The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Blood work while on Keytruda/PD-1

Forums General Melanoma Community Blood work while on Keytruda/PD-1

Participant

After searching for hours and hours, I can't find any information on the way Keytruda impacts your blood work.  What has been your experience?  Do any of you know?

I am a newly diagnosed Stage IV melanoma groupie.  I got really sick with pneumonia and the doctors found a tumor the size of a tennis ball in my left lung.  I also have brain mets.  I have undergone Gamma Knife and lung radiation and I have had my third dose of Keytruda.  I will be scanned just after Christmas to see if the Keytruda is working.  I am being treated at the Mayo Clinic.  I had a small melanoma taken off my back in 2006, I guess some of its ugly cells decided to stay around.

Anyway, since the beginning my blood work has shown I am anemic.  The docs thought I had internal bleeding, so I have had colonoscopy, upper endoscopy and I just did the PillCam test this last week and awaiting results.  They are trying to find out why I am anemic with no improvement, even after two IV iron injections.  In addition to being anemic, this last visit I was diagnosed with leucopenia with lymphopenia and neutropenia…in normal English I think it means my white blood cell count is low.  It has been low for months and all the different types of white blood cells are low.  

So, have any of you had this?  Isn't the point of Keytruda to boost my immune system and my T-cells?  Did the rest of you see your white blood cell count go up or down while on a PD-1?  

A bit about me…I am a 41 year-old mother of five living in Bettendorf, Iowa.  I worked part-time as a divorce lawyer until I had baby number 3 and then after that I have stayed home full time.  (Maybe the melanoma is payment for me breaking up families!)  My children are 14, 12, 9, 4 and 3 years old.  This melanoma has rocked all of our world.  It has been so difficult, which you all understand.  Thank you for understanding.

I appreciate any of your thoughts and insights.

Allyson

P.S.  There are always references to tumor burden, yet I can never figure out what it means.  What constitutes high tumor burden compared to low tumor burden?  Is it size, number of tumors, etc?  

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Well I think anemic is when the hemoglobin is low. On pd1 mine slowly went down. Then they added abraxane and it had a larger drop. So they plan to give me blood if it drops again. But they said it had nothing to do with iron or anything with my diet. For me it was the abraxane although they never explained why my hemoglobin kept dropping slowly on pd1 just that my platelets were good so I was ok. Your doc should be able to explain what pd1 causes in blood work. They did for me but I don't remember all of it. When I say slowly it took over a year to drop into the red then with abraxane a larger drop in the red.

For white blood cells that is difficult to answer. I don't think pd1 has anything to do with giving you more white blood cells. It has to do with the pd1 medicine when it detects a white blood cell it attaches to it and dissolves the pd1 protein from the white blood cell. Then they call it an activated tcell that floats around and hopefully sees a cancer cell. When it does it attaches to it and destroys it then continues to the next cancer cell. One tcell can destroy up to 1000 cancer cells before it is depleted. So that could be a reason your white blood cells are low because they are destroying cancer cells. Also a reason to eat and drink healthy to keep those counts up. My white blood cells are typically high normal. I was above normal until the abraxane which dropped me back to high normal.

As far as tumor burden I think it's a combination of number of tumors and size and how you feel. Like one or two really big tumors or a bunch of small could be in my opinion high tumor burden. But the term really doesn't have any real use that I know of.

My doc up at Mayo is dr Kasi. He's a very caring doc. He's the only one that has called me on the phone and on several occasions. I really liked it there if I had to be at some medical place. But I'm going to md Anderson for now for consult and treated at home in Saint Louis.

Hope that helps.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

Well I think anemic is when the hemoglobin is low. On pd1 mine slowly went down. Then they added abraxane and it had a larger drop. So they plan to give me blood if it drops again. But they said it had nothing to do with iron or anything with my diet. For me it was the abraxane although they never explained why my hemoglobin kept dropping slowly on pd1 just that my platelets were good so I was ok. Your doc should be able to explain what pd1 causes in blood work. They did for me but I don't remember all of it. When I say slowly it took over a year to drop into the red then with abraxane a larger drop in the red.

For white blood cells that is difficult to answer. I don't think pd1 has anything to do with giving you more white blood cells. It has to do with the pd1 medicine when it detects a white blood cell it attaches to it and dissolves the pd1 protein from the white blood cell. Then they call it an activated tcell that floats around and hopefully sees a cancer cell. When it does it attaches to it and destroys it then continues to the next cancer cell. One tcell can destroy up to 1000 cancer cells before it is depleted. So that could be a reason your white blood cells are low because they are destroying cancer cells. Also a reason to eat and drink healthy to keep those counts up. My white blood cells are typically high normal. I was above normal until the abraxane which dropped me back to high normal.

As far as tumor burden I think it's a combination of number of tumors and size and how you feel. Like one or two really big tumors or a bunch of small could be in my opinion high tumor burden. But the term really doesn't have any real use that I know of.

My doc up at Mayo is dr Kasi. He's a very caring doc. He's the only one that has called me on the phone and on several occasions. I really liked it there if I had to be at some medical place. But I'm going to md Anderson for now for consult and treated at home in Saint Louis.

Hope that helps.

Artie

AllysonRuth
              Participant

Thanks for the response, Artie.    I have both aneima, low red counts, and low white counts.  My Dr. at Mayo said they don't typcially see this with Keytruda, but I was just curious if anyone out there in the blogosphere has both low red and white counts on Keytruda.  

Also, Artie, I have read most of the your posts.  I am amazed at your spirit, tenacity, and courage.  When I read about how you have appoached this disease and I am inspired.  

I am very pleased with the treatment at Mayo.  I will look up Dr. Kasi…he is not my Dr, but I will am always curious and will look him up!

AllysonRuth
                Participant

Thanks for the response, Artie.    I have both aneima, low red counts, and low white counts.  My Dr. at Mayo said they don't typcially see this with Keytruda, but I was just curious if anyone out there in the blogosphere has both low red and white counts on Keytruda.  

Also, Artie, I have read most of the your posts.  I am amazed at your spirit, tenacity, and courage.  When I read about how you have appoached this disease and I am inspired.  

I am very pleased with the treatment at Mayo.  I will look up Dr. Kasi…he is not my Dr, but I will am always curious and will look him up!

AllysonRuth
                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Hope that helps.

Artie

Mat
                    Participant

Allyson, sorry to hear about your current situation.  Regarding tumor burden, I don't think there is a bright line rule.  You can have a dozen small tumors and be considered to have a low tumor burden, or just a few large ones and be considered to have a high burden.  Best wishes for success on Keytruda.  I did have a low white count for a few weeks while on Keytruda.  The doctors mentioned it as being odd but it eventually resolved.

Mat
                      Participant

Allyson, sorry to hear about your current situation.  Regarding tumor burden, I don't think there is a bright line rule.  You can have a dozen small tumors and be considered to have a low tumor burden, or just a few large ones and be considered to have a high burden.  Best wishes for success on Keytruda.  I did have a low white count for a few weeks while on Keytruda.  The doctors mentioned it as being odd but it eventually resolved.

Mat
                        Participant

mrsaxde
                          Participant

Hi Allyson,

I started on Keytruda in July. I've had something like 6 or 7 infusions so far. My blood work has remained mostly normal, with the following exceptions:

My hemoglobin and hematocrit are both running a little low. They told me that compared to most of their patients, mine wasn't bad at all. But it was below the low end of the reference range.

My eosinophils have been high. I've read somewhere that they think that could be a marker that shows that I am responding to the Keytruda, so that one I'm happy about.

As for tumor burden, you pretty much nailed it. It's the number of tumors, size, location, etc. Mine, for example, is pretty low. Several spots on my skin, and in one lung. Everything in my lung is less than 1 cm.

I hope this info helps!

-Bill

mrsaxde
                            Participant

Hi Allyson,

I started on Keytruda in July. I've had something like 6 or 7 infusions so far. My blood work has remained mostly normal, with the following exceptions:

My hemoglobin and hematocrit are both running a little low. They told me that compared to most of their patients, mine wasn't bad at all. But it was below the low end of the reference range.

My eosinophils have been high. I've read somewhere that they think that could be a marker that shows that I am responding to the Keytruda, so that one I'm happy about.

As for tumor burden, you pretty much nailed it. It's the number of tumors, size, location, etc. Mine, for example, is pretty low. Several spots on my skin, and in one lung. Everything in my lung is less than 1 cm.

I hope this info helps!

-Bill

mrsaxde
                              Participant

Hi Allyson,

I hope this info helps!

-Bill

tschmith
                                  Participant

Hi Allyson!

I have responded well to Keytruda and am no longer getting infusions.  My last blood work showed that my white blood cell count is below normal.  Everything else is in the normal range.  My doctor feels the low white blood cell count will correct itself.

All my best to you!

Terrie

tschmith
                                    Participant

Hi Allyson!

I have responded well to Keytruda and am no longer getting infusions.  My last blood work showed that my white blood cell count is below normal.  Everything else is in the normal range.  My doctor feels the low white blood cell count will correct itself.

All my best to you!

Terrie

tschmith
                                      Participant

Hi Allyson!

All my best to you!

Terrie

AllysonRuth
                                      Participant

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I really appreciate it.  I have been an observer of this site for a long time, but never posted.  It really is comforting that there is a place where people really understand what it means to diagnosed with melanoma.  

AllysonRuth
                                        Participant

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I really appreciate it.  I have been an observer of this site for a long time, but never posted.  It really is comforting that there is a place where people really understand what it means to diagnosed with melanoma.  

AllysonRuth
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics