The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Black Lymph Nodes?

Forums General Melanoma Community Black Lymph Nodes?

Participant

So my husband just told me this, when they removed some of my lymph nodes they were black. My surgeon said he’d never seen that before and wasn’t sure what it meant. Have any of you heard of this?? I tried looking it up and couldn’t find anything related. I thought I was very strange. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        rainrrr
        Participant
          My lymph nodes also came back black. Pathology showed they they were 85% taken over by melanoma
          Toby0987
          Participant

If you’ve had any tattoos the black ink will migrate and stay in the lymph nodes according to my surgeon at mayo. He said that was one of his test questions that he gave to his students. So the answer to your question is it melanoma when the lymph nodes are black? The only person that knows is pathology-no one else including the surgeon knows

ed williams
            Participant

Hi Savannah, waiting for results from a SLNB is always hard. I hope that things come back negative and life can get back to a new normal for you!!! However, with melanoma being prepared is always a good thing and there is a series on Onclive that has been coming out over the last few weeks one video at a time, covering the topic of adjuvant treatment. So far 6 different videos have come out and it they cover the subject in great depth, the panel is top notch from the leading hospitals in the US. Here is a link to the page on Onclive! Best Wishes!!! Ed https://www.onclive.com/peer-exchange/advanced-melanoma-paradigms/considerations-for-surgery-in-melanoma

lkb
                Participant

Thanks very much, Ed, for the link. So helpful.

MelanomaMike
                Participant
                  Hi Savannah, wow, alot of my surgeries where performed in areas where i have Tattoos someone mentioned this already (cant remember who), but if yer tattoo free Melanoma can turn black after long residency in our bodies its evil thats why…..Stay strong Sis! Fight! Fight!..Mike..
                  KellyH
                  Participant

Hi Savannah. 

Our surgeon told us at that melanoma can turn the lymph nodes black when it has spread…with that being said my sons sentinel lymph node was “pink and healthy looking” according to the surgeon and it still tested positive for microscopic melanoma. So unfortunately a clinical assessment by the surgeon is not all that accurate….pathology results are the only true way to know if the melanoma has spread. 

Waiting is the worst part….the not knowing feels like torture. Hang in there!!!! 

Kelly 🙂 

dbJoe
                    Participant

I have unknown primary, so my tale skips all the surface stuff. When I awoke after my first surgery (removal of 4cm supraclavicular node along with the cluster) my surgeon described them as black, and the look on his face made me think he'd found a turd. Evidentally, he hadn't seen any in such condition, and chastized me again for being a smoker. We got on the same page afterwards, and I rewarded him by allowing the removal of a handful of axillary nodes along with a laproscapy to 'look around'. I swear, the recovery from getting blown up with CO2 was the worst of it, I felt like a deboned chicken.

After 4 infusions of ipi 3mg/kg adjuvant, three years later I remain NED. Yee haw.

My oncologist said to me at my first visit "We don't know until we know.  We need to wait for the pathology.  Once we have that then we make a plan."  It was the truth.  They might speculate or give options, if it is X then we start with Y.  My best doctors have been data driven.  They test, they observe, they conclude, and then they act.  The waiting is one of the toughest part.  Waiting for pathology or waiting to have a scan or waiting for the scan results.  You can do this.  Take a breath and know we all wait with you; hoping for the best result.

Good wishes to you,

Jennifer

Brittany1999
                      Participant

My lymph nodes were described as pigmented. They tested positive for melanoma. I’ve always interpreted the “pigmented” to mean they were visually different from the surrounding tissue/lymph nodes.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics