The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BMS Ipi & Nivo combo trial — 13wk scan update

Forums General Melanoma Community BMS Ipi & Nivo combo trial — 13wk scan update

Participant

Hello —

I have stage IV melanoma with several abdominal mets, and am travelling to Memorial-Sloan-Kettering in NY to be part of this trial:

CA209-004, A Phase Ib, Open-Label, Multicenter Dose-Escalation Study of MDX-1106 (Nivolumab; BMS-936558) in Combination with Ipilimumab (BMS-734016) in Subjects with Unresectable Stage III or Stage IV Malignant Melanoma

I've received my first four doses (the ipi & nivo in combination), and am now going to get the nivolumab alone every two weeks. 

I recently had my first scans, and there were no new mets, and an overall reduction in the existing lesions of 62%. (the largest was about 7 x 5 cm, and that's shrunk by half). 

They will scan again in mid-December.

I'm on Prednisone now for some Ipi-induced colitis, but that's OK. 

Cautiously relieved and hopeful that others can also benefit from the new research in the area. 

-Ursula

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

That is really good news!

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Tina

BrianP
              Participant

Ursula,

That is fantastic news! So happy to hear you are a responder.

I got pretty good news on my first scans as well. I'm in the BMS sequential trial of IPI/Nivo.  I completed my 12 week cycle of the six infusions of Nivo a few weeks ago and the scans after that showed no new mets and shrinkage in the two mets I have.  One went from 3.6 x 2.6 (axial plane) x 2.6 cm (CC) down to  2.8 x 2.2 (axial plane) x 2.1 cm (CC) and the other went from 18 x 13 (trv) x 18mm (CC) to 16 x 10 (trv) x mm.  The way they calculated the % of shrinkage was a little confusing and I can't remember the exact figures but all I know is that they were both smaller and smaller is better!

Had my first IPI infusion a couple weeks ago.  So far so good.  The only real side effect I seemed to experience on the Nivo was stiffness in my hands which is continuing a little now into the IPI.  Since starting the IPI I probably have a little less energy but it's not really impacting me that much.  I just fall asleep quicker at night ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope the good news continues for you and I hope the colitis is under control for you.

Brian

Maureen038
                  Participant

Ursula and Brian,

I am so happy for both of you on your results!! That's such wonderful news! I am hoping and praying that my husband sees results too. He won't have scans until the beginning of January. He is on the exact trial as Ursula and has his third infusion next week. He just started having some fatigue and nausea. You will both be in my prayers that you continue to get great results. Take care.

Maureen

NYKaren
                    Participant

Hi guys, great news to hear from you both!

Ursula, I had the same Ipi-induced colitis…had to have 2 (separate, about a month apart) doses of Remicade to resolve it.  It was like a miracle drug for me!  I had to call in to Dr. Wolchok's office every day to tell them about my bowel movements.    I took Budesonide, some Immodium and Prednisone just to get out of the house!   

Continued good scans, you are both in  my prayers.

Karen

UrsulaZ
                      Participant

Brian, I was thinking about you the other day — I'm so glad that you've had response as well.

Thank you, Maureen & Karen!

I feel as though I have a bit of time to breathe and go tobogganing with my kids. Small pleasures. (well; huge pleasures, really). 

UrsulaZ
                        Participant

Brian, I was thinking about you the other day — I'm so glad that you've had response as well.

I feel as though I have a bit of time to breathe and go tobogganing with my kids. Small pleasures. (well; huge pleasures, really). 

UrsulaZ
                          Participant

NYKaren
                            Participant

Ursula, I had the same Ipi-induced colitis…had to have 2 (separate, about a month apart) doses of Remicade to resolve it.  It was like a miracle drug for me!  I had to call in to Dr. Wolchok's office every day to tell them about my bowel movements.    I took Budesonide, some Immodium and Prednisone just to get out of the house!   

Karen

NYKaren
                              Participant

Karen

Maureen038
                                Participant

Ursula and Brian,

I am so happy for both of you on your results!! That's such wonderful news! I am hoping and praying that my husband sees results too. He won't have scans until the beginning of January. He is on the exact trial as Ursula and has his third infusion next week. He just started having some fatigue and nausea. You will both be in my prayers that you continue to get great results. Take care.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                  Participant

Ursula and Brian,

Maureen

BrianP
                                  Participant

Ursula,

I got pretty good news on my first scans as well. I'm in the BMS sequential trial of IPI/Nivo.  I completed my 12 week cycle of the six infusions of Nivo a few weeks ago and the scans after that showed no new mets and shrinkage in the two mets I have.  One went from 3.6 x 2.6 (axial plane) x 2.6 cm (CC) down to  2.8 x 2.2 (axial plane) x 2.1 cm (CC) and the other went from 18 x 13 (trv) x 18mm (CC) to 16 x 10 (trv) x mm.  The way they calculated the % of shrinkage was a little confusing and I can't remember the exact figures but all I know is that they were both smaller and smaller is better!

Had my first IPI infusion a couple weeks ago.  So far so good.  The only real side effect I seemed to experience on the Nivo was stiffness in my hands which is continuing a little now into the IPI.  Since starting the IPI I probably have a little less energy but it's not really impacting me that much.  I just fall asleep quicker at night ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope the good news continues for you and I hope the colitis is under control for you.

Brian

BrianP
                                    Participant

Ursula,

Brian

Globetrotter
                                      Participant

hi ursula et al .. happy new year!! i was wondering how your ipi/nivo treatment was coming along and what side effects u have been experiencing … wishing you all a healthy 2014!!!

Globetrotter
                                        Participant

hi ursula et al .. happy new year!! i was wondering how your ipi/nivo treatment was coming along and what side effects u have been experiencing … wishing you all a healthy 2014!!!

Globetrotter
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics