The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bob Dylan

Forums General Melanoma Community Bob Dylan

Participant

Sheesh, did anybody else see him sing (croak?) Ain't Gonna Work on Maggies's Farm No More on the Emmys show recently. They tried to drown him out with loud back up singers and musicians but the croaking seeped thru. The man looked like a sack of potatoes. What happened? Has he been in rehab or what. I mean the guy was truely amazing back in the 60's when I was a college student. And he still toured until fairly recently. Maybe he had laryngitis but it was pitiful. I saw Joan Baez recently and to me she is still a beauty and can sing high and clear. 

Sheesh, did anybody else see him sing (croak?) Ain't Gonna Work on Maggies's Farm No More on the Emmys show recently. They tried to drown him out with loud back up singers and musicians but the croaking seeped thru. The man looked like a sack of potatoes. What happened? Has he been in rehab or what. I mean the guy was truely amazing back in the 60's when I was a college student. And he still toured until fairly recently. Maybe he had laryngitis but it was pitiful. I saw Joan Baez recently and to me she is still a beauty and can sing high and clear. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

err what emmy show recently?didnt think 2011 were until june or something and I cannot see Bob Dylan doing the emmy's most weird.

dian in spokane
            Participant

Bonnie, Bill probably meant the Grammies.

I never watch the grammies, since they are such a far ce, and I'd have to be falling down drunk to listen to that much popular music. So I didn't see mr D on the TV.

But I've had the great opportunity to see him more than a few times, and his performances are always unpredictable. Sometimes, they are full of anguish and anger and soul and fire, and other times they are perfunctory and condescending, without the least bit of feeling..like he's just there to pick up his  check. Which isn't great for those folks who pay a mess of money to see him.

His voice has never been what one would classify as 'sweet'. Bill..he's just getting old. The life of a successful muisican can be pretty debilitating. Look at most of those old rockers. Holy Moly.

The only one I can think of who looks BETTER than when he was young is that Jon Bon Jovi. Cripes he's cute!

Bonnie Lea
              Participant

thankyou Dian I could never imagine even Mr. D doing the grammies.  However, I have been a fan of his since the 60's along with Baez and old Judy Collins, and all the 'folk' singers from that era.  Peace Out  like.   My brother met Mr. D several times, and Joan as well, and went to many concerts even when he lived in Japan and Dylan toured there. a real fan.

His wife played Dylan songs at his memorial in Japan, and we all played songs here when she came  to Canada following his death to be with family.

Do you remember at all when he 'went electric"  what a hooplah that was….you would think the world ended hahah, I must admit I felt a little bit off kilter for a bit.

One song always stuck in my mind,  Masters of War…. though I prefer the Byrds rendition of Mr. Tamborine Man haha his voice is just like you say, if he wants to put it out there he does.

I also love Leonard Cohen  so that tells alot about me I guess.  YES Jon Bon Jovi just gets cuter by the day, but poor Rick Springfield, seems to have such DEEEEEP wrinkles man….scares me…..and Keith Richards looks veddy veddy scarwee now….. sigh……..I ain't so hot neither….wrinkles appearing double sigh……..but…..I still have all ME TEEF! and THREE  (count em  THREE   3   TRES  eyelids  WITH EYELASHES!  (alas one eyelash is pure white though,  that is a mystery)  Long live Bob Dylan!cool

Bonnie Lea
                Participant

thankyou Dian I could never imagine even Mr. D doing the grammies.  However, I have been a fan of his since the 60's along with Baez and old Judy Collins, and all the 'folk' singers from that era.  Peace Out  like.   My brother met Mr. D several times, and Joan as well, and went to many concerts even when he lived in Japan and Dylan toured there. a real fan.

His wife played Dylan songs at his memorial in Japan, and we all played songs here when she came  to Canada following his death to be with family.

Do you remember at all when he 'went electric"  what a hooplah that was….you would think the world ended hahah, I must admit I felt a little bit off kilter for a bit.

One song always stuck in my mind,  Masters of War…. though I prefer the Byrds rendition of Mr. Tamborine Man haha his voice is just like you say, if he wants to put it out there he does.

I also love Leonard Cohen  so that tells alot about me I guess.  YES Jon Bon Jovi just gets cuter by the day, but poor Rick Springfield, seems to have such DEEEEEP wrinkles man….scares me…..and Keith Richards looks veddy veddy scarwee now….. sigh……..I ain't so hot neither….wrinkles appearing double sigh……..but…..I still have all ME TEEF! and THREE  (count em  THREE   3   TRES  eyelids  WITH EYELASHES!  (alas one eyelash is pure white though,  that is a mystery)  Long live Bob Dylan!cool

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Bonnie, Bill probably meant the Grammies.

I never watch the grammies, since they are such a far ce, and I'd have to be falling down drunk to listen to that much popular music. So I didn't see mr D on the TV.

But I've had the great opportunity to see him more than a few times, and his performances are always unpredictable. Sometimes, they are full of anguish and anger and soul and fire, and other times they are perfunctory and condescending, without the least bit of feeling..like he's just there to pick up his  check. Which isn't great for those folks who pay a mess of money to see him.

His voice has never been what one would classify as 'sweet'. Bill..he's just getting old. The life of a successful muisican can be pretty debilitating. Look at most of those old rockers. Holy Moly.

The only one I can think of who looks BETTER than when he was young is that Jon Bon Jovi. Cripes he's cute!

Bonnie Lea
                  Participant

err what emmy show recently?didnt think 2011 were until june or something and I cannot see Bob Dylan doing the emmy's most weird.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics