or biochemo.  I take a lot of supplements, including fish oil (to boost omega 3), vitamin D3 (I demanded to be tested, and I was very low, as are most people these days), and curcumin (turmeric, which is an anti-inflamatory). I also get my flu shot every year. I eat healthy whole foods and avoid everything in a box or bag.. I haven't had a real cold or flu in the last 1 1/2 years.  I sometimes feel a little under the weather, but seem to fight it off before it turns into anything. So far, I'm still NED.

Roxanne

democat
                  Participant

Roxanne

ed williams
                    Participant

Hi there nlavine 925, hey that sounds like a name from some movie character based in the future. I think you answered your own question in the 2nd paragraph, baby = germs + daycare = lots of germs. In our house we still like to call day care, " the land of the runny nose." Best of luck being stage 3a, looking back I wish that I had made the same choice of not doing Interferon. The stuff kicked the crap right out of me!!!! Ed

nlavine925
                        Participant

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the response. Day care is definitely the land of the runny nose! There just seemed to be a marked difference between what I was able to fight off before the surgeries and after. It may be just a coincidence and I'm just looking for a scapegoat πŸ™‚

It took me a loooooong time to make the Interferon decision. I read lots of posts on here and saw a couple of doctors and in the end decided that the side effects outweighed the benefits. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to you, too!

nlavine925
                          Participant

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the response. Day care is definitely the land of the runny nose! There just seemed to be a marked difference between what I was able to fight off before the surgeries and after. It may be just a coincidence and I'm just looking for a scapegoat πŸ™‚

It took me a loooooong time to make the Interferon decision. I read lots of posts on here and saw a couple of doctors and in the end decided that the side effects outweighed the benefits. Fingers crossed.

nlavine925
                            Participant

Hi Ed,

ed williams
                            Participant

Hi there nlavine 925, hey that sounds like a name from some movie character based in the future. I think you answered your own question in the 2nd paragraph, baby = germs + daycare = lots of germs. In our house we still like to call day care, " the land of the runny nose." Best of luck being stage 3a, looking back I wish that I had made the same choice of not doing Interferon. The stuff kicked the crap right out of me!!!! Ed

ed williams
                              Participant

Squash
                                Participant

Avemar is a great supplement for boosting immunity backed by a lot of research and especially good for melanoma. I would also add beta glucens, IP6 and mistletoe as good immune builders. As far as Interferon goes it should not even be put forward as a therapy anymore. 

nlavine925
                                    Participant

Thanks so much for the recommendations. This is great information!

nlavine925
                                      Participant

nlavine925
                                        Participant

rick1981
                                          Participant

Hi Squash, can you explain what beta glucens, IP6 do? And mistletoe, are there pills or are injections best? Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                            Participant

Hi Squash, can you explain what beta glucens, IP6 do? And mistletoe, are there pills or are injections best? Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                              Participant

Squash
                                                Participant

Mistletoe by injection 1gram. IP6 and Beta glucens have a lot of good research behind them. They are immune builders. If ;you can only afford one supplement thou buy Avemar because that has the most research and is better than the Ipi melanoma drug with no side effects. All onconlogists should be recommending it. 

Squash
                                                  Participant

Mistletoe by injection 1gram. IP6 and Beta glucens have a lot of good research behind them. They are immune builders. If ;you can only afford one supplement thou buy Avemar because that has the most research and is better than the Ipi melanoma drug with no side effects. All onconlogists should be recommending it. 

Squash
                                                    Participant

Squash
                                                    Participant

Avemar is a great supplement for boosting immunity backed by a lot of research and especially good for melanoma. I would also add beta glucens, IP6 and mistletoe as good immune builders. As far as Interferon goes it should not even be put forward as a therapy anymore. 

Squash
                                                      Participant

Lil0909
                                                        Participant

I have to be super careful about not getting sick because of low various blood counts due to treatment.  One bit of advice I didn't read above ….. Wash your hands frequently and ask those in your house to wash their hands frequently ( I know easier said than done with a baby!!!!). Don't share food/drinks. I cary around individually packed wet wipes so i can quickly de-germ myself or objects (plane arm rests, shopping carts, etc).  Also avoiding raw / unpasteurized foods…..These are more tips to help avoid getting exposed to any diseases as opposed to what you asked (building immune system to fight pathogens you encounter).   You can Google "immuno suppressed" or "low white blood count" to find more tips on avoiding disease exposure. 

Lil0909
                                                          Participant

I have to be super careful about not getting sick because of low various blood counts due to treatment.  One bit of advice I didn't read above ….. Wash your hands frequently and ask those in your house to wash their hands frequently ( I know easier said than done with a baby!!!!). Don't share food/drinks. I cary around individually packed wet wipes so i can quickly de-germ myself or objects (plane arm rests, shopping carts, etc).  Also avoiding raw / unpasteurized foods…..These are more tips to help avoid getting exposed to any diseases as opposed to what you asked (building immune system to fight pathogens you encounter).   You can Google "immuno suppressed" or "low white blood count" to find more tips on avoiding disease exposure. 

tschmith
                                                              Participant

I had to be very careful about not getting sick also after treatment at NIH.  (It wasn't TIL but was similar and my immune system was very compromised.)  Like Lilo909, NIH stressed washing your hands.  I'm a former second grade teacher and we would tell the kids to sing "Happy Birthday" two times while washing their hands with soap.  I know, it sounds goofy but they loved it.  Also, NIH instructed me to use paper towels to clean surfaces and things like clorox wipes. Throw your sponges away!  How does your blood work look?  Are you possibly anemic or on the borderline?  They encouraged me to eat lots of protein and choke down those nasty drinks like Boost.  I was very thin and needed to gain weight but Boost, Ensure, etc. provide you with a lot of nutrients.  I now prefer to make my own concoctions with spinach, Greek yogurt, almond butter, and a banana.  Feeling good these days. Getting infusions of Pembro now known as Keytruda.  I'm in a different boat…Stage IV, 59 and retired.  I don't have to chase an 11th month old around and also work.  I give you a ton of credit as this has to be very hard.  Best wishes.  Will keep you in my prayers!  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                Participant

I had to be very careful about not getting sick also after treatment at NIH.  (It wasn't TIL but was similar and my immune system was very compromised.)  Like Lilo909, NIH stressed washing your hands.  I'm a former second grade teacher and we would tell the kids to sing "Happy Birthday" two times while washing their hands with soap.  I know, it sounds goofy but they loved it.  Also, NIH instructed me to use paper towels to clean surfaces and things like clorox wipes. Throw your sponges away!  How does your blood work look?  Are you possibly anemic or on the borderline?  They encouraged me to eat lots of protein and choke down those nasty drinks like Boost.  I was very thin and needed to gain weight but Boost, Ensure, etc. provide you with a lot of nutrients.  I now prefer to make my own concoctions with spinach, Greek yogurt, almond butter, and a banana.  Feeling good these days. Getting infusions of Pembro now known as Keytruda.  I'm in a different boat…Stage IV, 59 and retired.  I don't have to chase an 11th month old around and also work.  I give you a ton of credit as this has to be very hard.  Best wishes.  Will keep you in my prayers!  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                  Participant

Terrie

nlavine925
                                                                    Participant

Thanks to both of you for the recommendations. I definitely have wet wipes (or at least baby wipes) on hand with me all the time, as well as hand sanitizer. Just had my first round of blood work and everything looks ok.

I hope you both keep doing well!

nlavine925
                                                                      Participant

Thanks to both of you for the recommendations. I definitely have wet wipes (or at least baby wipes) on hand with me all the time, as well as hand sanitizer. Just had my first round of blood work and everything looks ok.

nlavine925
                                                                        Participant

Lil0909
                                                                        Participant

rick1981
                                                                          Participant

Hi Nlavine925 πŸ™‚

I guess we're in a similar situation, with a 3-month old baby (our first) and my wife's a Stage IV melanoma patient – with the news coming during her pragnancy. The little one is at home, so we minimize the risk of germs – although that's not the reason she's not going to day care πŸ™‚

Couple of thoughts:

On supplements: my wife takes (co)Q10, Vitamin D3 (once a month, via our MD), Zyflamend/Zyflamax, Turmeric, Zinc & Magnesium (combo, only occasionally) and B12 (she's vegan), garlic and Resveratrol.

On food: we went fully vegan and largely organic. You get a lot of minerals & vitamins (vitamin C, selenium, etc) and other things that MAY be helpful against cancer via cruciferous vegetables such as Broccoli, Cauliflower and Kale. She also eats loads of fresh ginger, curcuma, garlic, onion, berries (blueberry, red currents, raspberries), adds spirulina and wheatgrass powder to her muesli or shakes, and uses flaxseed and cannabis oils for her salads.

On immunity: I actually posted something on MIF today because I had read that in some cases it's good that your body needs to fight of germs (of secondary diseases next to melanoma) and it may trigger a strong natural immune response. Not sure if there's any proof of this, but you hear some anecdotal evidence it may be.

Good luck!

Rick

Squash
                                                                              Participant

Great diet and good supplements Rick. It can only do good going on a health regime like that.

Have you investigated doing any electrotherapy as well?

It is highly recommended for melanoma.

Zapping and electrotherapy sound wild and way out but there is some good solid research behind these rife type therapies.

Squash
                                                                                Participant

Great diet and good supplements Rick. It can only do good going on a health regime like that.

Zapping and electrotherapy sound wild and way out but there is some good solid research behind these rife type therapies.

rick1981
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Squash, thanks for the tip. Bit scared though as I also read stories online where eclectrotherapy actually increased the tumor size…

Squash
                                                                                    Participant

The basis behind electrotherapy is to zap parasites in the body. The theory being that parasites are responsible for many diseases.

I use the Hilda Clark frequencies for zapping parasites and bob beck frequencies for purifying the blood.

If you check out some of the rife forums out there you can see the research papers on rifing and make up your own mind..

I monitor all my progress via a naturopath regularly who does live blood analysis and another computer program developed by Nasa that she hooks me up to and it basically does a full body scan on your health.

Bottom line for me is that i am healthier much healthier than when I was first diagnosed with mealanom a year or so ago.

Squash
                                                                                      Participant

The basis behind electrotherapy is to zap parasites in the body. The theory being that parasites are responsible for many diseases.

I use the Hilda Clark frequencies for zapping parasites and bob beck frequencies for purifying the blood.

If you check out some of the rife forums out there you can see the research papers on rifing and make up your own mind..

I monitor all my progress via a naturopath regularly who does live blood analysis and another computer program developed by Nasa that she hooks me up to and it basically does a full body scan on your health.

Bottom line for me is that i am healthier much healthier than when I was first diagnosed with mealanom a year or so ago.

Squash
                                                                                        Participant

rick1981
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Squash, thanks for the tip. Bit scared though as I also read stories online where eclectrotherapy actually increased the tumor size…

rick1981
                                                                                            Participant

Squash
                                                                                              Participant

nlavine925
                                                                                                Participant

Rick,

Thanks for the great information. I hope your little one is doing well. I found my guy to be a great distraction for the worst of the melanoma days! Babies definitely make your priorities shift a bit. I'm noting all of the supplements and vitamins and will take the list to my doctor. I have (unrelated) heart issues and like to double check everything before I move forward.

I realize that there's probably not, but please let me know if there's any way I can help you or your wife. This is definitely not what anyone expects for the first year of their child's life!

All the best!

nlavine925
                                                                                                  Participant

Rick,

Thanks for the great information. I hope your little one is doing well. I found my guy to be a great distraction for the worst of the melanoma days! Babies definitely make your priorities shift a bit. I'm noting all of the supplements and vitamins and will take the list to my doctor. I have (unrelated) heart issues and like to double check everything before I move forward.

I realize that there's probably not, but please let me know if there's any way I can help you or your wife. This is definitely not what anyone expects for the first year of their child's life!

All the best!

nlavine925
                                                                                                    Participant

Rick,

All the best!

rick1981
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi there,

Yes the baby girl is a HUGE distraction, keeps you busy, makes you happy and gives you loads of energy. Well less so for me as I try to let my wife rest as much as possible (full nights of sleep) πŸ™‚

She's doing fine, a bit worried about the melanoma being passed on to her but her placenta was "clean" and she seems to be doing really well, so that worry has mostly gone.

Let me know what your doctor thinks about the supplements. Our doctor says it's "a black box" so he sees no use in anything "alternative". We try anyhow…

And thanks for the offer… we're doing OK right now. My wife's still positive she'll beat this thing against all odds. How are you doing?

rick1981
                                                                                                        Participant

Hi there,

Yes the baby girl is a HUGE distraction, keeps you busy, makes you happy and gives you loads of energy. Well less so for me as I try to let my wife rest as much as possible (full nights of sleep) πŸ™‚

She's doing fine, a bit worried about the melanoma being passed on to her but her placenta was "clean" and she seems to be doing really well, so that worry has mostly gone.

Let me know what your doctor thinks about the supplements. Our doctor says it's "a black box" so he sees no use in anything "alternative". We try anyhow…

And thanks for the offer… we're doing OK right now. My wife's still positive she'll beat this thing against all odds. How are you doing?

rick1981
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi there,

rick1981
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Nlavine925 πŸ™‚

I guess we're in a similar situation, with a 3-month old baby (our first) and my wife's a Stage IV melanoma patient – with the news coming during her pragnancy. The little one is at home, so we minimize the risk of germs – although that's not the reason she's not going to day care πŸ™‚

Couple of thoughts:

On supplements: my wife takes (co)Q10, Vitamin D3 (once a month, via our MD), Zyflamend/Zyflamax, Turmeric, Zinc & Magnesium (combo, only occasionally) and B12 (she's vegan), garlic and Resveratrol.

On food: we went fully vegan and largely organic. You get a lot of minerals & vitamins (vitamin C, selenium, etc) and other things that MAY be helpful against cancer via cruciferous vegetables such as Broccoli, Cauliflower and Kale. She also eats loads of fresh ginger, curcuma, garlic, onion, berries (blueberry, red currents, raspberries), adds spirulina and wheatgrass powder to her muesli or shakes, and uses flaxseed and cannabis oils for her salads.

On immunity: I actually posted something on MIF today because I had read that in some cases it's good that your body needs to fight of germs (of secondary diseases next to melanoma) and it may trigger a strong natural immune response. Not sure if there's any proof of this, but you hear some anecdotal evidence it may be.

Good luck!

Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Nlavine925 πŸ™‚

Couple of thoughts:

Good luck!

Rick

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                              Participant

With a toddler you probably don't have a lot of time. The others have made great suggestions. What I would also do and am doing is these juices at the store. Like green machine, kale blazer, daily greens, daily roots, blue goodness and so forth. The brands are like naked and bolthouse and I'm sure there are many others. These say they have no preseratives or artificial flavors or colors and are 100% juice. Since you probably don't have time to juice yourself these seem like a pretty good thing. They are a little expensive but I think they are worth it. I drink about 1.5 to 2 bottles a day along with a couple bottles of water and a glass of almond milk and a glass of orange juice.

I'm on my 3rd round of radiation and 4th type of medicine and my white blood cells have never got very low. I think a 6 was my lowest. Quite the opposite they are usually close to the high mark around 8ish. I'm not sure if that is a good thing but I guess it is.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                Participant

With a toddler you probably don't have a lot of time. The others have made great suggestions. What I would also do and am doing is these juices at the store. Like green machine, kale blazer, daily greens, daily roots, blue goodness and so forth. The brands are like naked and bolthouse and I'm sure there are many others. These say they have no preseratives or artificial flavors or colors and are 100% juice. Since you probably don't have time to juice yourself these seem like a pretty good thing. They are a little expensive but I think they are worth it. I drink about 1.5 to 2 bottles a day along with a couple bottles of water and a glass of almond milk and a glass of orange juice.

I'm on my 3rd round of radiation and 4th type of medicine and my white blood cells have never got very low. I think a 6 was my lowest. Quite the opposite they are usually close to the high mark around 8ish. I'm not sure if that is a good thing but I guess it is.

Artie

nlavine925
                                                                                                                    Participant

Artie,

Thanks for the information. I drink some of the Naked juices but haven't tried bolthouse. I'll have to look for those. They are on the expensive side, but they're definitely worth it for the time they save. And we've always got OJ in the fridge for vitamin C!

I'll be thinking about you and hope that you keep doing well. Thanks again for the help!

nlavine925
                                                                                                                      Participant

Artie,

Thanks for the information. I drink some of the Naked juices but haven't tried bolthouse. I'll have to look for those. They are on the expensive side, but they're definitely worth it for the time they save. And we've always got OJ in the fridge for vitamin C!

I'll be thinking about you and hope that you keep doing well. Thanks again for the help!

nlavine925
                                                                                                                        Participant

Artie,

rick1981
                                                                                                                          Participant

We live in Europe but I do know these brands from trips to the US. The only thing I'd say is to check their sugar content. Cancer apparently feeds off sugar, so I've heard to try and maximize the veg content in smoothies (kale, broccoli, etc.) and limit the fruit content (especially sweet fruits like grapes, bananas and to a certain extent oranges).

rick1981
                                                                                                                            Participant

We live in Europe but I do know these brands from trips to the US. The only thing I'd say is to check their sugar content. Cancer apparently feeds off sugar, so I've heard to try and maximize the veg content in smoothies (kale, broccoli, etc.) and limit the fruit content (especially sweet fruits like grapes, bananas and to a certain extent oranges).

rick1981
                                                                                                                              Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                Participant

Rick makes good points.  I would only add that fresh juice is the best juice in terms of enzymes and nutrient value.  There are lots of Juice Bars popping up that serve up fresh cold pressed green juices (my town has three of them).  You can also buy a juicer to make your own.

Cheers – Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Rick makes good points.  I would only add that fresh juice is the best juice in terms of enzymes and nutrient value.  There are lots of Juice Bars popping up that serve up fresh cold pressed green juices (my town has three of them).  You can also buy a juicer to make your own.

Cheers – Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Cheers – Maggie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Artie

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics