The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy results sound complicated

Forums General Melanoma Community Biopsy results sound complicated

Participant

Thanks everyone for being so supportive.  

My doctor office sent biopsy results.  Working through them right now.  Made appointment for Surgeon on April 1. 

Learning a lot 

Breslow thickness 2.8mm 

Clark's III – IV

Ulceration present 

Periphereal and Deep margins uninvolved. 

Mitopic Rate – 6 per mm 

Statelltosis – Lymphovascular invasion – neurotropism –  Tumor regression all not identified. 

Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes – Present – not brisk 

pT3b (aac) 

Feeling a bit anxious but calm enough to get through the next week or so. It is a great comfort to read through the board.  

Knowledge is power !!

Annie

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Annie, so here we go with what is important at this point. One, pt3b tells you all about the mole they removed and how deep it was and ulceration etc. Now, what comes next, usual and standard approach is to do a SLND (Sentinel lymph node dissection) see following video that explains how that happens. When they do SLND the surgeon will also take margins around where mole was removed, in the video you will see how oncologist make decision on that. If you have any question following watching the video feel free to ask!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_T186r5gIE

anniemac
            Participant

Thanks Ed,

this is an amazing video.  Gives my a good idea of whats to come.  I appreciate your reply.

Annie

Jamie1960
              Participant

You ar.e your own best advocate, so be aggressive in your follow up; dermatologist every six months and surgical oncologist who performed SLND every six months. If you can arrange it, schedule these visits so that do not overlap, i.e., so that see someone every three months or so. The standard protocol is to do this until you are clear for 5 years. This said, no one knows your body as well as you do, so stay on your ABCDE self-checks, keeping an eye out for the "ugly duckling" which seems different to you than other moles, keep an eye on these, and point them out during your periodic visits. The foregoing may result in biopsies with negative results but, as those on this board will attest, it beats the alternative. Best of success to you !

anniemac
                Participant

thanks for reply.  Very helpful advice. 

stars
                Participant

It's good to be fully informed. The good news is that the melanoma has been completely excised (peripheral and deep margins uninvolved). The not so good news is the depth (deep enough to require a SLNB), ulceration (not seen as a good indicator), mitotic rate (reasonably high, meaning actively growing). Of all these, though, the main thing is Breslow depth. 2.8mm is intermediate thickness so comes with a slight risk of spread to lymph nodes. I wish you all the best in your journey. The main thing is that the little sucker is gone for now and likely for good!

anniemac
                    Participant

Thanks for breaking it down for me.  I am planning on telling my 4 adult kids and will use your words to paint a picture for them.  Lots of thanks.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics