The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone mets question

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone mets question

Participant

Does anyone have any experience of how bone mets present , particularly in the long bones of the arm ?

I've been having pain in my upper arm for two months, usually associated with movement. Thought it was a triceps strain brought on by swimming. But despite rest, ice, ibuprofen and physio the pain and discomfort persist. Deep tissue massage eases the pain but it returns within a day. Wondering if it could be a bone met as it's about 3 inches from a primary where I had a local recurrence excised last October. I'm stage 4a just started Keytruda.

Any thoughts ?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mms7angels1
        Participant

Hi there

I had a bone met in my left humerus that I too thought was muscular. It hurt when I carried anything of weight extended from my left side. I ended up falling and breaking the bone. Had to have a titanium rod implanted and then radiation to the met. Maybe talk to your doctor, when I had the arm xray, the orthopedist could tell that the fracture was due to an underlying condition. Hope that helps. 

Maureen

mms7angels1
          Participant

Hi there

I had a bone met in my left humerus that I too thought was muscular. It hurt when I carried anything of weight extended from my left side. I ended up falling and breaking the bone. Had to have a titanium rod implanted and then radiation to the met. Maybe talk to your doctor, when I had the arm xray, the orthopedist could tell that the fracture was due to an underlying condition. Hope that helps. 

Maureen

mms7angels1
            Participant

Hi there

Maureen

melj
                Participant

Thanks Maureen, helpful. I've just had an X-ray but won't get the results for a few days. Still hoping it's muscular but it's been going on too long.

Bennickliz
                  Participant

I had bone met in femur that started off as a bit of pain and progressed to extreme pain when walking(within a month). Did not hurt at rest. X-ray didn't show anything, had bone scan which showed spot and then MRI confirmed met. I thought it was muscular at first too. I would say if X-ray is clear and pain doesn't resolve to ask for bone scan. 

I had radiation and it took a few months to get better.  Good Luck!

melj
                    Participant

Thanks. Interesting that nothing showed on X-ray. Good to hear that radiation resolved it. I guess leg bone mets will be more painful because of being load bearing. If X-ray normal but pain persists I'll ask for bone scan. Good luck !

melj
                      Participant

Thanks. Interesting that nothing showed on X-ray. Good to hear that radiation resolved it. I guess leg bone mets will be more painful because of being load bearing. If X-ray normal but pain persists I'll ask for bone scan. Good luck !

melj
                        Participant

Bennickliz
                          Participant

I had bone met in femur that started off as a bit of pain and progressed to extreme pain when walking(within a month). Did not hurt at rest. X-ray didn't show anything, had bone scan which showed spot and then MRI confirmed met. I thought it was muscular at first too. I would say if X-ray is clear and pain doesn't resolve to ask for bone scan. 

Bennickliz
                            Participant

melj
                              Participant

Thanks Maureen, helpful. I've just had an X-ray but won't get the results for a few days. Still hoping it's muscular but it's been going on too long.

melj
                                Participant

Cynlee
                                Participant

Ok this may sound stupid but I'm only stage 1a from a spot on the top of my foot. The primary was about and inch or so from my big toe. I've been having pain in the joint and it feels as if the second toe joint is hurting also. It hurts to walk sometimes and at night. I really feel that my mobility is limited in the big toe joint. This has been going on for over two months. What's the chances of such a low stage going to the foot bones?  I should say also the spot on my foot came up from nothing to melanoma in less then 10 months. I thinking maybe I should get an X-ray but I don't want to look paranoid. 

Cynlee
                                  Participant

Ok this may sound stupid but I'm only stage 1a from a spot on the top of my foot. The primary was about and inch or so from my big toe. I've been having pain in the joint and it feels as if the second toe joint is hurting also. It hurts to walk sometimes and at night. I really feel that my mobility is limited in the big toe joint. This has been going on for over two months. What's the chances of such a low stage going to the foot bones?  I should say also the spot on my foot came up from nothing to melanoma in less then 10 months. I thinking maybe I should get an X-ray but I don't want to look paranoid. 

JuTMSY4
                                      Participant

Talk to your primary doc about it.  If you feel uncomfortable, pursue it.  If nothing else, doctors will help you figure out a way to resolve the pain issue (you may even be favoring it from the scar and causing your own issues).

That being said, most metastasis (most, not all) tends to go towards the center of the body.  Most people with bone mets tend to get them in the chest, spine, ribs, hips, etc.  That's not to say all do, it's just more common.

Bottom line is, talk to your doc about getting to the root of the issue – whatever it may be.  

JuTMSY4
                                        Participant

Talk to your primary doc about it.  If you feel uncomfortable, pursue it.  If nothing else, doctors will help you figure out a way to resolve the pain issue (you may even be favoring it from the scar and causing your own issues).

That being said, most metastasis (most, not all) tends to go towards the center of the body.  Most people with bone mets tend to get them in the chest, spine, ribs, hips, etc.  That's not to say all do, it's just more common.

Bottom line is, talk to your doc about getting to the root of the issue – whatever it may be.  

melj
                                          Participant

Great advice. I'll do that.

Mel J

melj
                                            Participant

Mel J

melj
                                              Participant

Mel J

JuTMSY4
                                                Participant

Cynlee
                                                Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics