The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

blood thinners and fine needle aspiration (fna)- headaches?

Forums General Melanoma Community blood thinners and fine needle aspiration (fna)- headaches?

Participant

I was scheduled for a ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration (biopsy) today and was told that i couldnt take any asprin, aleve, advil, excedrin, etc… as these are all blood thinners. My first question is why does this matter? and second is what do i do for my headaches? i didnt realize when i was at the doctors that all of these things were considered blood thinners and didnt get to ask what i could take for a headache. since i have a splitting one now, im hoping someone will know the answer to this. 

thanks!!

dj

I was scheduled for a ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration (biopsy) today and was told that i couldnt take any asprin, aleve, advil, excedrin, etc… as these are all blood thinners. My first question is why does this matter? and second is what do i do for my headaches? i didnt realize when i was at the doctors that all of these things were considered blood thinners and didnt get to ask what i could take for a headache. since i have a splitting one now, im hoping someone will know the answer to this. 

thanks!!

dj

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Aspirin, Aleve and Ibuprofin are blood thinners.  So is Vitamin E.  Tylenol is not and ok to take.  Narcotics are not and some have Tylenol in them.

Why does it matter?  They want to prevent any extra bleeding which would be more likely with blood thinners on board.  Bleeding could cause more complications.  It's a precaution and pretty much standard with any surgical procedure.  Depending on the location of the FNA, there could be more/less blood vessels and your risk might be higher or lower.  But it's pretty standard procedure overall.

Janner
          Participant

Aspirin, Aleve and Ibuprofin are blood thinners.  So is Vitamin E.  Tylenol is not and ok to take.  Narcotics are not and some have Tylenol in them.

Why does it matter?  They want to prevent any extra bleeding which would be more likely with blood thinners on board.  Bleeding could cause more complications.  It's a precaution and pretty much standard with any surgical procedure.  Depending on the location of the FNA, there could be more/less blood vessels and your risk might be higher or lower.  But it's pretty standard procedure overall.

Janner
            Participant

washoegal
              Participant

About the only thing I know of is tylenol.  You also have to be careful of alot of other supplements not mentioned in the post above.

washoegal
                Participant

About the only thing I know of is tylenol.  You also have to be careful of alot of other supplements not mentioned in the post above.

washoegal
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics