The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone Mets And pain

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone Mets And pain

Participant

quick question…

hey everyone…various bone mets….Spine (few spots), bilateral humerus and bilateral femurs, pubic bone hips etc.

currently in between Chemo Treatments

switching from BRAF Combo to Yervoy in the next week.

I have pain in hips and legs and understand that pain from 

Has anyone had physical pain on the skin over or above a bone met?

I mean the outside of my shoulder/arm is burning….in a very small spot. But it is intense.

please let me know

Matt

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        RJoeyB
        Participant

Matt,

I've had several bone mets — half of my mets have probably been to bone, several in left tibia, one each in left and right femurs, and one in left proximal humerus, some treated with SBRT radiation, others with surgery (including a pretty major resection of my left shoulder), a couple with both (radiation and then eventual surgery).

Fortunately, I never had severe bone pain with any of the bone mets, although the first ones I had (in my left tibia) I noticed before they showed up on any scan — it wasn't pain per se, just a sensation that something wasn't right.  When they told me my humerus was down to 10% mass in one spot and they were worried I'd fracture it rolling over on it in my sleep, they were stunned that I wasn't hurting more.  It ached, but not to the extent that they would have expected.  Odd, but we're all different, so maybe I'm not a good example.  But personally, I don't recall any burning sensations in the skin or soft tissues above the mets.  It could depend on where in the bone the mets are located and the inflammatory response in nearby soft tissues, and perhaps the BRAF inhibitors are playing some role?

Joe

MattF
            Participant

Joe thanks.

good info. sounds like alot of stuff you have had done and a few things we have in common.

I have had not pain per se, but a sensation throughout my left leg for about 3 months…kind of feel like my muscle is stretched or thin or something….

I have what he said are small lesions on my hips, rib cage, L2, T5, T7, pubic bone, both femur and both humeri….generally speaking I'm sore and have night sweats pretty bad. something about shaking when you are cold can make you hurt worse the next day…..also having limited sleep. lol.

I'm off all treatment chemo until they get everything set up and sched for Yervoy.

So I guess it makes sense that I hurt like heck at the moment, but the outside burning sensation is very new. 

matt

shanemcdonald99
              Participant

Sounds like neuropathy or nerve pain brought on by Chemo .

My niece had similar pain after chemo treatments.

Thay have Gabapentin type drugs for that type of pain, but they make you very tired.

best wishes

shane

shanemcdonald99
                Participant

Thay have Gabapentin type drugs for that type of pain, but they make you very tired.

best wishes

shane

shanemcdonald99
                  Participant

best wishes

shane

MattF
                    Participant

Joe thanks.

good info. sounds like alot of stuff you have had done and a few things we have in common.

I have had not pain per se, but a sensation throughout my left leg for about 3 months…kind of feel like my muscle is stretched or thin or something….

I have what he said are small lesions on my hips, rib cage, L2, T5, T7, pubic bone, both femur and both humeri….generally speaking I'm sore and have night sweats pretty bad. something about shaking when you are cold can make you hurt worse the next day…..also having limited sleep. lol.

I'm off all treatment chemo until they get everything set up and sched for Yervoy.

So I guess it makes sense that I hurt like heck at the moment, but the outside burning sensation is very new. 

matt

MattF
                      Participant

Joe thanks.

matt

RJoeyB
                      Participant

Matt,

I've had several bone mets — half of my mets have probably been to bone, several in left tibia, one each in left and right femurs, and one in left proximal humerus, some treated with SBRT radiation, others with surgery (including a pretty major resection of my left shoulder), a couple with both (radiation and then eventual surgery).

Fortunately, I never had severe bone pain with any of the bone mets, although the first ones I had (in my left tibia) I noticed before they showed up on any scan — it wasn't pain per se, just a sensation that something wasn't right.  When they told me my humerus was down to 10% mass in one spot and they were worried I'd fracture it rolling over on it in my sleep, they were stunned that I wasn't hurting more.  It ached, but not to the extent that they would have expected.  Odd, but we're all different, so maybe I'm not a good example.  But personally, I don't recall any burning sensations in the skin or soft tissues above the mets.  It could depend on where in the bone the mets are located and the inflammatory response in nearby soft tissues, and perhaps the BRAF inhibitors are playing some role?

Joe

RJoeyB
                        Participant

Matt,

Joe

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics