The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Body photography info?

Forums General Melanoma Community Body photography info?

Participant

Hi, I have an appt scheduled next Monday for body photography. Of course I am very hesitant! Has anyone had this done here? Will I be completely without clothes? Of course my recent WLE area is above my left breast:/ I am very nervous, mostly embarrassed.  Hate to say this is one of the main reasons I avoided full body checkups at my derm…only went for problem visits…which led me to my current situation (had suspicious tiny black "freckle" looked at which was a melanoma in situ). I have a million freckles and moles. Plus a strong history of basal cells.

thank you for any info or suggestions you may have!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aloha14
        Participant

I've never had body photography but I'm going in for a whole body skin check up soon and will ask about it. I also have a million freckles and moles and there's no way I can keep track of all of it. I wonder if the photography is being done by the dermatologist and a nurse if the dermatologist is a male? I can understand why you would be uncomfortable with the photography but it's sure seems worth it to identify potential areas of concern early. Let us know how it goes. 

Aloha14
          Participant

I've never had body photography but I'm going in for a whole body skin check up soon and will ask about it. I also have a million freckles and moles and there's no way I can keep track of all of it. I wonder if the photography is being done by the dermatologist and a nurse if the dermatologist is a male? I can understand why you would be uncomfortable with the photography but it's sure seems worth it to identify potential areas of concern early. Let us know how it goes. 

Michelle820
              Participant

I believe (don't quote me) that it's a photographer that is doing the photos:/ I had to schedule a time/daythat the "photographer" was there. I will let you know how it goes. I think some insurances cover the cost, however, the Derm at Penn told me that he didn't think mine covered it–and I have pretty good insurance. Oh well, if it helps me I guess it's worth it. Just unsure what I am to do with the whole process other than comparing for any changes.

Michelle820
                Participant

I believe (don't quote me) that it's a photographer that is doing the photos:/ I had to schedule a time/daythat the "photographer" was there. I will let you know how it goes. I think some insurances cover the cost, however, the Derm at Penn told me that he didn't think mine covered it–and I have pretty good insurance. Oh well, if it helps me I guess it's worth it. Just unsure what I am to do with the whole process other than comparing for any changes.

Michelle820
                  Participant

Aloha14
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

I've had them done twice.  It's done as artfully as can be done.  Minimal embarassment.  None of this is easy but think of it this way – if the photo session saves you from unnecessary biopsies and gives you that baseline that helps curb "imagination", it's time well spent.   It's what I say to myself every time I see my derm.  "10 minutes of embarassment to save my life".  Is that reallly so bad?  I think it's totally worth it.  It's all about attitude.  I just find a topic of conversation or questions and try to distract myself during visits.

Michelle820
                        Participant

Thanks, good idea! Guess it's not a good time to discuss diet and exercise though!!! Lol

Michelle820
                          Participant

Thanks, good idea! Guess it's not a good time to discuss diet and exercise though!!! Lol

Michelle820
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

I've had them done twice.  It's done as artfully as can be done.  Minimal embarassment.  None of this is easy but think of it this way – if the photo session saves you from unnecessary biopsies and gives you that baseline that helps curb "imagination", it's time well spent.   It's what I say to myself every time I see my derm.  "10 minutes of embarassment to save my life".  Is that reallly so bad?  I think it's totally worth it.  It's all about attitude.  I just find a topic of conversation or questions and try to distract myself during visits.

Janner
                              Participant

_Paul_
                                Participant

I did it. They called it grid photography. In a well lit studio, about 30 photos were taken, with a ruler in each image. The lighting is very important to get a uniform set of photos.

My dermatologist always refers to these during a skin check, and has found new nevi this way. My insurance covered the  $1,000 for the pics. I have both prints and a disc.

All the best – Paul

_Paul_
                                  Participant

I did it. They called it grid photography. In a well lit studio, about 30 photos were taken, with a ruler in each image. The lighting is very important to get a uniform set of photos.

My dermatologist always refers to these during a skin check, and has found new nevi this way. My insurance covered the  $1,000 for the pics. I have both prints and a disc.

All the best – Paul

Michelle820
                                      Participant

Thank you! And all the best to you too:)

Michelle820
                                        Participant

Michelle820
                                          Participant

_Paul_
                                          Participant

All the best – Paul

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics