The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Body donation for Melanoma Research

Forums General Melanoma Community Body donation for Melanoma Research

Participant

Eric has decided to donate his body for research to a local medical college.  After reading the article in the New York Times, we wondered if there was some place that he could donate his body where it would specifically be used for Melanoma Research.

Thanks, JillNEric In OH

Eric has decided to donate his body for research to a local medical college.  After reading the article in the New York Times, we wondered if there was some place that he could donate his body where it would specifically be used for Melanoma Research.

Thanks, JillNEric In OH

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Jill,

You husband is so brave & wonderful. I do not know the answer to your question but I wanted to reply to your post.

How is Eric doing??? Are you still planning on doing Braf?

May God watch over you both.

killmel
          Participant

Jill,

You husband is so brave & wonderful. I do not know the answer to your question but I wanted to reply to your post.

How is Eric doing??? Are you still planning on doing Braf?

May God watch over you both.

Lori C
            Participant

Hi Jill,

My uncle donated his body to medical research.  He went through a medical school.  I do believe it is possible to donate it for education about a specific disease; I would contact a melanoma center that is a teaching hospital and ask what the process is.   It is a valuable and wonderful thing to do.

You and Eric are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lori C
              Participant

Hi Jill,

My uncle donated his body to medical research.  He went through a medical school.  I do believe it is possible to donate it for education about a specific disease; I would contact a melanoma center that is a teaching hospital and ask what the process is.   It is a valuable and wonderful thing to do.

You and Eric are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sherron
                Participant

What a wonderful thing to do.  I know this a trying time for the both of you.  Thinking of you and praying for you.  I am still dealing with my loss of Jim the best I can.  After 43 years, it is very difficult.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                  Participant

What a wonderful thing to do.  I know this a trying time for the both of you.  Thinking of you and praying for you.  I am still dealing with my loss of Jim the best I can.  After 43 years, it is very difficult.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

EricNJill
                    Participant

Thank you for the replies.  Yes, we are still going to try and get into the BRAF trial.  We are flying to Nashville, TN via Angel Flight East on January 6th.  It will be our initial visit with Dr. Infante.  I am praying that he can get into a combination trial.  I've been doing a lot of reading about the inhibitors helping to keep the Melanoma from relapsing.  But honestly, we will take what we can get.  He needs a miracle. 

Eric is doing better but the cancer is still raging on.  The extreme fatigues and mental changes are much better.  He still gets a little confused but nothing like this past month.  He really has made leaps and bounds in improvement.  We had a wheelchair for him and he really doesn't need it that often.  The down side is that the cancer is very active.  We watch as the old tumors grow and new ones pop up.  His leg is so swollen and hot from activity that he needs an ice pack on it to keep comfortable.  He is truly an amazing man…

Our goal is to help spread the word about Melanoma and to also do anything we can do to help research.  No one should have to endure all that he has or what anyone else has on here. 

I've updated our blog with new pictures of Eric's leg.  Please take the time to read the blog and SHARE with everyone! 

Thank you!  JillNEric in OH

http://melanomasucks.blogspot.com/2010/04/dieing-to-have-that-beautiful-tan.html

Vermont_Donna
                        Participant

Dear Jill and Eric,

Wishing you the best of luck with attempting to get into the BRAF trial! I am amazed at how Eric's ability to get around, with his leg looking like it does. It must be so painful! I have looked at the pictures on your blog many times today and showed my kids…I have melanoma in my right leg too, and it doesnt look anywhere near like his leg, but they are such graphic pictures and I worry that this is the path I am headed on too. You are both so brave. What a horrible disease, look what it does to your body and organs. I am BRAF negative, but am doing IPI, am halfway through. I am scared as the melanoma in my leg has multiplied fourfold in the last month. Again best of luck.

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                          Participant

Dear Jill and Eric,

Wishing you the best of luck with attempting to get into the BRAF trial! I am amazed at how Eric's ability to get around, with his leg looking like it does. It must be so painful! I have looked at the pictures on your blog many times today and showed my kids…I have melanoma in my right leg too, and it doesnt look anywhere near like his leg, but they are such graphic pictures and I worry that this is the path I am headed on too. You are both so brave. What a horrible disease, look what it does to your body and organs. I am BRAF negative, but am doing IPI, am halfway through. I am scared as the melanoma in my leg has multiplied fourfold in the last month. Again best of luck.

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

EricNJill
                          Participant

Thank you for the replies.  Yes, we are still going to try and get into the BRAF trial.  We are flying to Nashville, TN via Angel Flight East on January 6th.  It will be our initial visit with Dr. Infante.  I am praying that he can get into a combination trial.  I've been doing a lot of reading about the inhibitors helping to keep the Melanoma from relapsing.  But honestly, we will take what we can get.  He needs a miracle. 

Eric is doing better but the cancer is still raging on.  The extreme fatigues and mental changes are much better.  He still gets a little confused but nothing like this past month.  He really has made leaps and bounds in improvement.  We had a wheelchair for him and he really doesn't need it that often.  The down side is that the cancer is very active.  We watch as the old tumors grow and new ones pop up.  His leg is so swollen and hot from activity that he needs an ice pack on it to keep comfortable.  He is truly an amazing man…

Our goal is to help spread the word about Melanoma and to also do anything we can do to help research.  No one should have to endure all that he has or what anyone else has on here. 

I've updated our blog with new pictures of Eric's leg.  Please take the time to read the blog and SHARE with everyone! 

Thank you!  JillNEric in OH

http://melanomasucks.blogspot.com/2010/04/dieing-to-have-that-beautiful-tan.html

truwill
                            Participant

HI JILL,

Just saw your post after I just posted mine. I think that's an absolutely great thing to give others that suffer from this horrible thing. You have put the thought in my head that maybe I would like to help in anyway I could to this research.

truwill
                              Participant

HI JILL,

Just saw your post after I just posted mine. I think that's an absolutely great thing to give others that suffer from this horrible thing. You have put the thought in my head that maybe I would like to help in anyway I could to this research.

Wife of Carl
                                Participant

Hi Jill,

It is  wonderful and generous to donate a body to research.  I am responding to your post because my husband is in a MEK trial in Nashville.  He sees Dr. Infante.  We were in Nashville yesterday.  Dr. Infante is a great doctor.  The MEK trial has been a miracle for my husband.  All of his tumors have shrunk.  He has been on the trial since May.  I hope that there is a miracle waiting around the corner for you and Eric. 

There is a very nice Hope Lodge in Nashville near the Sarah Cannon Research Institute that you will be eligible to stay at free after your first visit.  Ask at the appointment desk about this.   I will be thinking of you in January. 

Best of Luck,

Pat

Terra
                                    Participant

I hope this will be themiracle Eric needs, we will be praying for youboth.

Terra
                                      Participant

I hope this will be themiracle Eric needs, we will be praying for youboth.

Wife of Carl
                                      Participant

Hi Jill,

It is  wonderful and generous to donate a body to research.  I am responding to your post because my husband is in a MEK trial in Nashville.  He sees Dr. Infante.  We were in Nashville yesterday.  Dr. Infante is a great doctor.  The MEK trial has been a miracle for my husband.  All of his tumors have shrunk.  He has been on the trial since May.  I hope that there is a miracle waiting around the corner for you and Eric. 

There is a very nice Hope Lodge in Nashville near the Sarah Cannon Research Institute that you will be eligible to stay at free after your first visit.  Ask at the appointment desk about this.   I will be thinking of you in January. 

Best of Luck,

Pat

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Thinking of you both and praying that this treatment is the miracle that both you and Eric need.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Thinking of you both and praying that this treatment is the miracle that both you and Eric need.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics